Unique Melody Remold Impressions Thread
May 8, 2011 at 6:52 AM Post #2,626 of 3,931

Quote:

Thanks Stix, we're chasing it up with our audiologist and will have you sorted early next week.  Frankly what you audiologist did was pretty unacceptable by our standards...(but it wont cost him his job!)...

You have some great clients and the experience is smooth and fantastic.

Then you have some clients where something goes a bit wrong, but it's no biggie.

Then you have some clients who are downright impossible to please.

Then you have Svyr.

The answer to the above question however is...soon. (yes, now it's our turn to be difficult!)

So glad you are enjoying them mate...keep us posted!

If you use your custom IEMs to listen to music for pleasure etc, why would one require open mouth impressions? 

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
May 8, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #2,628 of 3,931

Quote:
      If you use your custom IEMs to listen to music for pleasure etc, why would one require open mouth impressions? 

We have reached this conclusion after extensive talks with audiologists that regularly serve us as well as basic statistical analysis that we do based on client experiences and the quantity of re-shells that are required.  Open mouth impressions whereby the jaw is kept motionless during the curing process results in the highest chances of a good fit with a consistent seal and no discomfort, regardless of the use.

May 8, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #2,629 of 3,931
UMAus, I sent you an email regarding my sm3x6. I think i'll need to send it back for repair. I somehow dropped it and I think it has a crack. I'm not sure because it's barely visible. I could just feel it on top of the faceplate. Whenever I play bassy songs loud, there is this ticking sound.hopefully it could still be fixed.thanks.

Sent from airwax' tab

May 8, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #2,630 of 3,931

Quote:
UMAus, I sent you an email regarding my sm3x6. I think i'll need to send it back for repair. I somehow dropped it and I think it has a crack. I'm not sure because it's barely visible. I could just feel it on top of the faceplate. Whenever I play bassy songs loud, there is this ticking sound.hopefully it could still be fixed.thanks.

Sent from airwax' tab

No problems, sorry to hear that.

We'll get it sorted for you and back in your ears in no time.

May 8, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #2,631 of 3,931

Quote:
Quote:

Sent from airwax' tab

No problems, sorry to hear that.

We'll get it sorted for you and back in your ears in no time.

Well, I just tested them again, this time with a different amp, and the distorting sound was gone. I guess that was caused by my T3 having very little battery while I was commuting home. Anyway, I may not have to send them back anymore. Is there a way to just smoothen the shell? A clear gloss or something? I don't want to be away from them anymore. How do I check if it has a crack? :)

May 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #2,633 of 3,931

Quote:
Well, I just tested them again, this time with a different amp, and the distorting sound was gone. I guess that was caused by my T3 having very little battery while I was commuting home. Anyway, I may not have to send them back anymore. Is there a way to just smoothen the shell? A clear gloss or something? I don't want to be away from them anymore. How do I check if it has a crack? :)

You could try an acrylic clear coat.  Naturally we don't recommend this and we would rather fix it properly, but we totally understand you not wanting to part with them.

It's hard to tell, but if you can see a crack, then generally you are going to want to get it repaired, especially if you can feel that it is a complete fracture when you run your finger across it.

We've done testing on our IEMs and they have proven to be generally fine from even up to ear height (1.5-2m) even on concrete.  It all comes down to the way they land though.  

May 8, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #2,634 of 3,931
The problem really was the cable I was using (a TWag) is loose on the socket. This is the same with all my cables, a JH cable and a Silver Dragon IEM cable. The only cable that fit well was a UM cable from a friend (very tight fit). But all of them have the pins not going all the way through the socket. Sometimes, when I remove the earpieces out of my ears, the pins slide out of the sockets and sometimes the earpieces fall while I was holding the cable. The left earpiece fell twice already, one time on concrete (bounced twice) and the other time on tiles. Now, I need to be extra careful when taking them out of my ear, making sure that I'm holding the earpiece securely. Kind of annoying when you're taking them out with one hand, and the other hand waiting to catch it in case it falls. Also, I can't have them dangle around my neck, I'm afraid they might just fall off. I wish I got the recessed socket instead.

However, they sound amazing now. So it's very difficult to be away from them anymore.

May 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #2,635 of 3,931

Quote:

Great pictures and great looking custom set.

It's very interesting to see bubbles in the acrylic in UM products. Tiny bubbles like that have absolutely nothing to do with build quality (in the sense of durability and reliability), they are only something that people on head-fi talk about when they are ignorant. I'm only pointing it out to make that point. UM seems to be doing a great job.

May 8, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2,636 of 3,931
Are those bubbles or driver clearance? It kinda looks like driver clearance since that area goes to the other side of the canal.

Either way the build quality and feel of the UM custom I have is better than the other 2 customs that I have had by other companies.

May 8, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #2,637 of 3,931

Quote:
Are those bubbles or driver clearance? It kinda looks like driver clearance since that area goes to the other side of the canal.

Driver clearance can make a bubble by the sound tube? I would be interested in hearing more about how that could be. Actually, anything you have to share about customs manufacture would be welcome as always.

Again, I'm not at all questioning UM's build quality as I think it's pretty clear that tiny bubbles and inclusions have nothing to do with that.

May 8, 2011 at 9:55 PM Post #2,638 of 3,931
Well I didn't think that you were questioning UM's build quality. There are some drivers nearby so maybe that is what it is. However right next to it is a bubble that's much smaller so maybe that was what you were referring to.

I do absolutely agree that bubbles don't have much to do with build quality. It does look cleaner and much nicer without any bubbles but I'm not spending more time looking at the customs compared to listening. If bubbles had some kind of correlation with bad build quality then most customs would not last very long.

May 9, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,640 of 3,931

Quote:
Hey a quick question, is it normal for the iem to loose seal when you press on the bottom the faceplate

It's more that there's a problem if the seal isn't good when you're NOT pressing on the earpiece. If the seal is good and holds well when you chew and open your mouth, smile, etc., and it's comfortable, then you have a great seal. Some small loss when you open very wide or smile very wide is okay and sometimes unavoidable as long as it re-seals well when you close your mouth again.

If you find yourself pushing on the earpiece to try to get a better seal, that's more of a sign of a problem, because of course simply moving the earpiece is going to affect the seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back