Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 23, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #5,071 of 7,302
You are better off upgrading your DAC. You will get better sound and it won't be that much more than the adapters you are looking at. And, the adapters attenuate the sound and lose connectivity over time.

I would look at any of the following depending on your preferred use case:

Ifi Go Blu: Get this if you want Bluetooth
Lotoo PAW S2, L&P W2, Cayin RU6 is money is not an issue and you want the best sound
Lotoo PAW S1 used if money is an issue. You can get one for around $100.
Thanks for the recommendation, I really am looking for a bluetooth device, I usually use the BTR5 in bluetooth about 80% of the time using APTX and APTX-HD - and about 20-30% of the time as a USB-DAC.

Ifi Go BLU seem ok - maybe I'll get a W2 as a secondary device and check it out, I'm curious to compare it to the BTR5 - which is a good device IMO - I listened yesterday several FLAC albums for about 5 hours with the BTR5 connected via USB-DAC and wow my brain was blown away with instrumental - rock - electronic music. Great soundstage, and layering of instruments. MEST are really great IEM's.

All the best,
Rizzoli

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #5,072 of 7,302
Well, think I must have somewhere between 100 and 200hrs on my Indigos now and absolutely loving them.

These are without doubt the best in ears I've listened to. I've heard others that do certain things better but as a whole, these are stunning and work very well with my library. A combination of burn in hours and brain burn in has resulted in big smiles.

If and when UM's next version of Mest comes out, presumably with the new BCD found in Red Halo, I'll definitely be queuing for a pair.

One thing that's floating around my head though is to try pairing them with a good R2R. N8ii is on my list when it drops but keen to hear LP6Ti / pro. Anyone pairing either of these LP untis with indigo and what are your thoughts on them together? Comparisons with other TOTL DAP? Do they limit pairing with specific genres of music?

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #5,073 of 7,302
Well, think I must have somewhere between 100 and 200hrs on my Indigos now and absolutely loving them.

These are without doubt the best in ears I've listened to. I've heard others that do certain things better but as a whole, these are stunning and work very well with my library. A combination of burn in hours and brain burn in has resulted in big smiles.

If and when UM's next version of Mest comes out, presumably with the new BCD found in Red Halo, I'll definitely be queuing for a pair.

One thing that's floating around my head though is to try pairing them with a good R2R. N8ii is on my list when it drops but keen to hear LP6Ti / pro. Anyone pairing either of these LP untis with indigo and what are your thoughts on them together? Comparisons with other TOTL DAP? Do they limit pairing with specific genres of music?
Indigo definitely pairs well with my R2R dap the LP6. :)

7D4863E6-C5CC-4338-9FD9-B71D266CA3F7.jpeg

I am also doing some cable rolling: stock vs. PW Attila vs. Liquid Link Venom. No result yet, but it is a lot of fun.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the LPGT Ti is also a great pairing with Indigo. The sound from it, compared to LP6, will be more neutral and less warm.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #5,074 of 7,302
Indigo definitely pairs well with my R2R dap the LP6. :)

I am also doing some cable rolling: stock vs. PW Attila vs. Liquid Link Venom. No result yet, but it is a lot of fun.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the LPGT Ti is also a great pairing with Indigo. The sound from it, compared to LP6, will be more neutral and less warm.
Do you find LP goes well with most genres (I'm predominantly Rock) or more of a one trick pony and aimed at voice / classical etc?

I actually really like the cable they've used, looks good, fittings are really nice, rolls up well...glad they've supplied a decent cable to put me off trying others! :)

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #5,075 of 7,302
Do you find LP goes well with most genres (I'm predominantly Rock) or more of a one trick pony and aimed at voice / classical etc?

I actually really like the cable they've used, looks good, fittings are really nice, rolls up well...glad they've supplied a decent cable to put me off trying others! :)
I think the strength of LP Daps, for LP6 in particular, is that it tend to work well with almost all the genres.

P6 Pro could be a different story because it has two versions with different tuning flavors. The newer Obsidian version is more vocal-focused while the OG (black gold) works with more genres, iirc. If you search within their thread you may find more info on this comparison. I personally have not tried the new Obsidian version so cannot comment for sure.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:33 PM Post #5,076 of 7,302
I think the strength of LP Daps, for LP6 in particular, is that it tend to work well with almost all the genres.

