Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #2,131 of 3,931
Haha. They cable itself if very very good, however it's just expensive. You're better off with a Westone cable, or JHA if you don't want the Westone labeling on the cable.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #2,132 of 3,931
Just been reading some very favorable reveiws of the new 5 driver custom by westone. Does anybody know anything about it? According to the westone web page it still implements a three way cross over, wondering what the Driver layout is like. I think i read that it does not add another dual low, but possibly a dual high? Just curious if i could have a clone made from my UM3X's.

Once i get the TF 18's back, im probly going to sent the westones off for a re-shell, and wondering What the best option would be? Anyone here had drivers added, and if so, how do they sound?

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #2,133 of 3,931
Just leave the Um3x's the way they are. Get them remolded, and they'll be a 95% ES3X. They're already highly praised monitors, I wouldn't risk changing your UM3X in to the ES5. The ES5 uses dual high, single mid, and dual low. You would have to get a new crossover, and change drivers for the imitation. I would recommend the change for a TF10 or Se530, cause there's a lot more than can be improved. But the UM3X there isn't as much.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #2,134 of 3,931
Yea. Just found another sorce that stated the westone ES5 had a single low, and a dual mid, dual high drivers, so.... Experts, what does the UM3X have? Is it a single low daul high? Would be very interesting to know If they shared 1 or more drivers. Possibly just add another identicle dual high? That would seem to be an easy way to still reatain a 3way crossover.

Kmon guys, if you were going to reshell a set of UM3X's, what would you do to make them as badda$$ as possible!?

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #2,135 of 3,931
MaoDi, sorry, but i have read several places now that the 5 driver is a single low, dual mid dual high arangement, now if it is simply adding a TWFK ( is that the common dual mid/high driver) then it makes sense. Someone at the canjam said the westone rep told them that it had nothing new going on with the drivers, just an extra one and a bit of a crossover tweek. But most who compaired them to the JH 16 hought them at least on par or better, witch i think is amazing. Now, of course i ( nor you) should take any of that as fact without actually tearing a set apart, but it does make me wonder if the 5 is was just the addition of an extra high dual unit and a tweek to one of the capacitors and or resistors in the cross over.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #2,136 of 3,931
I would think it's dual high, dual mid, single low if they haven't changed anything. The Low driver they use the Ci22955. If you put two in a ear, you can hardly first anything else in besides a Knowles ED or Sonion 2300, or a TWFK, which they use as the high driver/mid driver. If it isn't t a single mid, then it would be two twfk, and a single CI. The only drivers that I know they use is the Knowles BK (Full range) for the UM1, and ES1, Ci22955 as the lows for the ES2, ES3, ES3X,and AC2, and the TWFK that is used as the high and mid for the ES3 and ES3X. I know they use it in the ES5 as well as I can see it through the shell. I also see the Ci22955 too. But Those are only 3/5 of the drivers in the ES5.

Who knows. I find it hard to believe that people can tell they are "better" than other flagship monitors, because when monitors get to these prices and performance, it really comes down to personal preference. This is from my experience of course.

Nov 20, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #2,137 of 3,931
I suppose ES5 is single low - CI, dual mid - DTEC, dual high -TWFK. Now having UM3x add DTEC and you'll get your ES5. The more Westone uses simply stock drivers (not the proprietary one) you could make "low-cost" ES5 by buying 2xCI (2x$25) 2xDTEC(2x$50) 2xTWFK(2x$50) or simply used ADDIEM (1x~$20) summing up you can have your ES5 for $250 +$160 remold or addiem-version $220+160 remold. Anyway $400 is reasonable price.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #2,138 of 3,931
MaoDi, sorry, but i have read several places now that the 5 driver is a single low, dual mid dual high arangement, now if it is simply adding a TWFK ( is that the common dual mid/high driver) then it makes sense. Someone at the canjam said the westone rep told them that it had nothing new going on with the drivers, just an extra one and a bit of a crossover tweek. But most who compaired them to the JH 16 hought them at least on par or better, witch i think is amazing. Now, of course i ( nor you) should take any of that as fact without actually tearing a set apart, but it does make me wonder if the 5 is was just the addition of an extra high dual unit and a tweek to one of the capacitors and or resistors in the cross over.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #2,140 of 3,931

I suppose ES5 is single low - CI, dual mid - DTEC, dual high -TWFK. Now having UM3x add DTEC and you'll get your ES5. The more Westone uses simply stock drivers (not the proprietary one) you could make "low-cost" ES5 by buying 2xCI (2x$25) 2xDTEC(2x$50) 2xTWFK(2x$50) or simply used ADDIEM (1x~$20) summing up you can have your ES5 for $250 +$160 remold or addiem-version $220+160 remold. Anyway $400 is reasonable price.

That sounds very cool if it would work, it makes srnce to me, as i find the um3x to be very smooth and balanced, but lacking in the high end shimmer that adds the cherry to the top of the music sunday. Perhaps this is a discusion best continued on the diy thread, but i would live to play sround with my um3x's. Adding the extra dual high seems straight foreward enough, but the crossover and filters are where some trisl and error would udoubtedly provide the best results. Here again i go back to an idra that i ( and others) have had, make the passive ( or active ) crossover external, so it can be tweeked. So reshell the iems with 5 ( or 6, would not mind a dual low for some extra headroom there...) and use two or three connectors to bring the separated drivers out to a small crissover board, with high quality caps that can ne swapped to get the best possible sound. For me, whittling up a small circuit board is easy, the voo-doo comes in when picking drivers, filters, and component values, but with all the true expertise on this forum, it is most definatly in the relm of possible.

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #2,144 of 3,931
Not sure as to what drivers the Westone 2 uses. But I'm gonna think it's the same as the ES2, so something along the lines of a CI, and a ED. So they could add a CI, to have a dual mid/low, and single high. Add another CI, to make it a three way. Single high, single mid, single low. A simple driver added would be great already. 

Nov 21, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #2,145 of 3,931
Have you tried the Westone ES cable? I have tried a few different cables, UE, Enyo, Standard JH cable etc but always found the ES to be the best of all. The are a pain to get here in the UK so I order from Mike at Freq Sound. I used the ES on my JH13's and also now on my W6's and I find it pretty much perfect....

One cable I thought sucked out detail was the UE TF10 cable, lovely quality (to look at) but the ES cable is far nicer.

Good luck in your search though, do let us know what you go with.

Quote:
man i cant believe there arent aftermarket cables available with a westone connection

will the UE commercial cable fit? 

this seems to be the same connection

http://www.null-audio.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66&products_id=186

Users who are viewing this thread

Back