Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 30, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #1,711 of 3,931
anomalouscode - yes they do look interesting.

May 30, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #1,712 of 3,931
Maybe we should start a new thread regarding the Chinese custom IEM market rather than taking up space on the UM thread.

I will start one now.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/494680/custom-iems-chinese-market-there-is-an-explosion-in-the-chinese-market-for-custom-iems#post_6676391

May 31, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #1,713 of 3,931
Ok, I received my molded Triple. Fi 10. They shipped it May 28th via FedEx and it arrived within 4 days, including weekend! Now that's fast shipment, from China to Belgium :)

The molds fit great, though there is somewhat more pressure on my left ear because of the deep impressions my audiologist took. She said that's quite normal to have different pressure. On to the sound, they are equal from what I remember, almost one month ago. I have better isolation, and the quality is excellent, very transparant acryl.

May 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #1,714 of 3,931
I'm going to have UM re-mold my 530s.  What are the best shipping options?

Thanks,

-john

Edit, I never got any feedback on the various shipping options but ended up sending them out via FedEx since they had a office nearby.  As a data point for anyone that might be interested, my cost was $78 for "International Priority".

Shipped June 2, eta. June 7 so about 5 days delivery time.

They put my box in a envelope (pak), FWIW.

So now the wait begins....

Jun 1, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #1,715 of 3,931

Here some pics wearing my molded UE triple.fi 10. Colour is azur blue :) The clarity as you can see is excellent. Though be prepared to clear them with some alcohol, cause fingerprints and grease blur the acryl quite a lot. I use the stock UE cable.

A note about soundquality in general, they sound very clear, a little more compared to the universal. I think it's because of the better seal and hard acryl increasing the bass response. It's less muddy, even though the triple.fi already is a clear sounding earphone. Some commented about the increased treble, which is true, it's quite edgy, much like the Eytmotic ER4. But I think it's simply the limit of recordingquality you're hearing. Cause on some FLAC rips, good decent studio recordings, bass is punchy and tight, while I don't notice any edgy treble (and that's coming from someone who is very sensitive to loud sounds).

Thanks to Unique Melody!

Jun 1, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,717 of 3,931
I have TF10s that are gonna be heading to UM for the TF18 upgrade.  I need some guidance though.  What special instructions do I need to give Sam?

How many bores?  What filters?  Custom socket if I'm going to use a Westone cable?

Thanks for your help.  I'm excited about rockin' my black TF18s on stage. 

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #1,718 of 3,931

Quote:
I've been having some difficulty obtaining the following technical information on the SE530 6 Driver Modification by UM.

As I understand it, they take away the original designated hi driver retaining the two mid/low drivers as mid drivers. They then add two designated hi drivers and two designated low drivers. All coupled with a 3-way crossover in a dual bore design.

What I want to know is UM's claims on the following:
1. added hi driver make/model;
2. added low driver make/model;
3. Is the 3-way crossover in-house developed?
4. impedance after modification;
5. sensitivity after modification; and
6. frequency range after modification.

Uh, sorry if this has been asked aredy, but i couldnt find anything.
I basically have the same question except for the triplefi. Will there be a difference as to the drivers added for the triplefi remold?

Jun 2, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #1,719 of 3,931

Quote:
Uh, sorry if this has been asked aredy, but i couldnt find anything.
I basically have the same question except for the triplefi. Will there be a difference as to the drivers added for the triplefi remold?

Your best bet is to inquire with UM.

Jun 2, 2010 at 5:33 AM Post #1,720 of 3,931

Quote:

Here some pics wearing my molded UE triple.fi 10. Colour is azur blue :) The clarity as you can see is excellent. Though be prepared to clear them with some alcohol, cause fingerprints and grease blur the acryl quite a lot. I use the stock UE cable.