P6 Pro could be a different story because it has two versions with different tuning flavors. The newer Obsidian version is more vocal-focused while the OG (black gold) works with more genres, iirc. If you search within their thread you may find more info on this comparison. I personally have not tried the new Obsidian version so cannot comment for sure.
Did you sell your C9? I don't see it in your gear list.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #5,077 of 7,302

I personally think LP6 is the better all-rounder. I find the P6 Pro to be little on the soft and warm side. If you prefer to tame some of the bite and treble, P6 Pro might be a better choice. With rock/metal, I prefer to hear the bite of guitars and drum kits - LP6 does an excellent job at it. In my view, reproduction as intended.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #5,078 of 7,302
I personally think LP6 is the better all-rounder. I find the P6 Pro to be little on the soft and warm side. If you prefer to tame some of the bite and treble, P6 Pro might be a better choice. With rock/metal, I prefer to hear the bite of guitars and drum kits - LP6 does an excellent job at it. In my view, reproduction as intended.
Agree, P6 Pro OG tends to be too relax/warm sometimes, great for relaxation but could be a bit lacking in energy when the track is supposed to be very involving.

Jan 25, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #5,079 of 7,302
Did you sell your C9? I don't see it in your gear list.
Yes, although I am regretting it now and want to buy it back. :sweat_smile: I am getting the M30 with the new powerful module to drive Stealth, and want to see how that will go first.

Jan 25, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #5,080 of 7,302
Just got my like-new Mest Mkii from Musictek. First few minutes of listening either from DX160 or from my desktop DAC/AMP stack, I feel only a slight improvement over my Monarch OG. I may need more time to truly evaluate this upgrade after I made the last minute decision to give up Z1R for Mest Mkii.

Jan 25, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #5,081 of 7,302

I was just A/B-ing AC/DC "Beating Around The Bush" with P6 Pro and LP6 (with Mason FS). P6 Pro reminds me of listening with HD600. Warm but detailed, a bit soft and thick like listening with an old wooden cabinet speaker. Warmer, more linear mid-treble, and deeper stage than 3Max SS. If you like a well-blended analog experience, I'm inclined to recommend P6 Pro. Switching to LP6 (Ti 7AE), guitars and vocals pop. I thought I had the guitar cabinet right next to my ears. Suddenly, the individual make up of the band really shines with clarity but with solid texture and musicality. Sharp guitar riff comes through but never offensive. You can hear the nuance and decay of the snare hit. The raspiness of the vocals. It's like switching to Focal Utopia which is very dynamic and resolving, but never thin. It's hard to describe... different type of resolve compared to 3Max. Exciting but maybe fatiguing for some? YMMV. :slight_smile: Wish I had the Indigo to try out :sweat_smile:

Jan 26, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #5,082 of 7,302
Just got my like-new Mest Mkii from Musictek. First few minutes of listening either from DX160 or from my desktop DAC/AMP stack, I feel only a slight improvement over my Monarch OG. I may need more time to truly evaluate this upgrade after I made the last minute decision to give up Z1R for Mest Mkii.
That's a tough one, both MEST and Z1R are extraordinary.

Personally, I have MEST, Z1R and Indigo and I would never have thought about selling my Z1R until Indigo came in.

I do think Z1R is a bit better than MEST OG, which I also kind of prefer to MK2.

Indigo really sounds like a mix of Z1R and MK2 MEST however, and is absolutely world-beating.

Hang in there though, MEST transforms a lot with burn in, especially the EST's are finicky and a bit rough in the first hundred hours of life and may come across as thin and brittle. With burn in, you should prefer your MK2 over Z1R as a generalist "do-it-all" iem :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 26, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #5,083 of 7,302

It also depends on what type of music you listen. I made the same upgrade from Monarch OG to mest MKII. On most things I listen I like the Mest more. But per example, if I'm listening to trance, I think the Monarch is better suited. That bass extension is fantastic on the Monarch.

Jan 26, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #5,084 of 7,302

Personally, I have MEST, Z1R and Indigo and I would never have thought about selling my Z1R until Indigo came in.

I do think Z1R is a bit better than MEST OG, which I also kind of prefer to MK2.

Indigo really sounds like a mix of Z1R and MK2 MEST however, and is absolutely world-beating.

Hang in there though, MEST transforms a lot with burn in, especially the EST's are finicky and a bit rough in the first hundred hours of life and may come across as thin and brittle. With burn in, you should prefer your MK2 over Z1R as a generalist "do-it-all" iem :)
Do you find the indigo to have more subbass than mk2? How does the subbass extension compare to mk2?

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #5,085 of 7,302

Thanks for the input. I did find the strength of Mk2 is in the mids, especially compared to Monarch OG. However, the bass (especially the sub-bass) is not as impactful as Monarch. Of course, all the IEM I have, the bass impact are not compareable to fullsize heandphone, such as Sundara, HE6SE, even a very cheap Sony MDR-V6.

BTW, at the price level of inidigo, would Empire Ears Odin or EVO be even better?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back