Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #3,226 of 3,931
I own 3 of those :D... Except UM has all of them at the moment.
comply T500/tx500, audiozones SF-50, TF/DF (the ones that fit IE8)

Sweet!
Also I realise it is pretty tough to put the tips on them so will the complys fit on nicely or do I have to expand the inner core, since they cant be stretched like the silicone ones?

May 12, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3,227 of 3,931
Sweet!
Also I realise it is pretty tough to put the tips on them so will the complys fit on nicely or do I have to expand the inner core, since they cant be stretched like the silicone ones?
if you get t500 instead of 400 they're a lot easier to put on. The silicone audiozones ones can be put on fine as well.

May 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3,228 of 3,931
Quote:
Matt recons I confused them by direct contact and orders from 2 dealers. Which is probably true. Maybe UMLab was waiting for a confirmation from the two dealers, and the two dealers thought the lab was sending it out. I guess that's fair enough. Though one would hope for a bit less assuming.

Why did you go through 2 dealers?

I think with the number of orders they get it's hard to give everyone's order the royal treatment. It also sound like yours is one of the most complex orders. But still, even my local pizza joint has yet to mix up my order. They can even do half half with custom toppings 
wink.gif

That said UM did an awesome job on mine, fast delivery, perfect fit etc.  

Deep down you like walking the path less travelled?.. If so, these hiccups are all part of the adventure.  

May 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #3,229 of 3,931
Quote:
The investment is the milky-clear silicone mould made *FROM* your original ear impressions. If you look at the UE videos I posted in this thread, you'll see that when they receive your ear impressions, they carve off the excess, grind them smooth, then put them in a small cylindrical holder, and completely fill this with liquid silicone. When this has set, they remove the original impressions and use the new ones (cylindrical shaped) to pour in liquid acrylic. It is these cylindrical shaped silicone moulds which are called 'investments'
I didn't receive moulds back with my CIEMs, I only received the CIEMs alone.

Heir Audio returns the earmoulds with the completed customs. 
Just wondering if you are able to send that to the other manufacturers to get your customs moulded with that exact same shape?

May 12, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #3,231 of 3,931
Have you tried the Sony hybrids on them?
Not sure if they will fit well.

unfortunately don't have any. Sold my last sony IEMs years ago. Perhaps someone else will chip in on this question.

Why did you go through 2 dealers?

I think with the number of orders they get it's hard to give everyone's order the royal treatment. It also sound like yours is one of the most complex orders. But still, even my local pizza joint has yet to mix up my order. They can even do half half with custom toppings

That said UM did an awesome job on mine, fast delivery, perfect fit etc.

Deep down you like walking the path less travelled?.. If so, these hiccups are all part of the adventure.

Because with UM you have the option of going with another dealer if you like UM products but feel unhappy with your exp with the current dealer. (like you know, people looking after your order and going hmmm we promised X by Y date, better tell our customer Z happened because of W. Some say it's common courtesy. Think of ordering things from ebay and what feedback you'd leave a seller in what situation)
It's not unusual. (e.g. some people and ampcity UK).

And it's not royal treatment. It's a standard of customer service for most luxury products. It's the basic keeping the customer in the loop. I don't want my vendor to appear slippery, evasive or not trustworthy... or have to chase them. (or have a vastly differing exp before paying and after)

I wouldn't say my order this time is that difficult. The only difference between universals and customs is the mold reference number (by the way - all 3 orders use the same one). (ok, fair enough SM3x8 is probably hard manual labour wise, but apparently that's been finished).

The separate shipping is their own policy (For ciem.com UMLab ships directly to customer, umglobal/aus via their office. All I did was ask them to bunch the mage/3x3d ordered from ciem into one shipment)

This is not an adventure, I really would've liked to think emailing the lab and ccing the dealers that at least someone is looking after my order. (sure, I decided to email umlab directly, ccing the dealers to query my status order (a habit from my last order), but you know, it'd still be nice if the dealers kept a hand on the pulse and chased things up for me instead of me going 'hmmm umlab promised by first week of may, it's now 3rd week'))

May 12, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #3,232 of 3,931
Quote:
And it's not royal treatment. It's a standard of customer service for most luxury products. It's the basic keeping the customer in the loop. I don't want my vendor to appear slippery, evasive or not trustworthy... or have to chase them. (or have a vastly differing exp before paying and after)
I wouldn't say my order this time is that difficult. The only difference between universals and customs is the mold reference number (by the way - all 3 orders use the same one). (ok, fair enough SM3x8 is probably hard manual labour wise, but apparently that's been finished).

