Unsure whether to get a portable or desktop amp...
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cosmotron

Head-Fier
I just recently bought a D2000 and researched for an amp that would produce a good synergy between the two and I came up with a few results. But, before I can pick, I was hoping to get some advice on which type of amp to get, portable or desktop.

My sources are either computers (desktop w/ optical out & USB and laptop w/ USB) or a H320, so I was considering a DAC/amp for the sake of the computers (such as the iBasso D1 or Zero) but also read that the Headfive/Arietta work well...

Portability isn't really a major concern, the only reason I am considering portable amps is because they often have good DACs built in.

So, what do you think I should do? Thanks!

(Note: max I am willing to spend in case you have a new recommendation is ~250 USD)

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 15
I just got my first non portable amp(used musical fidelity x-can) and to my ears there is a big improvement in sound quality versus my two portables(headphonia non dac and minibox-e). I have noticed a big improvement in soundstage. The cans I have are sr225 dt770/80 and pk-1. I think some of the improvement has to do with the home amp wall outlet power supply versus running off of a battery. If portability isn't an issue I would go with a home amp from my experience.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 15
Is a DAC really necessary when using a computer as a source?

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:44 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmotron /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends how good your sound card is. generally laptop and onboard sound cards suck so a DAC will provide you with much better sound.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 15
Getting an amp with a DAC I think would depend on how good your computers exisiting sound card is. If your computer has a generic sound card,then a DAC will probally improve your set up. I have also heard that an external DAC has less interference, because its not near all the componets inside a computer like the harddrive,fans and other electrical motors that could cause noise intereference.

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Depends on your sound card, yes, but also depends on your computer. The inside of most computers is a very noisy environment. I'm sure there are Windows machines in which that is not the case (Sonys, maybe?). I know Macs are the exception. The signal that comes out of my iBook's headphone jack is very quiet and has respectable sonics. I'm getting pretty good results from iBook>Headroom Airhead>Senn HD580s.

With that said, I'm very interested in a high-quality dac/amp in the $500 or less range, but I'll be buying it from a source with a good return policy, because I think there's a pretty good chance it won't make a big difference. I hope for a bit better definition without loss of warmth, a broader, deeper sound stage and more present mids (palpable, alive, vocals, horns and strings). I'm not looking for clean and quiet, low distortion and strong dynamic range, because I already have that with the stuff that's paid for.

I'll be pretty hard to please. And I'm taking recommendations on aisle one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Feb 13, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #7 of 15
To the previous poster, Headamp Pico. To the OP, I'd say it depends on what you plan to do with it.

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #8 of 15
Well, my desktop has an nVidia nForce2 Soundstorm in it and my laptop has the stock Intel soundcard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
To the OP, I'd say it depends on what you plan to do with it.

Well... put it between my source and my cans.
wink.gif
Not sure what you mean.

Feb 13, 2008 at 8:09 AM Post #9 of 15
Look into the Little Dot Mk line of amps, those are probably the best bang for the buck and use the rest of your budget to get a DAC and then you can tube roll to optimize the sound to your taste.

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on your sound card, yes, but also depends on your computer. The inside of most computers is a very noisy environment. I'm sure there are Windows machines in which that is not the case (Sonys, maybe?). I know Macs are the exception. The signal that comes out of my iBook's headphone jack is very quiet and has respectable sonics. I'm getting pretty good results from iBook>Headroom Airhead>Senn HD580s.

With that said, I'm very interested in a high-quality dac/amp in the $500 or less range, but I'll be buying it from a source with a good return policy, because I think there's a pretty good chance it won't make a big difference. I hope for a bit better definition without loss of warmth, a broader, deeper sound stage and more present mids (palpable, alive, vocals, horns and strings). I'm not looking for clean and quiet, low distortion and strong dynamic range, because I already have that with the stuff that's paid for.

I'll be pretty hard to please. And I'm taking recommendations on aisle one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Tim

Two things Tim:

(A) You noted that you are currently using a "Total AirHead" and want to try a Amp w/DAC, so why not try the "Total BitHead" from HeadRoom??? It's only $150 (me think) and you are familiar with HeadRoom as a vendor.

(B) Would you mind giving me/us your impressions on the Total AirHead??? As there's not much on this site regarding these units.

