Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #736 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by dscans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My remolded TF10 Pro Quad (with the addition of a mid driver)

4262128678_a43bd7e7f7_o.jpg

Build quality was excellent. The fit was also very good....slips into the ear like butter and the seal and isolation was fantastic.

4262128912_9acae22f8e_o.jpg

UM is also pretty flexible when it comes to colours. You can choose different colours for the faceplate, the body as well as the tips! I chose translucent blue for the body with a black faceplate. I think it turned out pretty well.

4262129010_4f5df332f8_o.jpg

A closeup of the innards. The layout seemed neat enough.

I'm still trying to get used to the sound. I think it's safe to say it totally changed the sound signature of the TF10 Pro. At first listen, the bass was boomy and overwhelming, unlike the taut punchiness of the TF10. And I was also like, dude...where's my highs? The crisp, sparkling highs were missing
confused.gif

The addition of the mid driver totally warmed up the sound signature of the TF10, but at the expense of the spaciousness of sound the TF10 was renowned for. To my ears, the new sound was kinda congested. The mids were not particularly well integrated. I don't quite know how to describe it, but it seemed like a large lump between the bass and the highs, without any gradual blending between the frequencies. It also resulted in rather "peaky", unnatural highs for higher pitched female vocals like Sarah Brightman and Alison Krauss.

I also read somewhere that the TF10 with the mid driver is very similar to the UE11 Pro. Well, I also own he UE11 and I can assure you they sound nothing alike
darthsmile.gif
The clarity and smoothness of the UE11, the spacious sound and the deep, extended bass to the sparkling highs were just so natural. There was just no comparison, really.

But that's for the first few hours.

After about 10 hours, the bass has tightened up, and the highs were starting to show, and that's promising. We'll see how it goes after a couple of weeks. As an illustration, my UE11 took about 200 hours to really shine.

They look great and congratz on your monitors! Hope you get used to the sound of the TF10 + mid driver. To me, the UE11 isn't as impressive for the price as other monitors. Lows can be overpowering, and excessively boomy at times and lacking high frequency extension a lot of the time. Just my thoughts so. It's not a bad monitor, just not worth the $1.1 grand you pay for it.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #737 of 3,931
Fair enough big fella. Thanks for your continued help. I'm not sure about the quads based on the post above, but we'll see how it improves I guess. The build quality looks beautiful.

Jan 10, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #739 of 3,931
Hey, glad i could help. One thing I like about UM is that, if you notice near the canal, the soundbores are in solid acrylic rather than having an empty space between the soundbores and the shell. Reduces vibration, and keeps everything in place better.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #740 of 3,931
Hi MaoDi,

I am eagerly waiting for your review of the Turbo Shure530. 6 Drivers should sound pretty interesting. Are you also gettin a Turbo Triple.fi? If you do, please give us a mini-review. All this sounds super exciting: )

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:34 AM Post #741 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That post specifically mentioned that the UE700 was being used as the high driver.

I don't represent UM, as i'm not affiliated with them. I didn't like the post of saying i was affiliated with UM cause they offered me a set of Mage for review. If people are "affiliated" with the company cause they got a free sample for review, then iLounge or Shigzeo would be affiliated to 20 companies.

I don't mind answering the questions, especially this question is it's a rare and uncommon question. I was just throwing it out there so the same thing doesn't happen 15 times for the same thing. IE8 appreciation thread is an example, there's like 10 posts that asks "W3 vs IE8", and half of them state that "I know this has been asked before". Is it really that hard to do a search in the thread for a question that you know has been asked before? No

The 6 driver upgrade for the TF10 will i'm sure (95%) be offered to customers in the near future. The thing Sam is waiting for most is to hear my feedback for the upgrade so he can conclude on it. I was more than happy to provide them feedback so that they could decide to offer it to the public as an option based on my thoughts of the sound. Sam said that both the Se530-6X3 and TF10-6X3 will be shipped out on Monday.

Maodi, you're so lucky to be a reviewer. Haha. Free sample or do you have to ship it back afterwards?

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #742 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by LionPlushie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maodi, you're so lucky to be a reviewer. Haha. Free sample or do you have to ship it back afterwards?

See iii never liked how people put that. I enjoy being product tester cause i enjoy listening to new technology, not for the free samples. If manufacturers needed me to send back the samples, I'd be more than happy to.

Quote:

Hi MaoDi,

I am eagerly waiting for your review of the Turbo Shure530. 6 Drivers should sound pretty interesting. Are you also gettin a Turbo Triple.fi? If you do, please give us a mini-review. All this sounds super exciting: )

Certainly will. No worries on that part.

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #743 of 3,931
hai maodi, i have a couple of question..
i have news from my local store that UM accept remoulding w3+adding 3extra driver for $420 exc shipping..did sam already told you how its gonna sound??
is it true that UM will release their six driver custom IEM sometimes in february??

thanx

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #744 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by dscans /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My remolded TF10 Pro Quad (with the addition of a mid driver)

4262128678_a43bd7e7f7_o.jpg

Build quality was excellent. The fit was also very good....slips into the ear like butter and the seal and isolation was fantastic.

