Unleashing the AKG-702
Dec 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #31 of 41

Quote:

Quote:
can  i link my macbook into the burson direct via a usb cable?

and can i still use my udac2 in between the macbook and the burson?
my udac has two rca output socket i think.
confused.gif

@?#1 - yes if you were to buy the new Burson with integrated dac ~$1000.

@?#2 - yes if you were to get the regular HA-160 model. Used ~$500 New ~$700

Either way aint cheap, but the Burson is renowned for driving the K70X series.

thanks for the reply bro..much appreciated... and the budget laid out is EYE opening..lolz

btw, i just bought the NUFORCE usb A-B cable..29bucks..n plugged it into the macbook n udac2...
kinda open up the congestion quite significantly. Tot i hear more DEPTH thru the k702...and appreciating the udac2 much more.
Before this, i was not exactly awed by the udac2 vs fiioE7...
anyone here with a udac2 should consider buying the nuforce usb cable. IMHO.
atsmile.gif

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #32 of 41
I've had great success driving k702's with the Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S. caliente.  Awesome amp for the money.  I've even used it in conjunction with a uDAC (uDAC+KICAS calient=$400ish), using it's analog outputs and it's more than I could hope for.

Mar 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #33 of 41
I'm having great time with Head -direct EF-1 and AKg701.
Look out for them in sale forums,The newer EF-5 would be great too going by the several posts here and as it is improved version of EF-1.they are also very good with Denon D2000

Mar 4, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #34 of 41
I think you need to be looking at spending a little more if you want the most from your headphones. A good USB DAC is going to cost you around £300. HRT Music Streamer ii+ is a good choice. Then you'll need a good powerful head amp to get the best from them. Don't be tempted to scrimp on the amp or you could be dissapointed.  I'm using the Burson HA160 at around £500. The AkG's sound great.

Mar 4, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #35 of 41

Quote:
I think you need to be looking at spending a little more if you want the most from your headphones. A good USB DAC is going to cost you around £300. HRT Music Streamer ii+ is a good choice. Then you'll need a good powerful head amp to get the best from them. Don't be tempted to scrimp on the amp or you could be dissapointed.  I'm using the Burson HA160 at around £500. The AkG's sound great.

X2
I agree with Chris, if you get the HA-160 you'll get a powerful amp that drives perfectly AKG headphones. But also, if you plan to upgrade on harder to drive hp's you will be fine with that unit. 

Mar 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #36 of 41

Quote:

X2
I agree with Chris, if you get the HA-160 you'll get a powerful amp that drives perfectly AKG headphones. But also, if you plan to upgrade on harder to drive hp's you will be fine with that unit. 

I'm new to Headfi but I also agree with chris 007 and metalh3ad, I'm using the new Burson HA-160D to power my AKG 702s.  All I can say is that they sound fantastic together.  It's nice because its an all in one box solution Amp/Dac/preamp out.  I'm currently breaking everything in and the Burson can really deliver lots of power and manhandle the AKGs.  I think that using a Burson amp will really bring out the full potential of the 702s.  If the Burson can drive the AKGs no problem, then it should be fine with anything else except electrostatic headphones. The DAC section of the amp isn't the most refined DAC out there on the market, but for the price you get a lot.  Also if you have the money, an aftermarket cable really is necessary in my opinion because the stock cable is simply laughable.  I have the ALO Audio SXC cryo cable and the 702s sound way more detailed.  Everything sounds full, nothing is hidden, it's like all the performers on stage were playing in the dark with the stock cable.  Now everything sounds lit up, concert lighting on all the instruments!  acoustic guitars sound amazingly real as well.  The differences are on the small side but in the end I wouldn't go back to the stock cable.  If you make a bunch of small improvements it adds up to a big one!

Mar 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #37 of 41
I'm using the new Q701 with the Burson HA-160, with a NAD 565BEE CD player. The results have been stunning. The Q701 is one of the finest dynamic headphones you can buy. I started with the K702 but could'nt resist the Q. Sounds slightly fuller than the 702, with a little more bass and slightly softened top end.  Mids  are warmer .The overall effect makes for hours and hours of listening pleasure. I also own the HD800, but when comparing the Q701 directly, I find I mostly prefer the Q701. The HD800 sounds slightly veiled by comparison, and the bass is a little deeper, but I like the tighter  bass and better soundstaging with the AKG. The Burson and the Q701 fit hand and glove. I have also read here on head-fi that the new Schiit Lyr amp is a fantastic match for the 701/702.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #38 of 41
Ok so its been a year and I still havent unleashed my AKGs...  But now I am ready to make the purchase and would like some last minute advise before I jump on my decision.

After some more current searching, it seems as though the Schiit Lyr is a very viable option and at the moment is the amp I am most strongly leaning towards.  However, considering the price I cannot additionally afford a DAC to pair with it - im a broke college student and it would take me a few months to justify the $100-200 price tag of this extra accessory. 

That leaves me with another option; to buy a cheaper amp which allows me to afford a DAC, since the general consensus seems to suggest that a DAC is important for signal quality.  The amps that I am considering to go along with this option are the Matrix M-stage and the Schiit Asgard.  As for the DAC, the Maverick TubeMagic D1 seems to be the best for my current budget - of course im open to suggestions.

Now if I were to go with the Schiit amps, they allow you to choose the voltage type: 115 or 230.  I live in America, and IIRC household outlets here are 115v.  I dont want to order the wrong one, so can anyone verify this for me?

Thanks for all the previous suggestions everyone.  I am surely going to buy an amp this time as soon as a rationalize my decision 
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: if it helps in your advising me, I primarily listen to metal, which emphasizes sound staging, mid-bass and treble moreso than a robust low end (like would accompany forms of electronica).  Specific sub-genres of metal being death and black metal of all various productions - raw to very processed and clean.  I am looking for a sound that is warm yet precise with a dynamic sound stage.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #41 of 41
C-2.1 is great too with K702 but many are happy with LYR + K702 :p

K702 with my previous m-stage + opa moon was also very nice , but C-2.1 is above :) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back