Best,

angel

Feb 13, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ammatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two things Tim:

(A) You noted that you are currently using a "Total AirHead" and want to try a Amp w/DAC, so why not try the "Total BitHead" from HeadRoom??? It's only $150 (me think) and you are familiar with HeadRoom as a vendor.

(B) Would you mind giving me/us your impressions on the Total AirHead??? As there's not much on this site regarding these units.

Best,

angel

Angel, it's not a Total Airhead, just an Airhead. Hard to put impressions in context, as I have nothing to compare it to. The design and ergonomics are very nice. Better, I think, for a portable than your basic metal box with big knob. It is quiet. It gives both my Senn HD580s and Ety 6s more power, definition and presence. Everything is bigger without necessarily being louder. The cross-feed does not, to my ear, get the music outside of my head and create a speaker-like sound stage. It does seem to soften the edges a bit and add warmth, which is useful on some material with the Etys, unnecessary with the Senns.

I was listening to some very well-recorded and mastered music last night (cuts from Elvis Costello's Girls, Girls, Girls) with the Senns, and it sounded pretty fabulous -- warm and a bit soft. When I plug in to my other source, an all digital signal chain through a digital amp, everything tightens and defines. Some would call it resolution. Some would call it etched. I'm pretty sure tube fans would actually prefer the Airhead. I think in a blind test, the Airhead might even be mistaken for tubes.

In other words, it's pretty darned good, and this is an old Airhead without the better components of today's version. Mind you, that is coming out of a Mac, or a line out from a decent portable CD player - a much quieter, better source than most PCs or mp3 players, regardless of file size.

Tim

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #12 of 15
thanXs much Tim. I'm glad to see some comments on a HeadRoom unit, since they don't seem to receive much attention on this board. Your comment start to give me an idea as to the "Airhead's" performance. Glad to hear that it can drive the 580's as well as the Ety IEMs. Sorry to hear that the 'Crossfeed' doesn't seem to be as effective as I would have hoped. I would appreciate the 'tube' sound that you noted. Unfortunately, I still find 'digital' sources to be a bit on the harsh side. As a matter of fact, I been considering ways to give 'ripped' material a softer/rounder sound, so based on your observations, this 'toy' may save me this step (for portable use).

Q. - One thing I don't like is the use of "AAA" batts, as most equipment 'eat' triple-As. So, what was your experience re battery life??? By the way to make your answer more useful, how would you categorize you use - You play it 'loud & hard' or you listen at low/moderate levels???

At this point, you comments at least give me reason to investigate it further. Sounds like it maybe worth taking them up on there 30 trail period and checking it out. So again, thanXs much for giving me your time and opinion.

Best,

angel

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I just recently bought a D2000 and researched for an amp that would produce a good synergy between the two and I came up with a few results. But, before I can pick, I was hoping to get some advice on which type of amp to get, portable or desktop.

My sources are either computers (desktop w/ optical out & USB and laptop w/ USB) or a H320, so I was considering a DAC/amp for the sake of the computers (such as the iBasso D1 or Zero) but also read that the Headfive/Arietta work well...

Portability isn't really a major concern, the only reason I am considering portable amps is because they often have good DACs built in.

So, what do you think I should do? Thanks!

(Note: max I am willing to spend in case you have a new recommendation is ~250 USD)

I'd have to recommend the Zero DAC/Amp. Many who have similar setups to yours have gone this direction and love it. Later, if you decide to purchase a tube amp, you can drive it with the Zero. This makes for a cost effective upgrade path.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #14 of 15
If you're planning on using this with computers primarily I would definitely say that a DAC is important. Total Bithead is a great little amp/dac and at $150 it's a bargain. The Zero is also very nice, I've only heard one once though so don't really remember too much from that.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Absolutely, positively, without reservation get a Dac be it part of a headphone amp or a separate unit. Computer sounds cards(99% of the time) have bad sound quality. They are designed for gaming (5.1 positional audio and fast frame rates) and not for fidelity. Just using an amp will amplify the unacceptable short comings of your on board sound or add in sound card. On the higher end something like a Headamp Pico or Ray Samuels Predator would be nice and in the midrange an iBasso D1 would be great and something like a Total Bithead on the low end. Those are all great portable units all of them but seperate desktop units will even let you get even higher on the fidelity scale, like the Meier Audio Cantate. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back