Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #136 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardson 1L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Maodi.... is UM giving you free **** or something?...you are promoting UM with an unusual bias and it shows. Just wondering.

I am certainly not promoting UM. However, my experience with UM and looking at their build and prices, i'd thought i'd everyone know about this. I'm am not bias in anyway, i have not made a comparison of UM to any other company and simply stated they are better.

I have listed information on their products and not many people know about them, and because i will be doing a review on them and thought i would familiarize the community on them before my review is launched.

I'm not sure how you think that i am "promoting" UM or being "bias" with them, but all i am here is to help answer questions, provide information, and let the community know about them. Why? because as many may know trying to contact Sam is a difficult situation since Sam isn't fluent in English. So i stand myself as a translator for questions and information.

Also, if you think stating UM does remolding for $80 is bias towards UM, and putting down Null Audio. Then you've got it all wrong. It's simply a fact that UM does remolding for $80 USD, however it does not include a cable, where are the $169/$179 remold from Null Audio is done by UM, but you also get the Enyo cable costing $69. Since you are paying for two companies now, it's slightly more than paying for simply one company.

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #137 of 3,931
@ barleyguy

I also thought about sending my earphones to null audio. However, I did the math, and its only slightly worth it if you wanted the enyo cable. Otherwise, going through UM directly is cheaper. I didn't know they only charge $10 return shipping...thats good information to know, and may have slightly tipped the value further to null (if you want the enyo cable). As maodi mentioned, Null sends their orders to UM so it will probably take longer to get your earphones back if you go with null.

@Maodi...I'm just saying...no offense you. I got a lot of information from you and your threads about UM and I appreciate it. However, I did a lot of researching before I decided to send my earphones off to a random address in china, and I noticed you plugging UM whenever you could, even in threads that you didn't create about UM. Theres nothing wrong with promoting a company because their giving you free stuff or letting you be a "guinea pig" for one of their new 4 driver models...just say so
smily_headphones1.gif

Other people interested in sending their earphones to UM want objective information about the company, and people should know if you are sponsored by UM or affiliated with them in anyway.

Oct 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #138 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardson 1L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Maodi...I'm just saying...no offense you. I got a lot of information from you and your threads about UM and I appreciate it. However, I did a lot of researching before I decided to send my earphones off to a random address in china, and I noticed you plugging UM whenever you could, even in threads that you didn't create about UM. Theres nothing wrong with promoting a company because their giving you free stuff or letting you be a "guinea pig" for one of their new 4 driver models...just say so
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry, but i think you truly are offending me. I've been reviewing products since three years ago. if i were to be bias and like "plugging in" company's because they send me stuff for review, all my posts would be a mess and my reviews would be useless as all they would say "THESE ROCK, GET THEM!". But no, i believe that if a company deserves to be mentioned into the occasion, then they shall be. There's no reason to leave them out, yes i am receiving their brand new monitor for testing and review, however there is no reason for me to be bias towards them. I've received products worth multiple times the product.

Myself isn't here for people like you to put down cause you think i mention UM too much. Rather i'm just here to help others for information. Like i said, if a company deserve to be mentioned, then they shall be.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #140 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by relishmalice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
any1 knows what specific details need to be told to the audiologist when doin the ear impressions? (e.g. UE's audiologist guide gives quite a fair bit of detail)

Typically if the impression is used to make custom monitors, you need a full silicone impression including the Helix, Tragus, Anti-Tragus and all the way pass second bend. Cotton dams are recommended, with an one-inch bite block. (Open mouth impressions are recommended by many manufacturers, not a strict requirement though.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #141 of 3,931
I contacted Sam recently about getting a remold done, but ended up not purchasing the IEM's I was going to use. I was impressed with his communication. Considering the language barrier, I thought he was still able to communicate the relevant information effectively.

MaoDi, I understand why you'd be upset about the idea of being accused of doing something you're not (ie: pimping UM), but at the same time, can you understand why someone viewing things from the outside might wonder?

You have to remember that it's not uncommon for companies to use a type of viral marketing to promote products by enlisting posters to endorse them in these types of communities for free product. It's totally understandable how someone could wonder whether there's something else going on here.

I'm pretty sure that you're just an enthusiastic person who enjoys discussing IEM's, but you have to be aware that you're not the typical poster. When you get "offended" so easily, it doesn't convey the sense that you realize that your posting style is inevitably going to draw some attention.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:50 AM Post #142 of 3,931
Yes i understand where people like Richardson are coming from, however it would be easy to spot that that is the way i discuss and inform the community if one could just take the time into looking into my posts before accusing. i'm offended not mainly because of his accuse, but his fowl way of language and words mainly.

So clarification. I'm not affiliated or "promoting" in anyway for and to UM. I am simply here to discuss about the company, and also provide useful information for others that they may not receive since the Company lists some information in Chinese.

Oct 1, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #143 of 3,931
On a more positive note, as someone who was initially skeptical about UM, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to use their service as soon as I have a good opportunity.

It seems like there's been enough time and feedback that confidence in UM should be considered established. Their workmanship appears to be very good and the price is terrific.

