Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2009 at 10:03 AM Post #31 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by gotthing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My reshelled sf5pro with additional mid driver!

3911343093_10cacb1d6c.jpg

those look bloody nice

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #32 of 3,931
the temptation to send in the um3x is strong but the downside is that if the signature comes back drastically altered then you're pretty stuck with it.

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #34 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the temptation to send in the um3x is strong but the downside is that if the signature comes back drastically altered then you're pretty stuck with it.

Its fundamentally the same drivers. If installed properly it should be similar but better... theoretically.

and gotthing, you're really not making it easy for us sitting on the fence :p That said, these look gorgeous. Artwork looks like it may spoil the appreance of the custom... Congrats on them anyway and I really look forward to your review. I would appreciate it if you could especially comment on sound stage.
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:13 PM Post #35 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by A_Dying_Wren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its fundamentally the same drivers. If installed properly it should be similar but better... theoretically.

and gotthing, you're really not making it easy for us sitting on the fence :p That said, these look gorgeous. Artwork looks like it may spoil the appreance of the custom... Congrats on them anyway and I really look forward to your review. I would appreciate it if you could especially comment on sound stage.
biggrin.gif

Hahahaha! After seeing this picture, I decided on NO ARTWORK for that very reason!

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #36 of 3,931
Quote:

biggrin.gif

yea im curious on artwork too.. i'm thinkin of juz placin a nice logo on a clear set but i'll have to look at e shells firsthand before i decide
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #37 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hahahaha! After seeing this picture, I decided on NO ARTWORK for that very reason!

Are you getting custom universals made too? Feel absolutely free to post your impressions
biggrin.gif

Sep 13, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #38 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by insomniax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A consideration, no doubt. I think with the UM56 coming, I can get an idea of the sound changes to the UM3X as customs, I hope they would be similar UM56 vs. reshelling). But again, if the SQ difference is another level (with the UM56), I will probably stop there and just get customs directly from UM some day (or JH, etc.).

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #40 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no circuit board because the SF5 didn't use a circuit board. But filters and caps work superb if done properly as well, i just think it's a bit "cheating". YOU HEAR THAT UE???!

My TF10's defiantly have a circuit board in them. I thought the UE 10 just used caps as well.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #41 of 3,931
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My TF10's defiantly have a circuit board in them. I thought the UE 10 just used caps as well.

Yes i know that the UE10 has a circuit board in them, because the TF10 doesn't use filters or wires, instead the drivers are directly soldered on to the circuit board.

Sep 13, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #43 of 3,931
Quote:

Are you getting custom universals made too? Feel absolutely free to post your impressions
biggrin.gif

I'm getting two pairs of customs from UM. I was planning to get my TF10s remolded in a translucent blue shell without the additional driver because I was afraid it might have negative affect on SQ. I am also getting UM's own quad IEM (2 woofers, 1 mid and a tweeter with 3-way crossover) that's supposed to be released this month. I was planning to get those in solid colored shells because the artwork I have in mind just looks better over a solid color.

After seeing those pics above of gotthing's awesome looking remold, I have decided to do things differently. I've seen the inside of a TF10 and without an extra driver, it's really not that fun to look at, so I'm getting it in the solid shells with artwork instead. The UMs, on the the otherhand... I just can't put them in a solid colored shell now. So, they'll be in translucent blue with no logo, so I can see all the internal goodness.

Of course I'll give my impressions, but I have to warn you, I am a self-proclaimed "poser audiophile" and not nearly as seasoned as a lot fo you here, so my review should be taken with a grain of salt.
frown.gif

It's looking like I wont have my customs till mid October, FYI.
frown.gif

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #45 of 3,931
I haven't paid yet. He's still waiting on my impressions, but it was mentioned in the other UM thread, it would be $500-600, which is roughly HALF of what UE sells their comparable UE11. I've mentioned it before, but I'll say it again, Sam has told me he personally thinks their quad is better than the UE11, specifically saying they use a better mid driver. It has the same configuration: 2 woofers, 1 mid driver and a tweeter with 3-way crossover. From all these pics I'm seeing of UM's work, I trust the UM quad will be just as good, if not BETTER than the UE11 and at a hell of a price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back