A note about soundquality in general, they sound very clear, a little more compared to the universal. I think it's because of the better seal and hard acryl increasing the bass response. It's less muddy, even though the triple.fi already is a clear sounding earphone. Some commented about the increased treble, which is true, it's quite edgy, much like the Eytmotic ER4. But I think it's simply the limit of recordingquality you're hearing. Cause on some FLAC rips, good decent studio recordings, bass is punchy and tight, while I don't notice any edgy treble (and that's coming from someone who is very sensitive to loud sounds).

Thanks to Unique Melody!

Thats excellent craftsmanship. ou can even see the ears through the shells, So clear

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #1,722 of 3,931

Quote:
I have TF10s that are gonna be heading to UM for the TF18 upgrade.  I need some guidance though.  What special instructions do I need to give Sam?

How many bores?  What filters?  Custom socket if I'm going to use a Westone cable?

Thanks for your help.  I'm excited about rockin' my black TF18s on stage. 

Dual bore, filters didn't come up at all during my customization... whatever they use works well.. and when specifying the sockets on the order form just specify that you will be using the westone cable and they will know what to do with that. enjoy your tf-18!

Jun 2, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #1,723 of 3,931
Well, it's been a month with the TF18s. I've concluded that it's definitely not how I'm putting in my customs, the left ear remains perfect while the right ear still leaks in some sound and has weak bass response. I went down to have a chat with my local dealer (Stereo Electronics) about the problem, and whether a refit is in order. As I've mentioned before, I'm worried about refitting because as far as I can see, it's just giving UM another random shot at doing it right. A refit only makes sense if the problem lay with my impressions and not UM's work, which isn't something anyone can say for certain. Mrtomlinson, thanks for your suggestion about the spraying of the extra acrylic layer, but as you said they haven't really done it before and I'm not sure the problem lies solely with the canal portion.

With regard to the sonic performance - I recognize this sound as noticeably fuller and lush. The filled in midrange really shines when I throw in the simpler music and instrumental, but when things get complex and the recording isn't pristine, it sometimes feels overbearing. This is kind of why the TF10s really left me feeling stunned - the recessed midrange, while leaving vocals sometimes a bit airy and anemic, really opened up the soundstage depth (perhaps artificially) making the instrument separation truly superb. The sense of space the TF10s gave is something I'm missing with the TF18s... maybe due to the fit. The TF18 bass is also less deep and loud than the TF10s. There are times when I've missed the TF10s... then a song comes on that makes full use of the TF18's midrange strength and reminds me that I've really gone up one rung on the ladder. If the bass is tightened and goes louder (hopefully with the improved fit), then this will be the end of the road for portable audio for me.

To combat the weak bass, I tried turning on the 'Bass Booster' EQ on my iPod. I can see all of you cringe, but the distortion that the EQ introduces is something I'll tolerate for better bass, especially since the distortion isn't always present and is only sometimes noticeable to the point of annoyance. I have been contemplating the Headstage Arrow for the bass boost, but I'm not sure I'm willing to give up the portability and spend the 350 SGD.

I bought my TF10s at $650 SGD a long time ago and the reshells cost me $700 all in, so in total I'm $1350 SGD (960 USD) deep already, and to be honest at this point I think it'd be foolish not to spend a bit more money to get the optimum performance from these monitors. What my dealer told me is that he suspects that opening your mouth too wide during the impression causes your canal shape to change beyond just widening. Which actually kind of makes sense, since smiling changes your ear canal shape differently from just opening your mouth. I'm sure all of you who use customs know that smiling = a few bassless seconds. I was always under the impression that opening wider = larger canal, apparently there's more to it than that linear relationship so I'd like to do more research on the best way to take an impression before I try again. Also I'd like to change the color of my right monitor, the 'black' option in the form turned out to be more opaque than I thought it would.

So... here are the questions.

1. When UM does remolds, do they take into account any complaints you may have with the previous fit and work using the new impressions as well as referencing the wrongly fitting monitor? Or do they just take your new impressions and redo it, completely disregarding the first attempt?

2. Those of you who have done refits, how did they turn out?

3. How does black on the left ear, clear on the right sound?
tongue_smile.gif

4. Any tips for a perfect perfect perfect impression?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back