Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #3,511 of 3,931
Right so I got my refit back. Fit is close to perfect and both build and finish is excellent. The sound has improved somewhat but it still retains a darkish sound signature. Detail and top end extension is certainly there, but it's presented in a very smooth way - as a person who likes getting slapped in the face by hard detail, it's not really my sound signature. Through frequency sweeps and various test tones, although they handily beat my K701's technically, it's just not my kind of sound signature. There is virtually ZERO audible distortion all the way down to 20 hz, the limit of my hearing which is pretty amazing. I think tuning audio products is a delicate balancing act between thick and thin and whilst the K701 eers on the side of thin, these are slightly thick. Soundstage is wide and deep, but I feel like it's a bit compressed. I guess this won't be the end of my journey for audio nirvana.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #3,512 of 3,931
iamthem:
If you want hard detail, from my experience I recommend JH13 (or JH5 if budget is tight).  I sold everything else and haven't changed over a year, I'd say I'm done with IEMs.  UM did a great job reshelling.

I heard UM Mage is focused towards detail/treble so you might like to consider them too. Others I might recommend are UERM, or Westone 3 reshelled to 6 drivers by UM (based on reviews).

Jan 7, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #3,513 of 3,931
Just got my miracles and not happy with the sound sig too.

While the bass is well extended, its placed too forward, and the mid is too far back, then theres an upper midrange bump. Highs are good though, fine and smooth. Instrument seperation is average, maybe due to the recessed mids. It has overall V shaped sound, sound stage isn't as large as i expected too.

I listen to alot of vocals, miracles sound setup make vocals sound veiled or too thin depending on tracks. Maybe the mids are too smooth and they slip through my ears. I don't understand how miracles get so high rating on their mids.

Coming from UM Mage, while miracles having better technical capability and dynamic range, the overall sound is 1 step forward 2 steps back to me.

Posted a WTS on headfi classified.

Jan 7, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #3,514 of 3,931
Hey guys!. I have both a SE530 and a UM Mage and im planning of upgrading my SE530 to 6 drivers using the UM Mage. The setup would be Mage's TWFK for the highs,  Shure's dual woofer as mids, and Mage's CI22955 for lows. Is this possible? I've read a couple pages back that the SE530x6 uses the same configuration except for the lows as it uses the Sonion 3300 instead. Any opinion are welcome! :)

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #3,515 of 3,931
Quote:
Hey guys!. I have both a SE530 and a UM Mage and im planning of upgrading my SE530 to 6 drivers using the UM Mage. The setup would be Mage's TWFK for the highs,  Shure's dual woofer as mids, and Mage's CI22955 for lows. Is this possible? I've read a couple pages back that the SE530x6 uses the same configuration except for the lows as it uses the Sonion 3300 instead. Any opinion are welcome! :)

I love good mids, enjoy vocals alot, I have turned my shure to se530x6 thinking to fix the rolled off treble, and I didn't like the outcome. If you expect it to remain shure's sound signature then u might be surprised that they are not, at least mine were not. They have lost the shure's magical mids and the bass was too much for my taste. I ended up sold the se530x6 and use the Mage.

Since then I learned that drivers count don't always equals to sound quality. If I were you, I will keep both se530 and Mage, especially the mage, they are really good at what they are doing, from the mids to details to sound stage.

If I'd like to try something else, I'd just buy new and keep the Mage, at least as a backup.

my 2 cents.   :)

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #3,516 of 3,931
Quote:
I love good mids, enjoy vocals alot, I have turned my shure to se530x6 thinking to fix the rolled off treble, and I didn't like the outcome. If you expect it to remain shure's sound signature then u might be surprised that they are not, at least mine were not. They have lost the shure's magical mids and the bass was too much for my taste. I ended up sold the se530x6 and use the Mage.

Since then I learned that drivers count don't always equals to sound quality. If I were you, I will keep both se530 and Mage, especially the mage, they are really good at what they are doing, from the mids to details to sound stage.

If I'd like to try something else, I'd just buy new and keep the Mage, at least as a backup.

my 2 cents.   :)

Thanks a lot for the advice bro. Im not sure why but i've heard the SE530x6 already and fell in love with it's sound sig but that was sooooo long time ago when i still haven't heard of the stock SE530 and didnt have the Mage yet. All I have is the TF10 at that time. I guess i'll have to hear the same SE530x6 again to make up my mind. Cheers! :)

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #3,517 of 3,931
I have the TF18 and am going to try the JH13.
Right now what I can say is that the TF18 impresses me at the very beginning. However you just can't listen to them all the time. Your ears will hurt because of the harsh treble and the chaos when all the music from different layers come together.
The best part about them is the vocals. 
That's all I can say for now

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #3,518 of 3,931
Guess after painstakingly going through all 235 pages, I feel quite confident that I had made the right decision to go through UM for my reshell haha. It reached the labs around 28 or 29 Dec, can't wait to get it back! Ordered one with Carbon Fibre faceplate, azure body and tips! 

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #3,519 of 3,931
Mine are on their way to them right now! Does anybody know the day chinese holidays begin and everything is shut down for two weeks?

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #3,523 of 3,931
How much time in average does an item stay at customs? Mine ist stuck there since 24h.......
:frowning2:

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #3,524 of 3,931
Hi guys, I'm an happy TF10x4 owner but I'm thinking about send them back for remolding and a new artwork. Since they're in UM Lab, I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade them to 6 drivers ( 2+2+2 ).

What's your opinion? Thanks!

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #3,525 of 3,931
Quote:
Hi guys, I'm an happy TF10x4 owner but I'm thinking about send them back for remolding and a new artwork. Since they're in UM Lab, I'm wondering if it's worth it to upgrade them to 6 drivers ( 2+2+2 ).

What's your opinion? Thanks!

I was in a similiar position with my 530 x 3. Have a good think about the price difference between the remould + artwork + extra drivers and a set of new Miracles. You will get all new drivers and a full warranty.. If one of your original TF10 drivers fails after the upgrade, then i would not think that UM would accept any responsibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back