Upcoming Beyerdynamic Headphones - Custom One Tesla, Custom One Studio, T51p and amp A20
Jul 19, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #76 of 234
When Tyll initially tried and measured the COP he said he was quite impressed with the adjustable bass feature:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2012-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-bass-port-adjustable-headphones

Supposedly later on when he reviewed the Tiesto he said something negative about the COP's adjustable bass but I can't find that now. If anyone has a link to that it would be appreciated.

IIRC the claim was that he said something negative about the COP's adjustable bass feature, not the overall quality of the COP's bass. This wouldn't be the first time something Tyll has said has been vaguely passed around these forums like a game of telephone eventually losing all resemblance of what he actually said or what he really meant. If you want to know how he feels about a particular headphone I recommend you read his words for yourself on innerfidelity.com where there's adequate context and he's not misquoted. He's quite involved in the comments section of his articles in case you have any questions for him.

@thatBeatsguy: sorry, I don't think I was very clear there. I have the T5p and absolutely LOVE them, but Tyll had made some pretty negative comments about them on a different forum (not on the IF website). Of course, that guy has forgotten vastly more about headphones than I will ever possibly know, so I said that with tongue firmly in cheek.

As for the COP, give them a shot!! I happen to be a big fan of the Beyer sound and while I haven't heard those specifically, there are definitely some people around who really like them. Tyll made a passing comment about them (here) during his review of the AKG 267 Tiesto headphone, saying "After hearing the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros adjustable bass feature, I expected the AKG K267 Tiesto adjustable bass feature to be just another horrible sounding gimmick." This obviously leads to the conclusion that he was not a fan of the bass feature, but again, this doesn't mean someone else wouldn't like it. The only way to know would be to try them yourself, and if you don't have anywhere around to go and demo them, maybe you could pick up a pair used from the forums here or on eBay or something and minimize your loss if you do decide you'd like something else.

Personally, I'd give a 770 a go with EQ over the COP, particularly for monitoring. But that's not based on actually hearing the COP, just reviews and whatnots :wink:

:wink:

Jul 19, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #77 of 234
Quote:
When Tyll initially tried and measured the COP he said he was quite impressed with the adjustable bass feature:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/canjam-rmaf-2012-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro-bass-port-adjustable-headphones

Supposedly later on when he reviewed the Tiesto he said something negative about the COP's adjustable bass but I can't find that now. If anyone has a link to that it would be appreciated.

IIRC the claim was that he said something negative about the COP's adjustable bass feature, not the overall quality of the COP's bass. This wouldn't be the first time something Tyll has said has been vaguely passed around these forums like a game of telephone eventually losing all resemblance of what he actually said or what he really meant. If you want to know how he feels about a particular headphone I recommend you read his words for yourself on innerfidelity.com where there's adequate context and he's not misquoted. He's quite involved in the comments section of his articles in case you have any questions for him.

Okay, I'll look into that. Thanks a buunch for this insights.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #79 of 234
Thanks devhen, couldn't have said it any better.

And here's the link to Tyll's statement: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/akg-k267-tiesto-headphone-bass-adjustment-control-page-2
It's right above the graph and what he says is this: 

After hearing the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pros adjustable bass feature, I expected the AKG K267 Tiesto adjustable bass feature to be just another horrible sounding gimmick...boy was I wrong.

@thatBeatsguy: I honestly don't find the COP to have a large soundstage. Then again, I am comparing it mainly to open phones such as the Grado SR125i, ATH-AD700 and HiFiMAN HE-400. It certainly doesn't feel to narrow and I cannot really compare it to many closed phones, simply because I don't own them. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #80 of 234
Quote:
Thanks devhen, couldn't have said it any better.

And here's the link to Tyll's statement: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/akg-k267-tiesto-headphone-bass-adjustment-control-page-2
It's right above the graph and what he says is this: 

@thatBeatsguy: I honestly don't find the COP to have a large soundstage. Then again, I am comparing it mainly to open phones such as the Grado SR125i, ATH-AD700 and HiFiMAN HE-400. It certainly doesn't feel to narrow and I cannot really compare it to many closed phones, simply because I don't own them. 

