Universals Modded with Recable or Removable Cables! ***Sony MH1 Recable added! (Fischer Audio DBA-02, Brainwavz B2, UM3X, Sleek Audio)
Apr 2, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 68

bigsmile_face.gif

Impressions to follow.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #19 of 68
For comparisons, of course. I'll gladly accept any loan offers too
biggrin.gif

I meant impressions re: SD cable vs the DIY cable it came with.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #20 of 68
I modified my B2s as well.

Here's the photo from his website of my B2s:
http://btg-audio.webs.com/photos/undefined/Brainwavz%20B2.jpg

As far as sound quality goes-- they have not changed at all from when I sent them, which is excellent. I was a little skeptical at first that this would end well for me, but shotgunshane's previous experience put me at ease a bit. I *hated* the original tacky fischer/dba B&W cable but loved the sound, so this seemed like a tidy solution. This was a primarily aesthetic mod.

I had an unused westone cable around, so I used that. I did have one hiccup, which is that the indentation of the B2 (and fischer) housing where the cable connection is, doesn't let the westone cable plug all the way in. The molding around the connectors is too wide. I haven't come up with a permanent solution for this, whether to carve out a little nitch in the housing or on the cable connection. In the meantime, I stuck a bit of foam in between the two pieces to protect the connectors. If anyone has a better solution, let me know! Nulliverse, I can't tell from the pictures if your SD cable has any fit issues (vs the custom cable), but the angle looks the same as mine. Anyway, the DIY solution offered by Brian might be your best bet for a better fit. I already had a cable and love the westones, so that's why I opted to go in that direction.

Turnaround was super fast. I sent them in on a Friday, he received them on Saturday (we live in the same state). He had them ready to send out by Tuesday, but wanted to test it with a cable he was building, so he was able to send it back out on Thursday. Got back to me on Saturday. Very friendly and kept me informed about every step of the process.

Anyway, pictures:

No more ugly B&W cable!

View from the back. Note the foam protecting the connectors on the cable.

Angled.

Apr 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #22 of 68
No clue. The plastic seems really tough to do with a simple sharp blade. It would be easier to mod the cable's connectors, but I haven't decided if I want to risk damaging that yet.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #24 of 68
Brian an BTG-audio did a mod on my Westone UM3x to give it replaceable cables.
Here are some pictures:

http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=153020105

http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=153020106

I cannot recommed Brian enough. If you have any broken headphones, IEMs etc. or need a special cable made... he's your guy.

Apr 7, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #26 of 68

Quote:
Brian an BTG-audio did a mod on my Westone UM3x to give it replaceable cables.
Here are some pictures:
http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=153020105
http://btg-audio.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=153020106
I cannot recommed Brian enough. If you have any broken headphones, IEMs etc. or need a special cable made... he's your guy.

Looks great.  I'm thinking we can turn this thread into a repository for all removable cable mods.

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #27 of 68
^ Agreed. Maybe we can change thread title to something like "universal IEMs mod to have removable cable".

Maybe have a list of stock universal IEMs with removable cable, e.g., Shure SE215 and Sleek SA6s. However, i heard both of those have durability issues with cable or plug. Two of my cables from Sleek died after a year of very light and careful use, while none of my other IEM cables ever died on me.

Brian recabled my SA6s and retained the removable cable feature. It was a difficult job because everything there was tiny. But Brian did an excellent job.

Apr 8, 2012 at 4:38 AM Post #29 of 68

Quote:
I had an unused westone cable around, so I used that. I did have one hiccup, which is that the indentation of the B2 (and fischer) housing where the cable connection is, doesn't let the westone cable plug all the way in. The molding around the connectors is too wide. I haven't come up with a permanent solution for this, whether to carve out a little nitch in the housing or on the cable connection. In the meantime, I stuck a bit of foam in between the two pieces to protect the connectors. If anyone has a better solution, let me know! Nulliverse, I can't tell from the pictures if your SD cable has any fit issues (vs the custom cable), but the angle looks the same as mine. Anyway, the DIY solution offered by Brian might be your best bet for a better fit. I already had a cable and love the westones, so that's why I opted to go in that direction.

Nice pics Oddsratio. Actually, I had the same issue with my ASG-1 cable (which I believe is very similar to the westone). The SD fits much better. It's on my ASG-1s at the moment, so I don't have a pic, but I didn't notice any significant problems with the SDs connectors fitting in the DBAs housings. It wasn't perfect, due to the angle of the female connectors, but it fit much better than the Westone / ASG, which was a fit I wasn't comfortable with. 

I'm glad you took the risk Schwibsi! Judging by your pics, it was worth it.  

Apr 8, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #30 of 68
I have been talking to Brian about modding my Vsonic GR07's.... But I really cant decide if I have the balls for it!

I love them dearly, and use them daily, but think that the addition of a DIY Toxic Cables silver IEM cable may really make them sparkle - both SQ wise and visualy! Has anyone ever tried to open one of these? Not sure its going to be as easy as the other ones he has done, but I dont know if those were glued together too. Plus I assume the risk involved is greater with Dynamic drivers rather than BA? Does anyone know if he has attempted a dynamic IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back