UPDATED 2/22 REVIEW 13 USB DAC amp - Predator, Pico, 2/3MOVE, D10 D3 D2 Viper/Boa D1, Lyrix, MicroAmp, Vivid V1, Nuforce, XM5
Nov 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #946 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by lu-chen-chan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What dou you think would sound better with Livewires ?
1)
DIYmod ipod video 5 with ibasso t3 ,
2) or just ibasso D4 via USB?
3)Or something else ? What is your personal advice?

So far my pick is #2

Nov 11, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #947 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tigon_ridge, seriously, who spends $200 on an amp for a pair of earbuds costing 1/10th of that ? Until you've heard the Total Bithead with something a little further up the foodchain, I'd probably hold off on bagging HeadRoom. There products are expensive, no question, but you may as well have bought the Fiio with those buds for phones. Is there anyone here who wouldnt have spent the $200 on a pair of Grados/A-Ts or whatever in preference to an amp ?

I think he bought the amp for his HD650.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:30 AM Post #948 of 1,096
You can get good SQ wtih high quality headphones dac/amp + entry level IEMs, as I experimented few months ago
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/u...ml#post5584946

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #950 of 1,096
You were planning to drive high-end headphones with an entry-level portable amp ? I believe that many here spend thousands on the 'right' amp for the HD650 - happy to hear otherwise.

Nov 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM Post #951 of 1,096
Quote:

You were planning to drive high-end headphones with an entry-level portable amp ? I believe that many here spend thousands on the 'right' amp for the HD650 - happy to hear otherwise.

I was very new to the world of headphilism.

Today, I know better, but I honestly don't see myself spending thousands on anything. I leave this to the hardcore headphiles who has the interest and wallet to go that far. My current purchasing plan looks like this: 1st, the D4 Mamba. 2nd, the JH10x3. Then, finally, the Lune Silver cable. It should all total up to around $1200. I think (or hope) this setup will come quite close to many $2000+ setups. I'll write up some impressions to contribute back to head-fi, and perhaps answer a few questions. Afterwards, I'll leave Head-fi, without ever even glancing back, and then return 5 years later to see what'll be new (and improved).

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:35 AM Post #952 of 1,096
Head-fi is cost less than the audiophile speakers systems, and even cheaper with IEMs. Today you can get custom IEMS at USD250 or less, and the best IEMs cost 'just' above USD1000. Compared to speakers systems and headphones system, the portable gears are much more economical. Becaus of this, it took me around 1 year journey, to the end point of the IEMs and portable audio. Since it is portable, I can 'ENJOY' the same audio SQ anytime and anywhere. It also mean, I can fully utilizing my portable gears, and the money to purchased them are well spent.

I have started from speakers system, then headphones and finally the IEMs. As you can see, the size is getting smaller and smaller
smily_headphones1.gif
and cheaper too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Why IEMs ? I like accuracy which also closely related to High Fidelity (HiFi). . IMO, nothing can beat the IEM's accuracy, at similar price level.

Thank you.

Nov 11, 2009 at 10:42 AM Post #953 of 1,096
Quote:

heh. hope you meant thousands altogether before finding the right amp cos' you really don't need to be spending thousands at one go just to make the 650s decently good.

on a side note, yeah. i think it's iems and nice speakers at some point for me. when i'm at home, i'd rather just have speakers and not having to have something on my head, tho i do acknowledge that we won't be able to blast the speakers all the time. =)

i'd like a can and amp setup that doesn't cost crazy amounts well, for me at least. and it's difficult =)

Nov 11, 2009 at 11:54 AM Post #954 of 1,096
We are getting OT, but I think its quite conceivable for someone to buy 2 or 3 amps before they find the 'right' amp for the HD650 - throw in tube rolling and I dont find it difficult to imagine someone spending thousands getting it right. I dont know what the Benchmark or Grace M902 cost in the US, but both are up around 2K here in Oz - the more exotic tube amps would be well above that. I agree that speaker rigs consume a lot more than that, but its all relative.

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #955 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigon_ridge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm planning on getting this for my hd650s, once I get them fixed.

I'm very interested in this combination. Awaiting impressions.

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #956 of 1,096
With the 300 ohm HD600 there is a big difference in power between the 5v and 9v option. Voltage swing is more important with these high impedance phones current, while good current output is what the low impedance phones need.

At 5v the D4 plays the HD600 about as loud as a Predator or D10 which is moderately loud level but not really loud like the 3MOVE or V1. But at 9v the D4 really kicks it into gear and the HD600 seem 3-5 dB louder, plus it gives the HD600 stronger bass impact. I'll have more power comparisons in my upcoming review but in 9v mode the D4 drives the HD600 better than my P-51, Predator or D10 - the power is right behind that of the 3MOVE and V1, but it's enough for mobile situations when you can't get to a desktop amp.

Also, for the peeps asking about Livewires with D4 - it's a great match. Same with ESW10JPN.

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #957 of 1,096
Great work Larry! Man I wish I had your talent and ear for sure. Have you had the chance to review the Headstage Arrow? I have one coming in the mail soon and I am wondering how it will compare to the Lyrix that I have been using. Robert also sent me a USB DAC cable to try out. If you are interested in trying out the Arrow (assuming you haven't) just send me a PM and we will try to work it out. Once again thanks for your effort on this site. You are appreciated.

Dec 17, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #958 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great work Larry! Man I wish I had your talent and ear for sure. Have you had the chance to review the Headstage Arrow? I have one coming in the mail soon and I am wondering how it will compare to the Lyrix that I have been using. Robert also sent me a USB DAC cable to try out. If you are interested in trying out the Arrow (assuming you haven't) just send me a PM and we will try to work it out. Once again thanks for your effort on this site. You are appreciated.

Let me check with Robert, because last we chatted he was going to send a review sample but never did. I would want to review the one with built-in DAC, and I already have his USB DAC cable. The USB DAC cable sounded the same as the built-in Lyrix DAC or the iBasso D1 USB DAC, but the iBasso D1 optical DAC was a noticeable step up in sound over it's USB DAC (or the USB DAC cable).

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #959 of 1,096
From talking with Robert I do not think the new Arrow has the built in DAC as tha is why he sent me the cable to try out. He now is selling a USB DAC Stick on his site that amplifies the cable from the computer. He said he wanted to keep the Arrow as portable as possible. Just info, he has it on the headphonia site.

Dec 17, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #960 of 1,096
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle Eye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From talking with Robert I do not think the new Arrow has the built in DAC as tha is why he sent me the cable to try out. He now is selling a USB DAC Stick on his site that amplifies the cable from the computer. He said he wanted to keep the Arrow as portable as possible. Just info, he has it on the headphonia site.

Weird - last time I had checked there was an internal socket in the Arrow for a DAC module "sold separately".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back