UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Dec 9, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #436 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxAmplitude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No problem... an XM5 will be in your hands this week.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I'll check your PM soon, and work something out. I didn't see this until it was almost bedtime, as it has been a crazy crazy day today.

FYI the tracking number says the XM5 was signed for at your office at 10:44 this morning - 14 minutes later than UPS's "guaranteed" 10:30AM delivery. Bah.

Dec 9, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #437 of 1,096
Quote:

FYI the tracking number says the XM5 was signed for at your office at 10:44 this morning - 14 minutes later than UPS's "guaranteed" 10:30AM delivery. Bah.

Well, that really burns my butt because I went to get packages at 10:30 and missed them, so now I have to go back on the icy roads to do it again.
tongue.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #438 of 1,096
Quote:

Hey, this XM5 sounds like you already burned it in for me, yes?

Or, did you secretly upgrade the opamps in it while I wasn't looking?

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #439 of 1,096
Quote:

Larry, ALL of the amps you get are upgraded secretly...
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #440 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry, ALL of the amps you get are upgraded secretly...
biggrin.gif

Well, this review might take me just a little longer because I may also need to try it with OPA627 and AD743 opamps (and maybe my NE5534)
tongue.gif

And if I need to give it my usual 300 hours of burn-in then it wont be ready till early monday 12/22, and I go out of the country on 12/23 for 8 days. I could bring it with me so it looks like I have a bomb with it tied to my iMod and portable Vcaps with LOD and mini-mini cable...

After these two amps (XM5 and Nurforce), I want to review the iBasso D10 with optical (if portable).

Dec 10, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #441 of 1,096
Quote:

No, no secret upgrades. This is a stock XM5 with BUF634 buffers. I also included an AD8397 DoubleCat, if you want to do some rolling (the Users Manual describes how to roll the two amp chips and two buffers with the DoubleCat and copper busbars).

As far as burn-in: being a solidstate device, the XM5 should reach its final configuration fairly quick: less than 8 hours or so (several hours of which have already been done at the factory during functional test).

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #442 of 1,096
Quote:

No, no secret upgrades. This is a stock XM5 with BUF634 buffers. I also included an AD8397 DoubleCat, if you want to do some rolling (the Users Manual describes how to roll the two amp chips and two buffers with the DoubleCat and copper busbars).

As far as burn-in: being a solidstate device, the XM5 should reach its final configuration fairly quick: less than 8 hours or so (several hours of which have already been done at the factory during functional test).

PS: You know I was joking about upgrades and already burned-in. It just sounded very nice right out of the box with my ATH-ESW10 and Macbook with lossless or even 256K mp3. Only a few amps arrive sounding really good, and many need 100-300 hours on them.

It has been running since about 8PM last night, and I'd still like to give it a couple hundred hours for any caps or other components to settle. Right now it sounds clean and powerful without coloration, and has only dropped from 8.4v at arrival to 7.7v now after 15 of running at normal/slightly low volumes. With the ability to drop to the low 5v range from full charge to recharge I can see it going almost 40 hours, even with the Buf634 which I like to see in headphone amps like this dual mono amp. Also, I think the DAC input is at least as detailed as the Predator and 2MOVE which are a couple of my top ranked amps, and I think it might actually be the same DAC as the 2MOVE as well. But, I do not think it is as forward as the 2MOVE so far.

As for burn-in: Over the past year many amps I have reviewed like the D3 and PenguinAmps only needed about 75 hours to settle down, with Nuforce needing at least 120-170. And some amps like Lyrix and Headsix needed over 200 but the D2 Viper needed 300 and I had to add changes to my review because of the changes after 185 when I did my first review. My iBasso D1 needed 400 to smooth out the highs but sounded nice out of the box with my SE530 and HD600, and the D2 needed 600 to more fully open the soundstage after my review at 300 hours. The Predator stands out in a field of it's own and was simply crazy. It needed 800-1000 hours for the caps to burn-in fully and didn't sound good enough to keep to my ears before 350 hours (Jamato8 and others concur about the lengthy burn-in, and RSA recommends 600 which did make a big improvement).

After burn-in and initial assessment I am considering trying XM5 with my spare pair of OPA627 and/or AD743, but it turns out I don't have any of my 3 pairs of AD797 here any more (one set went with the D1 I sold, another went with the Xin SM III I sold because it didn't have a DAC, and I gave away a set of 797 to mrarroyo who did me a favor or two). QUESTION: can any opamp be used as a buffer, or are the buffer sockets limited to buf634 only? I don't think others would be as good as the buf634. SECOND: do I need to do the copper bridge if I try the AD8397, or can the buf634 stay? I know the AD8397 is a very high output opamp and doesn't really need buffers, but we used LMH6655 in the iBasso D1 with AD8397 to smooth it out.

I often don't like opening up an amp to roll opamps if the stock sound is good enough to make me happy, and I suspect this will sound good enough that I will feel lazy about rolling...

