Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 13, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3,781 of 3,931
well, i came back to this thread after a long absence because i was thinking of having my um3x's costomized and modded.

These latest posts are a bit concerning though.

UM re did my tf10's to 6 drivers, i love them and quality is excellent, so with that in mind i think ill go ahead anyway, don't really mind waiting as i never use my westones anymore anyway (6 driver TF10's kinda rendered them obsolete
gs1000.gif
).

I am thinking of getting the 8 driver upgrade to my umx3's, since i already have a 6 driver custom, why not go big on the next pair
wink_face.gif

I am wondering what the configuration is on the 8 driver mod? how many drivers dedicated to lows, mids, highs? what is the cross over configuration?

Most importantly, anyone out there who has done this upgrade, does the sound justify the price? What i mean by that is are the 8 driver umx3's up there with other top tier customs, at $800.00 for the uppgrade + the initial cost of the iems, the total investment is right up there with the miracles and others. or would i be better off to sell them as is and just buy a flagship set from  UM or UE or JH etc? I know some of the other top tier customs are in the $1600.00 range so the miracles or re-shelled customs are still a lot easier on the wallet.

thanks

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #3,782 of 3,931
  well, i came back to this thread after a long absence because i was thinking of having my um3x's costomized and modded.

UM re did my tf10's to 6 drivers, i love them and quality is excellent, so with that in mind i think ill go ahead anyway, don't really mind waiting as i never use my westones anymore anyway (6 driver TF10's kinda rendered them obsolete
gs1000.gif
).

I am thinking of getting the 8 driver upgrade to my umx3's, since i already have a 6 driver custom, why not go big on the next pair
wink_face.gif

I am wondering what the configuration is on the 8 driver mod? how many drivers dedicated to lows, mids, highs? what is the cross over configuration?

Most importantly, anyone out there who has done this upgrade, does the sound justify the price? What i mean by that is are the 8 driver umx3's up there with other top tier customs, at $800.00 for the uppgrade + the initial cost of the iems, the total investment is right up there with the miracles and others. or would i be better off to sell them as is and just buy a flagship set from  UM or UE or JH etc? I know some of the other top tier customs are in the $1600.00 range so the miracles or re-shelled customs are still a lot easier on the wallet.

thanks

Just so you know, going from UM3X to a re-shelled UM3X (Through UM) was a huge upgrade for me. Really filled out the low-end registers nicely.

Nov 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #3,783 of 3,931
Just so you know, going from UM3X to a re-shelled UM3X (Through UM) was a huge upgrade for me. Really filled out the low-end registers nicely.

Thanks, that's great to hear. From what I remember of reviews on the UM3X6 upgrade, it is a similar sound signature, just better everywhere, and faster overall, witch is all good. I almost went with the 8 driver mod with my TF 10's, but wasn't sure if the price was justified as there were not many of them out there. So now I am facing the same decision with my UM3X's, I want to do at least the 6 driver upgrade. mainly because I want something that is comparable to my TF 10x6's, so that I don't feel like I'm downgrading by swapping to the UM's and relegating them to a drawer, witch is what is currently the case. But now I have a little extra cash flow I can afford the almost double price 8 driver upgrade, so I am very curious to know the details about it. I have been to UMs web site but there is basically no info on the particulars of the upgrade. I am hoping that the 8 driver will be similar to the JH-18, a bass monster with multiple woofers, as that would be a nice contrast and I'm a bit of a bass head.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #3,784 of 3,931

UM re did my tf10's to 6 drivers, i love them and quality is excellent, so with that in mind i think ill go ahead anyway, don't really mind waiting as i never use my westones anymore anyway (6 driver TF10's kinda rendered them obsolete :gs1000smile: ).

