Universal fit IEM for jazz– Shure or Aurisonics ASG-1 or Heir 4ai?
May 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Othello3

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've been looking to replace my Shure 420 iems for a while now, but the situation has become untenable. I love these phones, at least I love them the way that you love your first real high end anythings. I'm a big jazz fan, and I spend most of my listening time with straight-ahead instrumental jazz (big saxophones, trumpet, trombone) with some classic rock mixed in. I'm interested in highly resolved, rich mids above all else. I wouldn't mind a bit more impactful base than I get from my Shure 420s, but I'm not a basshead. 

I've loved my Shures and would gladly buy a new set, but even the 425 is now due in for an upgrade any month now. I have some slight reservations about smaller companies like Heir and Aurisonics, but they seem to have some interesting, innovative options. Does anyone have some experience with these models in a jazz context? 

In addition to sonic considerations, i'm very concerned with prolonged-use comfort and durability.

May 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2 of 4
The UM3x, SM3, Sony EX1000, SE535 willbe better upgrade over SE420 and they all offer great midange details, crisp clear highs and good punchy bass.

May 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 4
Jawar is correct here.

While I love the ASG-1.3s for jazz, and they can handle trumpets, trombones and sax really well. If you are going to throw rock into the mix, the rolled off highs make string instruments suffer a bit (namely the guitar).

However, in terms of comfort, ASG-1 is just awesome.

May 25, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 4
Interesting, kyuuketsuki. I am very intrigued by the ASG-1's ability to handle my favorite instruments, but I am concerned that I probably won't be able to demo any of these phones before I buy. I'm just frustrated because frankly I don't love my options and had very high hopes for Heir and Aurisonics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back