Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 6, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #1,652 of 3,931
Let me just say that it's been a busy day at work so I've read through all 111 pages of this thread:)  Now I need some feedback from all you owners. 

I am a musican, singer/guitarist in a touring hard rock band.  It's time to get some good IEMs so I've been checking this out.  I don't have that much experience with different IEMs so I'd like to get your take on which of this may work best for my needs.  I've only used the E2c and Westone UM1.  Not high quality at all.  The UM1s just don't do it for me as I prefer a littler warmer sound with some decent bass.  So my question is, between the Shure 530, TF10, and UM3x, which might suit me best for a remould?  I'm also open to adding drivers as well.  I am primarily a vocalist and I like some depth for sure. 

So bring it.  Which universals should I buy to have remoulded?  This will primarily be for stage use.  I'll use them for personal listening but not as much.

Feel free to PM me as well if you have some good insight.

Thanks.

May 7, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #1,654 of 3,931
hey insano, if you're a vocalist , and would rather have more forward vocals , preferring to hear it over the rest of the spectrum i would say get the shure 530. The tf10 signature is an emphasized highs and bass and slightly recessed mids, so it probably won't suit your purposes. When i tried the um3x , i really didn't like it , i found it very veiled and too smooth, lacking a clear attack and punch. So i'd recommend the um3x the least. If you're getting a custom i recommend the 6/8 driver shure, it builds up upon the good mids and probably makes the shure 530 much better than its universal version, improving on its flaws. I'm saying probably because i havent actually heard the se530, but from the experience i've had from remoulding my tf10s , i can say the adding of drivers takes things to a whole new level.

May 7, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #1,655 of 3,931
I don't mind some coloration.  Typically at the venues we play, we're able to EQ our mixes so I don't know how much I'd worry about the mids recessed since I could push them forward.  I don't want a sterile IEM, but rather have one that is musical.  I sing in a hard rock band and I want some bottom drive from the bass and the kick. I am definitely thinking about adding the drivers, not just a remold.  Heck, maybe I'll have to do them both.  

What would my prices be for to turn a TF10 into a TF18? se530x6?

And I guess I'd have to by the originals as well.  If any of you are selling either, let me know.

May 7, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #1,656 of 3,931
Another thought just popped to my head: is it possible to combine the UM2s and TripleFis and create a custom that rivals just a UM2 or TripleFi with an extra driver added? I see a small hairline crack on one of the stems of the UM2, so I've stopped using them for a while now, and they would most likely be the first to be reshelled, although I would love to get the TripleFis done too.

May 7, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #1,657 of 3,931
Just put em in the mail.  So off to china go my super.fi 5eb's.  Now the painful wait begins.....by that i mean the painful email asking for my $159..ouch..me poor.  But i figure i have 2 weeks.  What are most people finding time wise.  4-6 weeks form day you mail it?  Sent it usps, 4-6 day.

May 7, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #1,658 of 3,931

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by teren41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I went down to Jaben's and had some time with the JH13 universals and the TF10 to compare with my TF18. The TF18 is inferior to the JH13, the JH13 is a bit smoother across the entire spectrum and has slightly better and louder bass than the TF18.

Interestingly, the TF10s have deeper and stronger bass than both the JH13 and the TF18. As everyone knows, the midrange is lacking on the TF10s and while I had that pang of regret when I realized the bass on the TF10s was better than the TF18s (it wasn't overwhelming bass, it was punchy and deep on the TF10s), when I put on female vocals and Wilco's YHF, the midrange quality was simply fuller and more complete on the TF18s and the JH13s. (Note: I had the biflanges on the TF10s so the seal was bloody exceptional but borderline uncomfortable lol)

Now, I'm wondering about the bass on the TF18s. I didn't think I had any fit problems, since it's not like there's entirely no bass. Kind of like how mistertomlinson is, if I push the customs tighter to the ear (i press the cable connectors to my head), the bass response is better, I'm not sure if it goes deeper but it certainly is louder and brings the bass in together with the rest of the spectrum. I'm going to spend a month away from the country, so in that time I'll experiment with the way I put in my customs and see if it's just something stupid that I'm doing as I fit my customs in.