Actually I totally agree with you about what SHOULD happen. I just think they aren't set up to give that kind of support.  I can't imagine they would intentionally want to come across as slippery or untrustworthy.  Email sucks for this kind of thing anyway.  It would be great if they had some telephone staff on hand to answer all the inquiries 24/7.

May 12, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #3,233 of 3,931
Actually I totally agree with you about what SHOULD happen. I just think they aren't set up to give that kind of support.  I can't imagine they would intentionally want to come across as slippery or untrustworthy.  Email sucks for this kind of thing anyway.  It would be great if they had some telephone staff on hand to answer all the inquiries 24/7.

Mmmm, technically speaking I do know UMAus's mobile. Matt gave it to me when I was having fitting issues with the SM3 remold (and called me to help out).That was last may-ish though.

Stephen from custom-iems.com is very straighforward with things and replies to emails very quickly though.

The thing is, it's a UMLab problem for my last two queries with UM (the change of mage mold and this shipping issue), so it's not really that dealer specific. and maybe is more of a UMLab-> dealers or everyone to customers issue (though a procedure for checking up on promised delivery times and updating customers would fix it/Though I'd love for them to keep an eye on it for me and not have me chase it, but as I said with me choosing to email UMLab and cc them I'm not sure the expectations were clear here, and I do feel like maybe I should've emailed Matt and Stephen addressing them directly and not ccing before going on head-fi with it).

For trust in general I meant trust in order completion times and order turning out correctly (or whether their responses to my questions are straightforward or sorta coy).

Oh wow, I got an email from UMGlobal with a fedex tracking # (not sure if it's 2/3 or all 3 IEMs, but still). Nice on UM (and maybe ciem.com?) to work it out with UMLab. Thanks UMG! Sorry for the hassle.

May 12, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #3,234 of 3,931
Do they tend to be more efficient with the remold process if you ship directly to UM in China? I'm in Vietnam and I'll be sending off a set for remolding in the next month or so.

May 12, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #3,235 of 3,931
And I wonder if head-fiers could lobby them to adopt a remold policy similar to that of Heir Audio...as long as you're sending one of their own products for remolding, of course...I think Heir has taken a bold step that makes sense (for the customer
beerchug.gif
).

May 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #3,236 of 3,931
The MaoDi Designed, Unique Melody created Zeus:

UM replaced the 8 High drivers for me too, i find the zeus to be very powerful, very very much like a JH monitor, i would even go so far as to call it a JH19 LOL. it has colored vocals when silver is added into the equation. to be honest i would use a high grade copper like DHC or a TWcu. this makes it sound a lot better without coloring the vocals, normally UM monitors benefit from silver, but as we know they didnt desgin this one. Its triple bore and I opted for non-recessed sockets. Ti plates and some artwork, looks wonderful overall!

May 13, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #3,237 of 3,931
Wow that's insane!

May 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,239 of 3,931
after owning a plethera of CIEMs i wish i could write reviews. but i suck at that. its a shame i could make a lot of good ones. I have compaired almost every mainstream CIEM in the books.

I have to say i favor UM's sound over most others... well the miracle and mage that is... the merlin needs a bit of work in the mid section.

May 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM Post #3,240 of 3,931
the funny thing is, the fr charts are very similar for miracle. and Merlin, if you don't consider the lower end. (so it's more of a perception?)
I heard both units as demos (well, one was a SM3x6 tuned as Miracle), and I thought the difference was mainly the bass. (sure the relative amount will affect your perception of mids and highs)

heh, I like the mage and miracle sound a lot as well. If only UM could get orders right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back