Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jan 18, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #5,041 of 7,306
Has this been confirmed anywhere? I don't get contact of the shells of the Indigo with my ears at all because its uncomfortable and I hear the BCD magic in the imaging just fine.

I only reported what I had read in this thread when the MEST first came out. If I recall correctly, it was @UniqueMelody that mentioned this. Of course, we all have different anatomies, so given the smallness of your ears as you have mentioned before, you may be luckier than most in getting the necessary stimulation without deep insertion. ✌️

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #5,042 of 7,306
Has this been confirmed anywhere? I don't get contact of the shells of the Indigo with my ears at all because its uncomfortable and I hear the BCD magic in the imaging just fine.
i tried my friend EVO and when the shell touch the ear skin and when the shell dont touch the ear skin it is different. Also i now use smaller tips with mest mk2 and insert it deeper until shell touch my ear there is staging different and bass increase of course i lower my volume compared to before since i insert deeper. this time with mest i feel the thumping a bit more compared to before. i will ask Unique melody privately so i dont talk bullsh*t. Will comeback after getting reply from UM.

Jan 18, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #5,043 of 7,306
hi guys i have a question regarding mest mk2 bone conduction. A friend of mine own empire ears EVO and he talked with empire ears owner that for empire ear bone conduction to work the shell have to touch the ear and then he tried it and it does work. So i owned mest mk2 does it work the same way? He said for empire ears evo to touch his ear he need way smaller tips to slip deeper. is this the same case?

i tried my friend EVO and when the shell touch the ear skin and when the shell dont touch the ear skin it is different. Also i now use smaller tips with mest mk2 and insert it deeper until shell touch my ear there is staging different and bass increase of course i lower my volume compared to before since i insert deeper. this time with mest i feel the thumping a bit more compared to before. i will ask Unique melody privately so i dont talk bullsh*t. Will comeback after getting reply from UM.
I will reply here publicly. The thing is, for all BCD, the larger contacting area the better quality you can get. However, with our improving design in both inner structure and outer shape, it is easier to get the optimum BCD quality.

The MEST mki or og we use a 7 layers single conduction BCD, so you will need a large and tight contacting area to get the best result. With MKii, we increased inner transmission efficiency by doubled the driver layers (15 layers), and added another supporting panel (one towards the body of the inner shell, one goes to the faceplate) so it is called dual sides bone conduction. and redesigned the shells to get a better fit. Then for Mason and indigo, we further improved the material of supporting panels, and adjusted driver positions to increase the transmission efficiency for both sides. So for each generation, it becomes easier to get the best results.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jan 19, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #5,044 of 7,306
I will reply here publicly. The thing is, for all BCD, the larger contacting area the better quality you can get. However, with our improving design in both inner structure and outer shape, it is easier to get the optimum BCD quality.

The MEST mki or og we use a 7 layers single conduction BCD, so you will need a large and tight contacting area to get the best result. With MKii, we increased inner transmission efficiency by doubled the driver layers (15 layers), and added another supporting panel (one towards the body of the inner shell, one goes to the faceplate) so it is called dual sides bone conduction. and redesigned the shells to get a better fit. Then for Mason and indigo, we further improved the material of supporting panels, and adjusted driver positions to increase the transmission efficiency for both sides. So for each generation, it becomes easier to get the best results.
:D thank you!

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #5,045 of 7,306
Hey guys, so I own MEST OG (which I love more every single day +1,200 hours) - with Stock cable. I own the Fiio BTR5 and is my main DAC/AMP combo. I am considering upgrading the Fiio BTR5 to the W2.

Would I really notice any difference soundwise? Who has this pairing MEST (MKI or MKII) and the W2 and has had the Fiio BTR5.

Not sure the +200 dollar investment ( + sell the Fiio and get the W2) is really going to improve or differentiate the sound signature. And if so, is it better overall? Have +1,200 or closer to probably 1,500 hours on this setup and has served me excellently well. No complaints, no white-noise or any other noise filtration. Just pure good sound. But I am doubtful if a different source (really portable such as the one I've got or dongle or W2) will improve my experience with these great IEM's. I'm always on the move - be it Library - Office - Home and like the portability and easiness of use of the BTR5.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated. I use Spotify highest quality + Local FLAC files on Mac OS (APTX) and on the Mobile I've got an Android (APTX-HD).

Thanks, in advance.

And @14christ - I read all your past posts on ear tips - you probably have + 20 different tips, or more, much more, you've probably one of the few that has tried such a wholesome variety and posted experience on them.

I'm down to the following but ain't going to buy all, for now. Don't want to spend + 100 bucks in one day only for ear tips (you've probably spent upwards 250 on ear tips alone. If you could order them from best to worst I've got the OG MEST - you have MKII but I guess it's the same in terms of the ear tip experience or so I would like to believe.