I'm also wary of doing a refit, firstly it's another month with my UE700s which is an excellent earphone but after being with the TF10s and now the TF18s it just sucks to go back. Secondly, I'm not sure how to describe what I want, because as far as I can tell, it feels fine and noise is isolated, I get the whole 'my ears are plugged' feeling with the sounds of your body being amplified and all. I guess if I can get a better bass response by pushing the top part of the monitor in closer, the seal could be improved, but as I said I'm not sure how to relay this information to UM and what they can do about it, also I don't want to get new impressions because I'm pretty sure the last ones came out perfect.

Also, sometime in the near future I'll probably pull the trigger on a Arrow amp, I figure the bass boost could help matters but in the meantime I'll just keep working on familiarizing myself with the monitor and seeing if I can adjust it to get a better seal.

Maybe I have just the suggestion for you. I'm sending my right monitor back but I don't think I'll ask for them to remake it. They can make the stem bigger by evenly brushing on the acrylic material and hardening it under the UV light. This will result in a tighter fit if your monitors just seem a little loose and the bass response isn't what it should be. It shouldn't be too detectable since they have the tools to file and buff imperfections. You might consider doing it as well.

Hi mistertomlinson,

Do you know what kind of acrylic UM uses to thicken the bore? I tried a bit of clear nail polish. Its must better but it doesn't stay on well.

May 8, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #1,659 of 3,931

Quote:

Hi mistertomlinson,

Do you know what kind of acrylic UM uses to thicken the bore? I tried a bit of clear nail polish. Its must better but it doesn't stay on well.

It's the same material your shell is made out of. That shell is made of a liquid acrylic that is hardened under UV light. Some companies will brush a layer of this liquid acrylic onto the stem and harden it again under the UV light creating a thicker stem, if you're having fit issues. Assuming they file and buff the stem carefully afterwords, it shouldn't look any different (aside from the additional girth).

From my communication with Sam, I gather they've never actually done it before, but he tells me they will try. Judging by their worksmanship, I'm sure they'll be capable of doing it. I don't think it'll hurt. The fit of my right monitor is 90-95%. I'm sure it'd fit perfect even if they didn't do a flawless job.

May 10, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #1,660 of 3,931

Quote:
I don't see why anyone hasn't contacted one of the cable makers to see if any of them would be able to make a custom cable using the mic from the vi cable. I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult for them.

Just went through all 111 pages and im very impressed by what i read.
I contacted most fo the custom cable makers as well as those on ebay. Most responded that they cant /dont do it. One responded that they currently are working on one.
Which made me decide ill do mine myself. Currently sourcing cables and clear adhesive lined shink tube on ebay. Also waiting on connectors from globalhk i found on another thread here.
Will update after i was able to do mine.

May 11, 2010 at 9:07 AM Post #1,661 of 3,931
Ok, sorry for the delay but I thought I should spend some time and give it a proper test before making any statements.
So here are my impressions on my pair of remoulded JH13 Pro after about a week of use on various sources and in different environments. First of all the fit. I find the acrylic shell quite uncomfortable. People who claim the customs are much comfier than universals, can't feel them in the ear etc must be either lucky or blessed with a low ear sensitivity. Not only I feel the moulds but the ears sweat a lot, the wax builds up and after about an hour of use I need a break no matter what, otherwise the pleasure quickly turns into pain.
Isolation is great, much better than with any universals. Almost no outside noise in a room, in the street or in a bus. The tube or the plane however are a different story. Although discrete, the low frequency rumble of the engines is definitely there making any hiss issues irrelevant. Still better compared to universals but not much better. 
Talking about hiss, I get a fair amount of it from most portable sources, except for the latest generation Ipod Classic. While X1060 sounds better, the level of hiss is almost unbearable to my ears.
As far as sound quality is concerned, this is by far the best IEM I've ever heard but not necessarily my favourite. While it is very revealing, digs a lot of detail from any recording and source (and in this respect it's better than many expensive full size headphones, including my Ed.8), it doesn't necessarily make for a pleasant experience. I'd rather call it linear, cold, analytical. If you're into this kind of sound, JH13 Pro is a winner, almost as good as any full size headphone in the price range, with great delivery across all range (the crossovers are indeed a work of art). I said almost because I still wouldn't trade an Ed.8, O2 or HD800 for it. The sense of scale, presence, weight, excitement delivered by a full size headphone on the right equipment is unmatched, in my humble opinion, by JH13 Pro. But in the IEM world this is probably as close as it gets.
The soundstage is almost completely absent. While Jh13 conveys a certain feeling of space, it is by now means the wide soundstage of a HD800 or even a K701 so, classical music lovers, be warned. 
Also, while it scales nicely with better equipment, the sound remains fundamentally the same, my Benchmark DAC1 HDR making little difference compared to the headphone output of an Ipod Classic on the same loseless recordings. 
All in all JH13 Pro makes for a great stage performer or an excellent companion on the road. It's the best IEM and the closest to full size headphones I've heard, making it a true portable hifi alternative. But it's not perfect and it will never be my first choice for home listening.
Sorry folks! 

