Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #2,161 of 3,931

Quote:
Ok..so i like bass...if i send them both pairs, does anyone know if they will make a pair with 4 bass in each , add a mid, and use the highs....4+1+1???  thanks

It would be a good idea to make it 4/1/1. And make it 4 way. That said you would get sub-woofers, mid-woofers, mids and highs. If properly crossovered it sould sound very good.

Nov 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #2,162 of 3,931
Good luck trying to fit that in your ear. More drivers doesn't mean more bass, in terms of quantity at least. One Sonion 2015 driver can put out more impact in the lows than you could with 2 Sonion 3300 (dual driver each). The high drivers in the TF10 aren't especially good either, as they don't go up to the 20k, not to mention not even the 18k. The hardly reach 17k, and that's pushing it already since you can't hear anything up there with the TF10. The low drivers are very good, but you won;t need 4. 2 will be plenty. Just get them remolded with a mid driver, and get them to turn the lows up like you want it, and you should be good to go.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #2,163 of 3,931

Quote:
Good luck trying to fit that in your ear. More drivers doesn't mean more bass, in terms of quantity at least. One Sonion 2015 driver can put out more impact in the lows than you could with 2 Sonion 3300 (dual driver each). The high drivers in the TF10 aren't especially good either, as they don't go up to the 20k, not to mention not even the 18k. The hardly reach 17k, and that's pushing it already since you can't hear anything up there with the TF10. The low drivers are very good, but you won;t need 4. 2 will be plenty. Just get them remolded with a mid driver, and get them to turn the lows up like you want it, and you should be good to go.

how about adding 2 mid drivers, making it a 4-2-2? does that sound like an overkill?

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #2,164 of 3,931
That wouldn't even fit in your ear to begin with. Three 3300 hundred size drivers and two 2300? I don't think so. the JH16 uses Three 3300 size drivers, and one TWFK size driver. That fills up the whole entire ear already. It'd literally be impossible to fit two drivers, each larger than the TWFK into the same monitor. You'd be well off with a dual arm in every range. It's not a matter of overkill, it's just it won't fit, Also a 8 driver design would be extremely hard to drive if you're using the drivers from the TF10. Be happy with what is being designed and can be fixed up, don't try to out class the Jh16, unless you have proprietary drivers, you're not even gonna get there. Considering Jerry designed the TF10, Jerry isn't going to make a product that's going to be inferior than something he made 7 years ago.

Nov 28, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #2,165 of 3,931

Quote:
That wouldn't even fit in your ear to begin with. Three 3300 hundred size drivers and two 2300? I don't think so. the JH16 uses Three 3300 size drivers, and one TWFK size driver. That fills up the whole entire ear already. It'd literally be impossible to fit two drivers, each larger than the TWFK into the same monitor. You'd be well off with a dual arm in every range. It's not a matter of overkill, it's just it won't fit, Also a 8 driver design would be extremely hard to drive if you're using the drivers from the TF10. Be happy with what is being designed and can be fixed up, don't try to out class the Jh16, unless you have proprietary drivers, you're not even gonna get there. Considering Jerry designed the TF10, Jerry isn't going to make a product that's going to be inferior than something he made 7 years ago.

thanks. 2-1-1 the way to go then!

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #2,167 of 3,931
Sorry to hear about the situation as of now. Hope all goes well. Try sending an email to both just to update everything and give them a reminder.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #2,169 of 3,931
I've read through about 80 pages of this thread, and from the graphs I've seen, it looks like UM add a 6khz spike to everything they touch, even if it didn't have one before. I'm talking especially about http://assets.head-fi.org/b/b9/525x525px-LL-b97d7916_vbattach28936.jpg. I think I'll get a 2-1-1 TF10 for around $300, but if they add that spike then I'll just remold the TF10 for only $200 or so.

Is that just a systematic error or does it actually sound like that?

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #2,170 of 3,931
The graph is what the monitor puts out but not what our ear's perceive. The graph only means so much. If you look at a graph of the JH13, it has a bump even higher than any of the graphs you see on Unique Melody's monitors. Don't judge the monitors audio reproduction just mainly on the graph. 

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #2,171 of 3,931
The graph of the T1 shows a HUGE spike at 8khz and some recession at 4khz, but we perceive it as pretty close to neutral. Same with the ER-4s, although that has a bump at about 1.7khz.

The JH13 graph didn't have a spike at all, neither at 6 or 8k. Something like the SM3 with +3dB at everything above 1.5k would be damn close to neutral for an average person.

Look at this graph: http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/ue_triple_fi_10_freq.jpg. No spike, quite neutral. Compared to the 'extra mids' TF10x4, it seems like that mid driver is adding a lot of lower treble energy, which tends to be fatiguing.

Dec 1, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #2,172 of 3,931
My impressions and se425's arrived in china a week ago and since then i haven't got any updates at shipment tracking. Hope it does not take too long before they reach UM, kinda unnerving knowing that my earphones are somewhere in china and i don't know where...

Dec 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #2,173 of 3,931
Yea I got worried about that too. The thing is that Chinese customs takes a really long time. It took me about a week, so more than likely your shipment will be released soon :)

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #2,175 of 3,931

Quote:
The graph of the T1 shows a HUGE spike at 8khz and some recession at 4khz, but we perceive it as pretty close to neutral. Same with the ER-4s, although that has a bump at about 1.7khz.

The JH13 graph didn't have a spike at all, neither at 6 or 8k. Something like the SM3 with +3dB at everything above 1.5k would be damn close to neutral for an average person.

Look at this graph: http://www.laaudiofile.com/images/ue_triple_fi_10_freq.jpg. No spike, quite neutral. Compared to the 'extra mids' TF10x4, it seems like that mid driver is adding a lot of lower treble energy, which tends to be fatiguing.

The graphs are generated differently. Now I'm having troubles finding the JH13 graph made by the machine UM uses to test their monitors. But there's a 6dB or so spike at 10k or so if memory doesn't fail me.  The graphs that each company uses is based on a different output, and specifications. For example, the graphs of any drivers on Sonion and Knowles site are tested based on Hearing Aid applications. So the graphs of the drivers/receivers mean nothing when the drivers are being applied in an IEM application. I was told this by a Knowles and Sonion representative. It's the same in this case, the graphs being generated are simply made differently. I've seen the graph of the TF10 from UM's machine, and it's definitely not as neutral as the graph you showed there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back