Or anyone that'll like to post their order - to increase my overall experience with the OG MEST.

1) Spinfit CP 240 Double Flange
2) Spinfit CP1025
3) Azla Crystal
4) Azla Short or the Light-Short
5) EPRO EP01
6) Symbio W (Foam + Silicone)
7) Comply Comfort TSX500 (Are the foam ones included, but mines already disintegrated, very short life for these foams.
8) Whizzer SS20

Thanks in advance dudes, appreciate it.

And one last thing guys - not shure about cables - I've been taking a deep dive on forums - a vast majority say that it's only the looks. That a cable cannot change sound-signature - stage - and more. So I'm confused when people review cables and say it changes signature. What's the take on this?

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #5,046 of 7,306
Hey guys, so I own MEST OG (which I love more every single day +1,200 hours) - with Stock cable. I own the Fiio BTR5 and is my main DAC/AMP combo. I am considering upgrading the Fiio BTR5 to the W2.

Would I really notice any difference soundwise? Who has this pairing MEST (MKI or MKII) and the W2 and has had the Fiio BTR5.

Not sure the +200 dollar investment ( + sell the Fiio and get the W2) is really going to imporove or differentiate the sound signature. And if so, is it better overall? Have +1,200 or closer to probably 1,500 hours on this setup and has served me excellently well. No complaints, no white-noise or any other noise filtration. Just pure good sound. But I am doubtful if a different source (really portable such as the one I've got or dongle or W2) will improve my experience with these great IEM's. I'm always on the move - be it Library - Office - Home and like the portability and easiness of use of the BTR5.

Any opinion is greatly appreciated. I use Spotify highest quality + Local FLAC files on Mac OS (APTX) and on the Mobile I've got an Android (APTX-HD).

Thanks, in advance.

And @14christ - I read all your past posts on ear tips - you probably have + 20 different tips, or more, much more, you've probably one of the few that has tried such a wholesome variety and posted experience on them.

I'm down to the following but ain't going to buy all, for now. Don't want to spend + 100 bucks in one day only for ear tips (you've probably spent upwards 250 on ear tips alone. If you could order them from best to worst I've got the OG MEST - you have MKII but I guess it's the same in terms of the ear tip experience or so I would like to believe.

Or anyone that'll like to post their order - to increase my overall experience with the OG MEST.

1) Spinfit CP 240 Double Flange
2) Spinfit CP1025
3) Azla Crystal
4) Azla Short or the Light-Short
5) EPRO EP01
6) Symbio W (Foam + Silicone)
7) Comply Comfort TSX500 (Are the foam ones included, but mines already disintegrated, very short life for these foams.
8) Whizzer SS20

Thanks in advance dudes, appreciate it.

And one last thing guys - not shure about cables - I've been taking a deep dive on forums - a vast majority say that it's only the looks. That a cable cannot change sound-signature - stage - and more. So I'm confused when people review cables and say it changes signature. What's the take on this?
Cp240 is my go to in small or medium size.

Do not focus on cables right now. Your biggest hurdle is source. I would say hold off on the w2 and save for something like dx240 etc...

Cables are for fine tuning once your source is no longer the bottleneck.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #5,047 of 7,306
Cp240 is my go to in small or medium size.

Do not focus on cables right now. Your biggest hurdle is source. I would say hold off on the w2 and save for something like dx240 etc...

Cables are for fine tuning once your source is no longer the bottleneck.
Thanks for the prompt response. I'll get the CP240. And want to get a pair with a wider bore so if you could recommend one of these, which one would you choose (Azla Short vs Spinfit CP1025 vs EPRO EP01 ).

As for the source, I don't want to go full size device, for two reasons. The primary is that I only own the MEST - and do not have several IEM's like the majority of the guys here at the Forum, so going full device only having a pair of IEM's well, not really for me and second I want something with a small form factor I want something that'll handle my music via bluetooth (I know this decreases quality) but really want a small device.

OG MEST is TOFTL for me, as for now. Will consider EVO at a later stage.

Any advice? Hence the option for W2 and my current BTR5.

And thank you all, I've been able to learn so much about the hobby in this single 337 page thread.

All the best,

All advices warmly received, want to keep learning.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 6:51 PM Post #5,048 of 7,306
As for the source, I don't want to go full size device, for two reasons. The primary is that I only own the MEST - and do not have several IEM's like the majority of the guys here at the Forum, so going full device only having a pair of IEM's well, not really for me and second I want something with a small form factor I want something that'll handle my music via bluetooth (I know this decreases quality) but really want a small device.

If your after small form factor you could go to a Hiby R5 Saber. I've owned it and it's a great little dap. I say little because it is very compact. Easily pocketable. 4" screen and as tall as the W2. I've owned both and prefer the Hiby over the W2.

