Unique Melody Platform Pure 6 (PP6) - review (1st post), discussion, appreciation, & tour thread
May 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #467 of 484
Quote:
My JH16A (Not FP) sounds much better with the 3A amp then with Portaphilo 627 out of my CLAS. 

Thanks for the info. Thisis good news. 
What source do you use with the 3A ?  Indeed, the 3A do not has optical in, and it's USB is limited !  do you use coax in ? 

May 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #469 of 484
Quote:
Ok here is what I hear .
First off the jh3a jh16 combo not the same but in some ways it's is.

With the amp and useing spidif coax or a external USB to coax like halide . The sound has more ambience , more space between instramints and in some ways more clear and precise.

If I use them without the amp I can get really close but useing about 5 k in electronics.

As for the pp6. The cross connect is not availible as of yet . So only the DAC/ amp box may be used . So as I do beleave there is something to be gained I cannot say without the cable.

Foot note the jh in ref is the freq phase
I also own a pair of jh16 all new drivers from JH. And rescelled at UM . I can say they sound great but not the same as the combo freq phase . But I can only here the difference when A/B testing its hard for me to tell from my memory . I'm just not that good at it. But there is a difference . The same as I said above. So in the end I think the pp6 is a good value based on not needing an amp or DAC. The same for JH . But this is just my opinion

AL D

As you can se AL things it takes "5k in electronics" to get close to what the 3A do with JH 16. But then you have to consider if you like the signature of the JH16 also. But I think when you get both the FP (for phase correction when use without the amp) and the amp for super phase correction, it is a good deal since I use my JH16 at least 50% on the go without the amp. I don't have FP though :frowning2: 

May 20, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #470 of 484
Quote:

As you can se AL things it takes "5k in electronics" to get close to what the 3A do with JH 16. But then you have to consider if you like the signature of the JH16 also. But I think when you get both the FP (for phase correction when use without the amp) and the amp for super phase correction, it is a good deal since I use my JH16 at least 50% on the go without the amp. I don't have FP though :frowning2: 

Thanks for this added information.  So YES I am now a believer of  3A & UM-PP6.   The only questions remains... JH-3A or UM-PP6 ?

Which one has the best sound ????

Plus... JH-3A has the advantage of the IEM being able to be used without the 3A Amp while UM-PP6 has the advantage of accepting Optical In as well as USB at full 24/192 resolution while JH-3A really need a Coax.    My curent DAP (iRiver AK100 don't has COAX :frowning2:...)

May 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #471 of 484
The price difference covers for a DAP with coax out. But I don't think you need it the 3A sounds very good without digital in. As mentioned before you should as ALRAINBOW about comparison between them as he has both, but I must say again that the JH16A without amp is as good as JH16FP and I certainly don't think that PP6 will be that good without amp even tough they might be even better with amp. I don't know if it is possible to get the JH3A with the 13FP instead of JH16FP. If that's so I think that would be even better! Because the 3A has separate amp for bass to give you more then you can handle even if you use it with jh13, and JH13FP is supposed to be the best CIEM out there according to the huge CIEM test...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/totl-madness-24-top-line-custom-ear-monitors-reviewed

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:46 AM Post #472 of 484
Has UM come out with the cross connect cable for the pp6 . they said they would mail it to me when released but as of this writing no cable .

Oct 20, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #473 of 484
  Has UM come out with the cross connect cable for the pp6 . they said they would mail it to me when released but as of this writing no cable .

RE: Crossover Cable

I have been in contact with the UK HQ, they say that it's so new they're just in the process of listing it on the website, will cost £115 in the UK and I think it is $175 AUS.

So they are now starting to ship it, I think we need a few reviews on here by a pro iem reviewer: either average_joe or ljokerl

All impressions with it would be welcome.
Comparisons especially so, as I'm headed down the slippery slope of purchasing a second and then definitely a third CIEM (there may even be room for a fourth...)

(done a quick search and can't find any references - please correct me if i'm wrong)

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #474 of 484
Crossover cables? Damn, I would love to get one.

So far, what has it been nearly a year now? My PP6 has been good. Although I do prefer warmer tone, the experience of PP6 has always been more or less pleasant.
Few things:
a) Declippers are essential IMO with the PP6. I never really felt the need to declip my digitial signal before, but with PP6 it improves the isolation further.
b) the sound quality is good, but the mechanical design of this thing is so....meh. The loose connection was fixed with the nail polisher-thank you for the recommendations. However, now I'm having problem with the loose USB connection. Sending it back for a repair.

Mar 31, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #475 of 484
Has any one rec a CRAUSS connect cable
I have not rev mine. They are shown on the website but only as an option
I cannot buy it alone.
I have emailed them twice and in different ways with no response
Can someone here help ??

Apr 1, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #476 of 484
The cross connect cable is listed on there website. But not as a purchase without the pp6. We as pp6 owners how can we obtain one. ?

I have emailed them and not rec a reply. And ideas here . ?