I am thinking of getting the 8 driver upgrade to my umx3's, since i already have a 6 driver custom, why not go big on the next pair :wink_face: .

thanks
8 driver used to be very similar to ls8. it's more treble happy and a matter of preference .

proofpic http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/e9/e90455a6_RoothLS8.jpg http://cdn.head-fi.org/e/ed/900x900px-LL-edcbe786_new_sm3x8_chart.jpeg (compare ls8 and sm3x8). idk if tf10x8 is different

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #3,788 of 3,931
I got an email back from UM:

When we upgrade the UM3X to a six driver custom, we add in another mid and another two high drivers, giving you a 2 mid, 2 low 2 high configuration run with a 3 way cross over. The upgrade to an 8 driver IEM adds in two extra high drivers and we use a 4 way crossover to manage it all.

So, I am still a bit confused, as I thought the UM3x only had one low driver and 2 mid/mid high, I don't see how they are getting 2lows with the 6 driver unit. Unless the re-allocate a mid driver for lows? As the 8 driver simply adds two more ultra high drivers I'm not sure if that is for me, think I will do dome more searching, possibly the stock single( or dual? ) low drivers are plenty in a custom?

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM Post #3,789 of 3,931
I got an email back from UM:

When we upgrade the UM3X to a six driver custom, we add in another mid and another two high drivers, giving you a 2 mid, 2 low 2 high configuration run with a 3 way cross over. The upgrade to an 8 driver IEM adds in two extra high drivers and we use a 4 way crossover to manage it all.

So, I am still a bit confused, as I thought the UM3x only had one low driver and 2 mid/mid high, I don't see how they are getting 2lows with the 6 driver unit. Unless the re-allocate a mid driver for lows? As the 8 driver simply adds two more ultra high drivers I'm not sure if that is for me, think I will do dome more searching, possibly the stock single( or dual? ) low drivers are plenty in a custom?

I think they might have made a typo cause yeah you are right um3x is one mid one high and one low, from what i know, the 6 driver config from them is 2 mid, 2 high and 2 low.

To guys with upgraded drivers, i plan on adding 3 more drivers to my es5s and i was wondering, can UM modify the sound for you? Say more treble up top less bass for an example? Thanks XD

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #3,790 of 3,931
From westones site

Three-Driver Balanced Armature Technology
- Uses 1 bass, 1 mid-range and 1 high frequency driver for the most dynamic sound reproduction in a universal fit in-ear monitor.

So, yea, I'm confused, UM indicated that the x6 upgrade would result in 2 lows, 2 mids and 2 highs. But they say they add I more mid and 2 highs, witch should be 1 low, 2 mids and 3 highs.

Nov 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #3,791 of 3,931
When I had my UM3X remoulded with UM, they seemed a little confused about the UM3X - and were offering to upgrade me to a "three way, four driver" IEM.
When I asked them about the bores:

The UM3X gets re-shelled in single bore as per the standard configuration.  Usually once we go a three way crossover we have to split the bores, so upgrading to the 4., 6 or 8 driver would yield dual bores.

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #3,792 of 3,931

Just get today my Miracle reshell from the pair of Mimouille!

It definitly worth the wait, I will definitly always deal with UM for remold :)

My remold Miracle :

And with my Merlin

Dec 4, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #3,794 of 3,931
Wow, nice. What a neat little case, too.

How long did it take?

Two month, they kept my ear impression that I sent for my Merlin.

It's really good and the perfect complement of the Merlin !

Dec 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #3,795 of 3,931
After finally getting working cables for mine (the right ear cable was faulty and would cut in and out constantly, this is how they arrived with me), I have finally had some time to listen well to my Miracles. I love the sound, though I am concerned that the faulty cable caused some damage to the right IEM as on low bass hits I can hear a distinct crackle sound. This is not an audio clipping sound as I am familiar with those being an audio engineer. I have a feeling that the constant cutting in and out from the original cable for the half a day I had it connected and troubleshooting has caused damage to one of the BA drivers… 

I have never had the CIEMs overly loud as I do not want to blow them (I'd say no higher than a 40/60 on a FiiO E17, with the Mac at 50% via USB or the iPhone at 60% via AUX) So nowhere near capacity… 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back