Hiby has more authority, weight, power, soundstage, more air, etc... You can usually find the Hibys on the forum used for around 250. It's a great first dap and has everything your looking for IMO.

But if your dead set on dongles then I've been hearing a lot of good thing on the RU6. Haven't listened to it personally but Cayin is an excellent brand and usually has good house sound across their models.

Oh and as for the wide bore tips, I always preferred EPRO01. They treated me well in the past.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #5,049 of 7,306
If your after small form factor you could go to a Hiby R5 Saber. I've owned it and it's a great little dap. I say little because it is very compact. Easily pocketable. 4" screen and as tall as the W2. I've owned both and prefer the Hiby over the W2.

Hiby has more authority, weight, power, soundstage, more air, etc... You can usually find the Hibys on the forum used for around 250. It's a great first dap and has everything your looking for IMO.

But if your dead set on dongles then I've been hearing a lot of good thing on the RU6. Haven't listened to it personally but Cayin is an excellent brand and usually has good house sound across their models.

Oh and as for the wide bore tips, I always preferred EPRO01. They treated me well in the past.
@14christ

Many thanks on the response, appreciate it. Will read in depth on the recommendations and take a decision. And will get the EPRO01 and the CP240's to add to the tips for the MEST.

All the best,
Rizzoli

Jan 19, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #5,050 of 7,306

i have more question can you give a picture which area should contact with our ear so the BCD do the job?

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #5,051 of 7,306
@14christ

Many thanks on the response, appreciate it. Will read in depth on the recommendations and take a decision. And will get the EPRO01 and the CP240's to add to the tips for the MEST.

All the best,
Rizzoli

I 2nd the epro 01 there 2 version get the ep01 it has a wider bore than the ep00.
https://www.amazon.com/Patented-Hor...42655512&sprefix=epro+horn,aps,72&sr=8-1&th=1

I also kinda agree with passing on the W2 it’s a great sounding device and loved the little guy till I upgraded. It does depends on what you can afford dap wise. I would trying to hold off till can least afford something in the midrange price.
Shameless plug, just reread your early posts if you decide on going with the W2 let me know thinking about selling mine just haven’t got around to taking pic and listing it. With the Mest it sounds really good it just didn’t work out with iPhone 12 mini as planned. That and some other factor made a dap a better choice for me.

I upgraded to the shingling M6 pro 21 and super happy with the sound quality with it. Shanling house sound hits the spot for me.
If you do go the dongle route Shanling has also just announced there new dongle.

The mest mkii has been my best investment into this hobby they sound good with most source, they scale up to with the better source you get.

If I was in your shoes I wouldn’t rush to upgrade everything at once. Whatever you use as a source is going sound great with the mest. Research and wait on sales musicteck normally has good sales and excellent service. They should be having a Valentine’s sale.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #5,052 of 7,306
@Ufranco Thanks Man, for sure, then I'll wait and buy a full device then. Expected to spend from 250-350, not spending more than 1/3 of what the MEST cost me. But I've always loved playing music through the BTR5, such a convenience when using multiple devices Ipad - Macbook - Android Phone such a hassle free experience. But I get it, if I want to get the best experience I need an inline device (DAC/AMP) to really get the ultimate experience out of this pretty nice set of IEM's.

Thanks again,
Rizzoli

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #5,053 of 7,306
@Ufranco Thanks Man, for sure, then I'll wait and buy a full device then. Expected to spend from 250-350, not spending more than 1/3 of what the MEST cost me. But I've always loved playing music through the BTR5, such a convenience when using multiple devices Ipad - Macbook - Android Phone such a hassle free experience. But I get it, if I want to get the best experience I need an inline device (DAC/AMP) to really get the ultimate experience out of this pretty nice set of IEM's.

Thanks again,
Rizzoli
With the BTR5 are you running 2.5 balanced or 3.5 unbalanced?

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:44 AM Post #5,054 of 7,306
After a lot of tip rolling (Azla Xelastec/Crystal, Epro EP01/EP00/TW01, Spinfit CP360, UM stock tips,…), I find the Epro TW01 size S the best choice for me with the Mest mkII. Wide bore, very comfortable and the short length allows for deep insertion to maximize the BCD.

Jan 21, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #5,055 of 7,306
Thanks for the prompt response. I'll get the CP240. And want to get a pair with a wider bore so if you could recommend one of these, which one would you choose (Azla Short vs Spinfit CP1025 vs EPRO EP01 ).

OG MEST is TOFTL for me, as for now. Will consider EVO at a later stage.

And thank you all, I've been able to learn so much about the hobby in this single 337 page thread.

All the best,

All advices warmly received, want to keep learning.
I would recommend that you consider W2, S2 and RU6. My favorite is RU6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back