Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM Post #121 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by shrisha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Scott, sorry for offtop, looks like you have D2 Boa and Pico. I own Boa too. Is it worth to upgrade to Pico? Thanks.

I think so.

Sep 29, 2009 at 12:02 AM Post #122 of 3,931
I just wanted to update everyone. I made enough calls and so did Sam and he found where my package was. It finally got there September 27th. I shipped it on August 28th. That's a long time. I'd hate to think what First Class Mail would have been.

He told me 2-3 weeks for the work. I also got a black version of the Vienna cable coming. Total is $200. Seems like there's still time to change the cable and I haven't heard many people weighing in on it. How do people feel about the cable? Is it worth it? Is there a preferred cable? I heard people say that Purple Storm seems to make things more bassy and having EBs and all I know I don't want them any more bassy than they already are.

My eventual review is back on.

Sep 29, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #123 of 3,931
Wow. I had just assumed you DID send your package First Class, seeing as how it was taking so long. Damn the USPS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rune-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just wanted to update everyone. I made enough calls and so did Sam and he found where my package was. It finally got there September 27th. I shipped it on August 28th. That's a long time. I'd hate to think what First Class Mail would have been.

He told me 2-3 weeks for the work. I also got a black version of the Vienna cable coming. Total is $200. Seems like there's still time to change the cable and I haven't heard many people weighing in on it. How do people feel about the cable? Is it worth it? Is there a preferred cable? I heard people say that Purple Storm seems to make things more bassy and having EBs and all I know I don't want them any more bassy than they already are.

My eventual review is back on.

Sep 29, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #124 of 3,931
An update on my order:

Talked to sam yesterday and confirmed that he received my earphones. I used the USPS Express Mail Service and insured it for $350. From Hawaii, that cost $31. Shipping took 6 days.

I ordered the purple storm cable, solid black earpiece with grey artwork.

quoted price including return shipping was $202.

Update to follow in about a month :O

Question: how purple is the purple storm cable?

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #126 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by rune-san /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Indeed more like lavender, doesn't look like it should have more bass.....! I'd be interested in peoples thoughts on the cables too.

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #127 of 3,931
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/c...ml#post5930114

That was posted last month, but it appears the cable choices were different for him. Maybe it has to do with a different model or the like. I have the black original UE cable I was going to use for portability, but I've thought about maybe one of the other cables, as I know it will be all but impossible to use my Vienna cable portably. A Vienna cable on some 5EBs already has to be some massive overkill..

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #128 of 3,931
So Sam has received my super.fi 5 pros and is adding a mid driver with the remold..
anyone think amping is necessary? It wasn't much of an issue with the 2 drivers, but I'm wondering if adding a 3rd drive will make it more demanding

Sep 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #129 of 3,931
I wouldn't say so. I can't verify it, but I think the EB's take quite a bit more energy to drive than the pros due to the big diaphragm, and any device I've put mine with have had no problem being driven to levels that would make your eardrums tickle. I don't think a third transducer will make the overall load that bad.

Sep 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #130 of 3,931
shouldn't be that hard to drive an extra driver. BA's are so efficient, it barely makes a difference....that is unless they decided to put in 400ohm drivers which their not idiots so they won't.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM Post #131 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by irjoe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So Sam has received my super.fi 5 pros and is adding a mid driver with the remold..
anyone think amping is necessary? It wasn't much of an issue with the 2 drivers, but I'm wondering if adding a 3rd drive will make it more demanding

i heard it was possible to even add another driver.. any1 has any idea wad kind it could b?

Sep 30, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #132 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardson 1L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An update on my order:

Talked to sam yesterday and confirmed that he received my earphones. I used the USPS Express Mail Service and insured it for $350. From Hawaii, that cost $31. Shipping took 6 days.

I ordered the purple storm cable, solid black earpiece with grey artwork.

quoted price including return shipping was $202.

Update to follow in about a month :O

Question: how purple is the purple storm cable?

Is the $202 with an extra driver? Or is that just remolding, cable and shipping? My cost through Null Audio is $179 with remolding, cable, accessories and shipping.

Sep 30, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #133 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by barleyguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the $202 with an extra driver? Or is that just remolding, cable and shipping? My cost through Null Audio is $179 with remolding, cable, accessories and shipping.

$202 is including the added driver i believe (or the cable). It's only $80 for remolding from UM, but you don't get a cable like you do with Null Audio.

Sep 30, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #134 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$202 is including the added driver i believe (or the cable). It's only $80 for remolding from UM, but you don't get a cable like you do with Null Audio.

Sam quoted me:

$90 for reshelling
$42 for cable
$35 for artwork
$35 for shipping

= $202

I think the $179 null audio price does not include artwork or return shipping(I could be wrong on the shipping). Although it comes with a better cable.

@Maodi.... is UM giving you free **** or something?...you are promoting UM with an unusual bias and it shows. Just wondering.

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #135 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richardson 1L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sam quoted me:

$90 for reshelling
$42 for cable
$35 for artwork
$35 for shipping

= $202

I think the $179 null audio price does not include artwork or return shipping(I could be wrong on the shipping). Although it comes with a better cable.

@Maodi.... is UM giving you free **** or something?...you are promoting UM with an unusual bias and it shows. Just wondering.

I didn't request artwork. That would have been an extra $30. It does include return shipping though, via DHL. Mine isn't triple driver, so the base price is $169, and then the DHL shipping is $10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back