Wow...that is just...wow. So he does like it. But it's the Tiesto, and not the COP, so I'll take that with a grain of salt. Honestly, I do like the classy look of the Tiestos, and I wouldn't mind buying one. I'm iffy about the look of the build...it's hardly close to the Beats Pro. Speaking of which, I wonder if I could simply switch the drivers on these things...

Jul 22, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #81 of 234
I am not sure about the sound if you did swap some COP/Tiesto drivers in a BP... but sure, give it a shot! I heard the Tesla drivers are easily available and supposed to sound pretty nice. Didn't somebody put Tesla drivers in a T50RP?

Also, if you want good all-rounders, get open headphones. Unless you want the bass, open will give you a better soundstage (in general, there are exceptions) and usually they have clearer (i.e. more easily separatable) highs. Just my 2p, though. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #82 of 234
Quote:
I am not sure about the sound if you did swap some COP/Tiesto drivers in a BP... but sure, give it a shot! I heard the Tesla drivers are easily available and supposed to sound pretty nice. Didn't somebody put Tesla drivers in a T50RP?

None that I know of, but I've heard it's possible to put tesla drivers into a COP. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #83 of 234
The adjustable bass vents on the COP make a huge difference. The problem is that the headphone itself isn't all that great. It's not bad by any means, but the bass is rather loose and the enclosure lends to the dreaded Beyer treble spike. They float around $150 on sale at Amazon.com and I think they're decent for that price. I wouldn't pay over $200 for them though. 

This is what I did with mine... http://www.head-fi.org/t/656644/ortho-transplant-fostex-t50rp-drivers-into-a-beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro

... doesn't get much more "custom" than that 
size]

If someone wanted to throw money at it, you could also special order some Tesla drivers from Beyer and stick 'em right in. I'm pretty sure the baffles are all the same size. 

Yea, If the COP White Edition is around $150, i would get it. But it's still $250 compare to the black COP. And I don't think $200 for the COP is worth it.
The Black COP just looks ugly to me.

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #84 of 234
Quote:
The adjustable bass vents on the COP make a huge difference. The problem is that the headphone itself isn't all that great. It's not bad by any means, but the bass is rather loose and the enclosure lends to the dreaded Beyer treble spike.

Treble spike?

=3931&scale=30]

Jul 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #85 of 234
Yes, a spike. It's the relative difference between that valley into the peak that I hear. It's not quite as bad as say the DT990, but it's noticeable. I don't know if there's a particularly bad decay ridge in that particular spot, but there's feels like some stored energy in the region. 

Jul 23, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #89 of 234
Quote:
Basically, it would be a straight line, but sadly, it is impossible to do in the real world. Anything close to flat is favorable, but unenjoyable.

I'm after reasonably flat, as I need to monitor an outgoing audio stream in real time.  Due to the effects of damping on frequency response, and the given Zs=10.7Ω of my Asus® CM1630-06's XONAR® Essence™ STX™, for me this means auditioning headsets of Zl≧120Ω, primarily models with 250Ω and 600Ω earpieces (the Heil Sound® Pro Set™ iC™, a longshot due to limited treble response, uses 200Ω earpieces).

Jul 23, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #90 of 234
Quote:
I'm after reasonably flat, as I need to monitor an outgoing audio stream in real time.  Due to the effects of damping on frequency response, and the given Zs=10.7Ω of my Asus® CM1630-06's XONAR® Essence™ STX™, for me this means auditioning headsets of Zl≧120Ω, primarily models with 250Ω and 600Ω earpieces (the Heil Sound® Pro Set™ iC™, a longshot due to limited treble response, uses 200Ω earpieces).

Damn, lay off the symbols. It's getting a little confusing to read. So tl;dr, you're looking for flat sound (relatively speaking, of course) with either 250ohm or 600ohm drivers.
I'm getting something...

HD800
DT990

Okay, that's what I could get as of now. Hope this helps I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back