4262128912_9acae22f8e_o.jpg

UM is also pretty flexible when it comes to colours. You can choose different colours for the faceplate, the body as well as the tips! I chose translucent blue for the body with a black faceplate. I think it turned out pretty well.

4262129010_4f5df332f8_o.jpg

A closeup of the innards. The layout seemed neat enough.

I'm still trying to get used to the sound. I think it's safe to say it totally changed the sound signature of the TF10 Pro. At first listen, the bass was boomy and overwhelming, unlike the taut punchiness of the TF10. And I was also like, dude...where's my highs? The crisp, sparkling highs were missing
confused.gif

The addition of the mid driver totally warmed up the sound signature of the TF10, but at the expense of the spaciousness of sound the TF10 was renowned for. To my ears, the new sound was kinda congested. The mids were not particularly well integrated. I don't quite know how to describe it, but it seemed like a large lump between the bass and the highs, without any gradual blending between the frequencies. It also resulted in rather "peaky", unnatural highs for higher pitched female vocals like Sarah Brightman and Alison Krauss.

I also read somewhere that the TF10 with the mid driver is very similar to the UE11 Pro. Well, I also own he UE11 and I can assure you they sound nothing alike
darthsmile.gif
The clarity and smoothness of the UE11, the spacious sound and the deep, extended bass to the sparkling highs were just so natural. There was just no comparison, really.

But that's for the first few hours.

After about 10 hours, the bass has tightened up, and the highs were starting to show, and that's promising. We'll see how it goes after a couple of weeks. As an illustration, my UE11 took about 200 hours to really shine.

Thanks for the post! I hope you'll continue to post about your impressions about how they sound with continued listening and/or burnin! I'm very interested to see how they end up comparing to your UE11's. I've actually bought someone else's triple fi quads and they're currently being reshelled. I expect to get them early next week - but I haven't heard them yet, since his ears were too different for me to fit when I bought them. I'm hoping the mod will provide more detail overall - but specifically in the mid range.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #745 of 3,931
As far as I know. Sam says they don't plan on adding drivers to the Westone 3. Not sure about the release date.

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #746 of 3,931
Just brainstorming at this point, but I would like some feedback on feasibility and/or desireability of my idea. I have the triple-fi, which, like many others, I am considering getting remolded. I also have some sleek sa6's. I much prefer the mids of the sa6 to the tf10--so, why not use the single ba sa6 as the extra mid driver in the tf10 remold? Would UM do this? Would these two enjoyable (to me) iems make one even more enjoyable custom, or would the sum be less than the parts? Also, any suggestions on crossovers or filters to make this work? Again, would UM be willing to tune this thing for me?

Jan 11, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #747 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as I know. Sam says they don't plan on adding drivers to the Westone 3. Not sure about the release date.

that sucks i figured a 3 with an extra mid driver would be pretty killer sound, to my ears anyways.

Jan 11, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #748 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by tacitapproval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just brainstorming at this point, but I would like some feedback on feasibility and/or desireability of my idea. I have the triple-fi, which, like many others, I am considering getting remolded. I also have some sleek sa6's. I much prefer the mids of the sa6 to the tf10--so, why not use the single ba sa6 as the extra mid driver in the tf10 remold? Would UM do this? Would these two enjoyable (to me) iems make one even more enjoyable custom, or would the sum be less than the parts? Also, any suggestions on crossovers or filters to make this work? Again, would UM be willing to tune this thing for me?

The potential and sound of a driver isn't just based on the driver, the tuning takes a great part in it as well. So in you case, to get the SA6 to keep it's sound in the mids while adding it to the TF10 would be not possible as the tuning on the SA6 is for the whole frequency spectrum, rather than just the mids. And to have UM tune the SA6 driver to Sleeks sound would be hard.

Jan 11, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #749 of 3,931
6 DRIVERS??! God, I was out of the loop for too long I guess.

Maodi, any thoughts on turning a TripFi into a quad driver (or even, a sextuplet driver) remolded universal?

Planning to do this, trying to make the Trips into more comfy universals, losing on the isolation side but negating the need to refit every few years (and also increasing resale value retention).

Jan 11, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #750 of 3,931
I've tried including that before. I fit the TF10 in the Earsonics SM2 shell, it sort of worked but there isn't really a shell out there that fits everything. What i think would be a good idea is to make a universal similar to how UE makes their universal versions of their custom monitors. They take the nozzle part of their universal, and mold it into the body of the custom shell making it a universal (nozzle replaces canal parts of the custom shell). I would think you could do the same with the TF10, but you'd have to get someone to understand what you are trying to do and have the ability to do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back