Al

May 9, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #477 of 484
Hi, 

I wanted to let you guys know that I've got the PP6 working with the iPhone via the Halide Bridge. Just in case you didn't already know, since IOS7.1 Apple unlocked the USB digital audio stream. I'm really excited about this. Here's some information for those of you who might want to try it.

When the bridge is connected you get an error that it can’t be used because it uses too much power. However, as soon as you put a USB hub between the bridge and the iPhone the power error doesn’t appear and they communicate. (Unfortunately, this “trick” doesn’t work for the PP6 USB interface directly.) So the chain is: iPhone (running IOS7.1+) > lightning to USB adapter > USB hub > Halide bridge > PP6. 

Though this sounds like a lot—its small. Even these simple USB splitters works. The Cute USB splitter may not work consistently. I’m not sure as I now use an adapter I made to keep the profile as low as possible. 

http://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-Port-Splitter-Black/dp/B00II4NWQE/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1399563951&sr=8-9&keywords=cute+usb+hub

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-usb2-splitter.html

(FYI: you can cut off an end and it should still work.)

Another solution aside from the Halide is the much cheaper Matrix USB-Spdif (http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/5/index.html). It may even work without the USB hub though I haven’t tried it. The results though with the Halide are simply stunning. I’m not sure if Halide ever thought about portability, but its form factor is ideal for the application. You have streamlength async USB code in a tiny self-contained, self-powered unit.

Being a Mac/iTunes/iPhone person, this is a dream come true. But no matter the platform I really believe this is the best sounding portable audiophile system available bar none. Running Neutron Music Player app on IOS7, this system loses no ground to my full-size Macbook Pro running Pure Music Server. In fact, I don’t know why, but it may sound better. 

I know the PP6 may not have gained the traction it should because people don’t want to commit to an IEM that is locked to a proprietary amp/DAC. John Grandberg’s mixed review of the PP6 for Innerfidelity concluded that a setup of equal sound quality could be put together with separate desktop components. Maybe—but it is because the PP6 is an integrated system that it achieves such high caliber sound from one small portable box. Perhaps that had disputable value when you still needed a laptop, but with an iPhone the game changes. Add in the Halide and you have a complete high-end audio chain in a 1.5-stack mobile package. 

I remember a Headfi meet in NY where I was listening to a Meridian > Woo 7 > Grado GS1000 system. Completely different sound signature, but I think this setup is up there, and I can put this on a belt and get on a bike.  

All the best, 

Edward

May 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #478 of 484
I have the JH3A DSP for JH16A, and I agree that these DSP solutions has not gained the traction they deserve. ALRAINBOW has both the PP6 and the JH3A and he put them right on the top of portable sound.

I have used the CLAS for spdif for about 3 years now, and though it might not be as small as the Halide Bridge it is still a portable system. Sound wise I don't know witch one that is better of them.

I hope that JHA develop an even smaller DSP-amp for the Roxanne, cause I believe these phase correction systems makes a huge difference in sound quality. My JH16 improve from being my worst CIEM to become the best with the JH3A-amp (I also have SE 5-way and 1plus2). And I have other good amps like the Portaphile, but they can't make that a difference with any of my CIEM, so I believe it's all about the DSP's phase aligment. My twag also make some improvement off course. 

May 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #479 of 484
I gave the PP6 a mixed review at InnerFidelity because to me it felt (and still feels) like a missed opportunity. I love some aspects of it, and see the potential, but I also get frustrated in using it. Specifically, the gain needs to be reduced. That is step one. My unit goes from silent to quite loud in a very small increment, and there's still a ton of unused range on the volume knob. I believe it is digital attenuation too, so we lose resolution by applying so much of it. This means the PP6 is actually capable of sounding even better, if we could crank volume to 75% or higher without killing our ears. 

Fix the volume control, get rid of the "thump!" on power on/off, and transform the bass boost into something worthwhile, and the PP6 would be a spectacular product. I'd totally recommend it. As it stands, those things really detract from the experience. 

May 10, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #480 of 484
John, thanks for weighing in! Your article on TOTL IEMS was fantastic and I completely appreciate your reservations. For me the bass boost is the most problematic. Something the JH3A got so right. I can work around it on the Mac because I have a ton of studio plugins, but, I can't fix it on the iPhone with Neutron's EQ without losing resolution. 

The thing for me, and this is just personal, is that if I'm going to be using desktop gear I'm not going to be using IEMS. I'm stationary so I might as well use full size headphones or speakers for that matter. If I'm scaling down to IEMs I want the smallest self-contained support package available. So having a high grade amp and DAC in a single box--tuned to the IEMS was a gift (one charger). Next, if I could use the little sliver of kit that's an iPhone then I can get rid of the Algorhythm Solo. Good bye three stack and another charger. But for me the icing was the Halide. An async USB to Spdif  convertor good enough to sit between large stationary boxes but minuscule and without need for AC. Yikes.

Even with the definite drawbacks of a first iteration unit, the PP6, in this system, is a marvel to my mind. Using Neutron as a software server--the whole thing just comes together for me. I sit and work at a Starbucks and can't believe what we have available now to the mobile audiophile. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back