I'm curious about their in-house customs, specifically the quad-driver that's coming out, but I'm guessing I'll eventually go for a remold, as I think that might offer better value. Just waiting for people to tire of their JH13pro's... :p

Talking to Sam, he mentioned he's actually remolded a pair of JH13's already. I was surprised to hear it. I couldn't figure out why a person wouldn't just send them back to JHAudio.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #144 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On a more positive note, as someone who was initially skeptical about UM, I'm fairly certain that I'm going to use their service as soon as I have a good opportunity.

It seems like there's been enough time and feedback that confidence in UM should be considered established. Their workmanship appears to be very good and the price is terrific.

I'm curious about their in-house customs, specifically the quad-driver that's coming out, but I'm guessing I'll eventually go for a remold, as I think that might offer better value. Just waiting for people to tire of their JH13pro's... :p

Talking to Sam, he mentioned he's actually remolded a pair of JH13's already. I was surprised to hear it. I couldn't figure out why a person wouldn't just send them back to JHAudio.

Can't wait to hear about your remolds if you do get them =) Like i said, i will be receiving the new Quad drivers that's going to be released soon, so i can provide impressions and a review soon after.

Someone asked me for their email to do that JH13 remold, because they bought the monitor off of someone else and needed it remolded to their ears and JH Audio doesn't offer this service.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #145 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't wait to hear about your remolds if you do get them =) Like i said, i will be receiving the new Quad drivers that's going to be released soon, so i can provide impressions and a review soon after.

Someone asked me for their email to do that JH13 remold, because they bought the monitor off of someone else and needed it remolded to their ears and JH Audio doesn't offer this service.

I'd been a little concerned about the need to replace the filters on the JH13pro, but Sam indicated that it wouldn't be a problem. It's good to know that it's possible to remold the top-of-the-line JH IEM without any major issues.

I'm not in a big rush to get an IEM right now, so my hope is that if I can just wait for a bit, then eventually some nice customs will show up for sale. Already I've noticed over the last few weeks, for the first time ever, a few higher end customs available for remold in the FS section.

It's got to be nice for people that bought their customs believing that they had no re-sale value to be able to recover some of their costs.

I'm not going to lie, I thought about asking Sam whether he has any plans to create a 'clone' of the JH13pro once he has finished up with the quad-driver that he's been working on. I doubt it, but it's nice to know the number of options are constantly growing.

I'm thinking that, in less than a year, I'll be able to pick up a high end custom for around $400 after remold. A pair of ES3X already went for less than $300 last week.

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #146 of 3,931
That makes me tempted to buy a pair of somebody else's custom and get them remolded if a pair of ES3X went for $300...but i'm a problematic guy. I don't let anyone but the people iknow have clean ears touching any of my gear...

Oct 1, 2009 at 8:41 AM Post #147 of 3,931
I'm finding this a little confusing... can you buy a 4-driver custom from these guys?

On the site, there are silicon customs shown, but I thought they were acrylic, no?

I guess the questions I have are:

- how much does the re-casing cost via uniquemelody? (TF-10 to quad driver)
- how much does a newly built quad-driver custom cost?
- if they don't do the new quad-driver one, how much does the triple driver one cost?
- do they do acrylic and silicon casings?

Sorry for all the questions - if there's another thread with all the answers, please just tell me I'm stupid and gimme the linky.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 1, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #148 of 3,931
how much does the re-casing cost via uniquemelody? (TF-10 to quad driver)

remolding itself cost $80 USD, and adding a pair of drivers cost about $120. So your total would come to around $200 USD plus shipping

how much does a newly built quad-driver custom cost?

They also make their own custom monitors, their quad driver custom that is soon to be released will be roughly $600 USD plus shipping.

if they don't do the new quad-driver one, how much does the triple driver one cost?

Their triple driver custom, the AERO SH is approximately $490 USD plus shipping, it has a silicone/acrylic hybrid shell where the canal part is silicone to provide extra comfort. However, UM themselves told me that they recommend just a plain acrylic shell rathe than the hybrid as it's longevity is longer.

do they do acrylic and silicon casings?
No, all their monitors are offered in Hard acrylic shells with the exception that the AERO SH is available with a hybrid shell that has a silicone canal.

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #149 of 3,931
Hi Guys,
now i have "my" LW T1 for remold , and i am definitly sending them to UM after i will find someone to do ear impressions for me , only thing i am considering is which custom cable to buy? Purple Storm?Pastoral?Wienna?Weiguang? Do anyone know how do they change sound signiture of earphones?I am looking for certain change , but do not want to write it here , not to influence what you will answer me.Thanks

Oct 1, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #150 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by lu-chen-chan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys,
now i have "my" LW T1 for remold , and i am definitly sending them to UM after i will find someone to do ear impressions for me , only thing i am considering is which custom cable to buy? Purple Storm?Pastoral?Wienna?Weiguang? Do anyone know how do they change sound signiture of earphones?I am looking for certain change , but do not want to write it here , not to influence what you will answer me.Thanks

Not sure if they offer their cables in LW connectors. You could always use the stock LW cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back