May 11, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #1,663 of 3,931
Quote:
Just went through all 111 pages and im very impressed by what i read.
I contacted most fo the custom cable makers as well as those on ebay. Most responded that they cant /dont do it. One responded that they currently are working on one.
Which made me decide ill do mine myself. Currently sourcing cables and clear adhesive lined shink tube on ebay. Also waiting on connectors from globalhk i found on another thread here.
Will update after i was able to do mine.

Got a name to that seller? Definitely will be interested in picking something like that up.

May 11, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #1,665 of 3,931

Quote:
Ok, sorry for the delay but I thought I should spend some time and give it a proper test before making any statements.
So here are my impressions on my pair of remoulded JH13 Pro after about a week of use on various sources and in different environments. First of all the fit. I find the acrylic shell quite uncomfortable. People who claim the customs are much comfier than universals, can't feel them in the ear etc must be either lucky or blessed with a low ear sensitivity. Not only I feel the moulds but the ears sweat a lot, the wax builds up and after about an hour of use I need a break no matter what, otherwise the pleasure quickly turns into pain.
Isolation is great, much better than with any universals. Almost no outside noise in a room, in the street or in a bus. The tube or the plane however are a different story. Although discrete, the low frequency rumble of the engines is definitely there making any hiss issues irrelevant. Still better compared to universals but not much better. 
Talking about hiss, I get a fair amount of it from most portable sources, except for the latest generation Ipod Classic. While X1060 sounds better, the level of hiss is almost unbearable to my ears.
As far as sound quality is concerned, this is by far the best IEM I've ever heard but not necessarily my favourite. While it is very revealing, digs a lot of detail from any recording and source (and in this respect it's better than many expensive full size headphones, including my Ed.8), it doesn't necessarily make for a pleasant experience. I'd rather call it linear, cold, analytical. If you're into this kind of sound, JH13 Pro is a winner, almost as good as any full size headphone in the price range, with great delivery across all range (the crossovers are indeed a work of art). I said almost because I still wouldn't trade an Ed.8, O2 or HD800 for it. The sense of scale, presence, weight, excitement delivered by a full size headphone on the right equipment is unmatched, in my humble opinion, by JH13 Pro. But in the IEM world this is probably as close as it gets.
The soundstage is almost completely absent. While Jh13 conveys a certain feeling of space, it is by now means the wide soundstage of a HD800 or even a K701 so, classical music lovers, be warned. 
Also, while it scales nicely with better equipment, the sound remains fundamentally the same, my Benchmark DAC1 HDR making little difference compared to the headphone output of an Ipod Classic on the same loseless recordings. 
All in all JH13 Pro makes for a great stage performer or an excellent companion on the road. It's the best IEM and the closest to full size headphones I've heard, making it a true portable hifi alternative. But it's not perfect and it will never be my first choice for home listening.
Sorry folks! 

sorry they didn't work out for you and all.

Soooooo... yeah, how much do you want for them lol
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back