UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
May 19, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #181 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by busanblues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guys I need help....i actually found the place to buy the opamps... but I don't know which one i should get.. there are different kinds of lm6172 and THS4032...like THS4032ID and THS4032CD, and for Im6172 there are LM6172IM/NOPB LM6172IM LM6172IN and LM6172IMX... so many diffent stuff and so little knowledge....
well and I will be getting my d2 viper this week and is it good idea to change those opamps right away or do i have to burn in a bit before switching those opamps...and is there any other opamp combos I sould get?? I wanna order all at once...I will be using d2 viper with my laptop and esw9...is there any great combos for esw9...
thank you in advance...

You can find more info on opamps for the D2 over at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/opa...per-d2-308023/

Powertoold reported liking two AD8599 for use with IEMs. He commented they were lighter on the bass.

I didn't spot the post, but I have this info in my notes (from HiFlight, I think):

Quote:

These are the correct Digikey part numbers:

296-7524-5-ND
ISL55002IBZ-T7CT-ND

The first PN is for THS4032CD.

- Dave

May 19, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #183 of 1,096
helpful,thank you,learned a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

May 23, 2008 at 10:38 AM Post #184 of 1,096
Question HeadphoneAddict, not sure if you've addressed this already or not.. did you get to test the Pico as a DAC for your tube amps as you remarked you'd try in your review?

I'm curious as to just how well the Pico would perform as a USB DAC/Preamp driving a more robust headphone amp. The amp section would have to be very linear, neutral and transparent for proper preamp duty, and from what i've read it seems to fit those criteria. I'd be very interested in your impressions.

May 23, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #185 of 1,096
Great review . Just recently got back in to Headphones . All the reviews I have read were Great . I purchased a RSA Predator , ALO Modded HD 600 , ALO Jumbo Mini . I must agree with the Organic sound of the Predator . Nice warmth and smoothness . The DAC sounds terrific . I have been loading all my CD's in the Computer to create a server type of set-up . I have not hooked it up to my Home Rig yet . Need to pick up a cable for that to happen . Leaning towards an ALO Mini to RCA . The reviews on this sight are invaluable to those of us looking for information to make an informed decision on what to purchase . KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK .

May 23, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #186 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah. I don't have any plans right now to acquire a Petite or Leckerton UHA-3, or Total BitHead. I was torn between the D2 and the 2MOVE but,

(1) the 2MOVE is bigger than I wanted and,

(2) I had a store credit with iBasso from a defective P2 (twice) and paid the additional $60 to get the D2 as the third chance at success. The 2MOVE price seems fair, so that wasn't an issue.

(3) if I go for a big one, it might be the HeadRoom Micro Amp with DAC portable. For that, price is an issue ($598).

Which version of the Headroom Micro Amp (2006) did you test? ....the micro module or desktop module?

Here are some other things to consider:

I have the Headroom Micro Amp (2006) with the desktop module installed - it has the better sound quality (according to Headroom) but at the expense of battery life. I only get 2 to 3 hours life from 2 x 9.6v Powerex rechargeable batteries. I love this amp but it is not as 'portable' as I would like.

The Porta 2move is a great choice. It sounds great and lasts for around 12 to 15 hours from a single 1 x 9.6v Powerex rechargeable battery. It also has the built in DAC included which does a great job with my apple lossless music files via usb from the pc.

If I had to choose the between these 2 amps I would pick the 2move as the better 'portable' amp based on its small size, long battery life, built in DAC & equal (but different) sound quality. Oh, & I nearly forgot to mention the price difference!

May 23, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #187 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question HeadphoneAddict, not sure if you've addressed this already or not.. did you get to test the Pico as a DAC for your tube amps as you remarked you'd try in your review?

I'm curious as to just how well the Pico would perform as a USB DAC/Preamp driving a more robust headphone amp. The amp section would have to be very linear, neutral and transparent for proper preamp duty, and from what i've read it seems to fit those criteria. I'd be very interested in your impressions.

It works great feeding my Dark Voice 336i

May 23, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #188 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quokka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which version of the Headroom Micro Amp (2006) did you test? ....the micro module or desktop module?

Here are some other things to consider:

I have the Headroom Micro Amp (2006) with the desktop module installed - it has the better sound quality (according to Headroom) but at the expense of battery life. I only get 2 to 3 hours life from 2 x 9.6v Powerex rechargeable batteries. I love this amp but it is not as 'portable' as I would like.

The Porta 2move is a great choice. It sounds great and lasts for around 12 to 15 hours from a single 1 x 9.6v Powerex rechargeable battery. It also has the built in DAC included which does a great job with my apple lossless music files via usb from the pc.

If I had to choose the between these 2 amps I would pick the 2move as the better 'portable' amp based on its small size, long battery life, built in DAC & equal (but different) sound quality. Oh, & I nearly forgot to mention the price difference!

It was the very last batch of new ones when they discontinued the portable stack, so I assume desktop module. I needed the optical and coax inputs.

May 27, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #190 of 1,096
thank you for recommending me to deal with hiflight.... it was quik...
Now that i have those opamps in my hand... should i put those opamps into my d2 right away or i sould let d2 burn in a little more or alot more... i only have about 50 hours of burn in only.....

May 27, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #191 of 1,096
Quote:

thank you for recommending me to deal with hiflight.... it was quik...
Now that i have those opamps in my hand... should i put those opamps into my d2 right away or i sould let d2 burn in a little more or alot more... i only have about 50 hours of burn in only.....

I burned mine in with new opamps, but I think I read that otheres waited for full burn in before swapping. I'm guessing that's just because they wanted it burned in before they started evaluating. I don't think the opamps are affected by burnin since they're solid state.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to hear the difference with burn-in, but I definately could. I especially noticed improvement in the mids and bottom end. I believe Jam and HeadphoneAddict were recommending something like 400 hours, which is what I did (plugged it in downstairs and played continuous music for 17 days).

May 27, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #195 of 1,096
Quote:

oh, by the way, how is dac section of d2... can I feed tube amp with it...that's when i get a tube amp...(I am still researching..)

Yes, you can, but I would probably change the opamps to the ISL55002 and THS4032 (or to the stock ones) if the tube amp is already fairly forward and warm in the mids (see around the middle 1/3 to halfway part of the thread when I tried this combo of opamps and reported on it).

Here are opamp notes from page 5: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/min...ml#post4004187

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict
I am first listening to the ISL55002 in main (replaced the 1364) and and THS4032 in the second spot (replaced NE5532). This is really nice with the ALO modded 780's (in same room as sleeping wife, so no open phones).

It is not what I expected, but rather with strong bass, smooth highs that are less accentuated than stock when teamed with the 780, and it's very transparent. Pianos and snares are crisp and attack and decay is good. Drums sound good, and bass guitar is tight. Saxophone are nice but maybe a liittle of the warmth is missing on those. Diana Krall's voice in "Temptation" does not have sibilance, and that is my test track for sssssibilance. I have no trouble hearing the knocking artifacts from the piano in "Departure Bay", from pedals and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back