Dec 10, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #443 of 1,096
Man, that 10/10 for the Predator really makes me want one, even though I already own a SR-71A. But I'm guessing that a Pico DAC + SR-71A will be a great combo as well. Will it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #445 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man, that 10/10 for the Predator really makes me want one, even though I already own a SR-71A. But I'm guessing that a Pico DAC + SR-71A will be a great combo as well. Will it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Remember I said the 10 is a relative 10 - meaning I didn't want to say a 10 is an imaginary perfect portable USB amp, and then rate the real amps for how far below they fall below the mythical 10 that doesn't exist. And I didn't want to compare the portables to a desktop amp that would be set as a 10 since I don't want to mix apples and oranges.

I made the 10 the best portable I have actually heard, and compared the others to that standard. The 10 is based on the absolute enjoyment of the product as a whole, when driving a wide variety of headphones off the computer's USB. If used as a DAC preamp to feed a high end desktop amp the Pico DAC is a 10 while the Predator DAC is a 9.1, or so... The Pico's neutrality and Predator's extra character affect the sound of the desktop amp being driven to varying degrees, and the Pico is more suited to driving most of my desktop amps than the Predator is.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #446 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if u have a blackbird no need for a predator dude if anything get a separate dac I have heard both and the blackbird is just the amp to have if u don't need the dac and smallness

Quote:

Remember I said the 10 is a relative 10 - meaning I didn't want to say a 10 is an imaginary perfect portable USB amp, and then rate the real amps for how far below they fall below the mythical 10 that doesn't exist. And I didn't want to compare the portables to a desktop amp that would be set as a 10 since I don't want to mix apples and oranges.

I made the 10 the best portable I have actually heard, and compared the others to that standard. The 10 is based on the absolute enjoyment of the product as a whole, when driving a wide variety of headphones off the computer's USB. If used as a DAC preamp to feed a high end desktop amp the Pico DAC is a 10 while the Predator DAC is a 9.1, or so... The Pico's neutrality and Predator's extra character affect the sound of the desktop amp being driven to varying degrees, and the Pico is more suited to driving most of my desktop amps than the Predator is.

thanks A LOT guys, that's exactly what I needed to hear( or maybe read
biggrin.gif
) to answer my final questions and being sure to go for a Pico DAC. I have talked to Justin and he's not officially making a pre-order list yet, but he'll be writing my name down so I'll be one of the first to get the new devide, if not the very first one. That makes me feel very special
biggrin.gif

HA, I had that in mind, I just didn't think you ranked your amps like that if used as DAC only. I wanted to get a Predator to "facilitate" things, but I guess I can manage to get a little more space to use a Pico DAC + RSA SR-71A.

I'll be spending a little more money on RCA to RCA and mini to mini cabls, but oh well, my wallet already hates me, so hating a bit more or a bit less won't make much of a difference
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #447 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by dadozen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks A LOT guys, that's exactly what I needed to hear( or maybe read
biggrin.gif
) to answer my final questions and being sure to go for a Pico DAC. I have talked to Justin and he's not officially making a pre-order list yet, but he'll be writing my name down so I'll be one of the first to get the new devide, if not the very first one. That makes me feel very special
biggrin.gif

HA, I had that in mind, I just didn't think you ranked your amps like that if used as DAC only. I wanted to get a Predator to "facilitate" things, but I guess I can manage to get a little more space to use a Pico DAC + RSA SR-71A.

I'll be spending a little more money on RCA to RCA and mini to mini cabls, but oh well, my wallet already hates me, so hating a bit more or a bit less won't make much of a difference
biggrin.gif

Or, if you didn't want to carry around two portable bricks you could just get the original Pico.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, I don't mean to.

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #448 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or, if you didn't want to carry around two portable bricks you could just get the original Pico.

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, I don't mean to.

Didn't sound sarcastic to me
smily_headphones1.gif

thing is, Brighten, that my home rig is my Cantate, which I can't carry everywhere I go when I travel and take my laptop( which has my music library ). I have really liked how RSA amps sound, so I wanted to get a DAC from Ray, but was still deciding if getting a Predator was a good idea.

Then people came up with the idea of waiting for the Pico DAC-only, so I can use it with my SR-71A for a transportable rig( my portable keeps being the ipod + SR-71A + UE TF 10 Pros ) when I happen to be out of home. I won't be carrying around those two "bricks" with me all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

And, after buying the SR-71A, I don't think I'd enjoy that much how the Pico DAC/AMP sound according to what I've read from HA's review. I want to have RSA colored sound from my "transportable rig".

So, this seems to be the most reasonable choice for me, as of now.

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #449 of 1,096
Quote:

... If used as a DAC preamp to feed a high end desktop amp the Pico DAC is a 10 while the Predator DAC is a 9.1, or so...

How would you rank D3 and 2Move as a DAC preamp?

Dec 11, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #450 of 1,096
Quote:

The D3/HD600 was just as exciting with Infected Mushroom "Dancing with the Kadafi" as with the Pico and V1 in my earlier reviews, and I could achieve the same volume levels with the D3 at 4 o'clock as the Pico at 3 o'clock, but past that either amp would start clipping.

Hi Larry, i would like to ask if you are listening to the D3 at high gain with the HD600 at 4 o' clock?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back