Unique Melody Merlin - 5 Driver Custom Hybrid - Quad BA + DYNAMIC Driver
May 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #346 of 400
No offense, wait. No actually, I am saying this with all intent of offending someone, since there's no other way. But if somebody actually got affected enough by a FORUM to break into tears, I mean, wow, just wow. It's just an IEM, and it's just faceless people whose opinions shouldn't even matter. Who defines your world? You, or some random writing on the internet? Sheesh.

I'm a Beats lover and I am nowhere near close to letting my emotions get roiled about by all the infantile product bullying the Beats get here.

Quote:

No worries, but how would you feel if you were to find out that your comments had actually reduced a head-fier to tears?  I'm not going to say who, but I have it on good authority that some of these negative comments have caused this head-fier serious emotional distress to the point of tears.  As a result, I feel there should be new rules against any type of product-bullying.  

Jun 3, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #347 of 400
Project86, how would you describe the difference between Merlin v1 and miracle? Is Merlin similar sound signature but more emphasis on bass? Or totally different sound altogether?

Jun 4, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #348 of 400

Quote:
Project86, how would you describe the difference between Merlin v1 and miracle? Is Merlin similar sound signature but more emphasis on bass? Or totally different sound altogether?

That's a good question, and it would take a really long post to give a thorough reply. I'll cover all that when I do my actual write-up of the final Merlin. But to give a quick sneak-peak answer: The general sound signature is similar enough. It's clear that they come from the same family. The Merlin has some more bass emphasis although honestly it is not a ton more on my version. I suspect that's why they wanted to increase it, in order to have more differentiation between the two models.

There are other little differences though; I think the Merlin might have a little more "sweetness" in the mids, just a touch of emphasis there. I also think it might be more smooth overall. The Miracle, in contrast, is more neutral and supremely detailed. But these are very small differences and since I don't have the Miracle to directly compare I can't even be certain about them. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #349 of 400
just wondering, how long did your (you all) merlin to arrive at ur doorstep?

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #353 of 400
UM is in China, right?  It's not like they can help that it takes a long time for everything to ship overseas (at least for most of us).  They'll have a longer turn-around time based solely on shipping time and time for packages to get through customs.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #354 of 400
wow the retuned merlin sounds so diff! so far loving the new sound even more. imo the sub bass has improved as compared to the first version. shall listen more before i say anything

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #355 of 400
Glad you are enjoying them!

Guys we have had a slight delay on the Merlin's due to a last minute tweak in the crossover.  That being said, we have pretty much caught up and are back on track. 

Please also remember one thing also, we aim to deliver within a 4-6week turn around once your impressions arrive at UMLab.  There have been cases of USPS taking up to 4 weeks to deliver your impressions, so please remember to factor this in.  If you liase with your representative they will easily be able to tell you when your impressions arrived at UMLab and hence your projected turn around time.

This is why we at UMAus use, and also recommend that you utilise a fast, expensive, trackable and insurable courier service to minimise your turnaround time.

Jun 9, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #356 of 400
@@ I CANT WAIT FOR MY MERLIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #358 of 400
Finally...got my Merlin today! 
Pics:

FR curve. (It takes forever to get this one on focus...guess I'll have to replace my sub $100 camera someday)

The vent. I can pretty much see the BA drivers and wires inside.

The dynamic driver.

The crossover circuit. Looks like capacitor bandpass filter design.

Since I've just had been listening to these for merely 6 hours, guess I could only give some general ideas...ehh, *initial impressions* in other words. So here it goes.
My setup: iPod touch 4G 320k mp3/apple lossless/256k m4a files ->TWag LOD -> pico slim -> TWag'd Merlin

Build Quality -- As many people have said here, excellent is the word to describe it. My only concern is the vent, as you can see in the pics, what long term effects could there be when the wires are always exposed to outside air? Only time will tell...anyway UM's got me covered with the 2year warranty.

Isolation -- Originally I planned the test this in probably the most noisy environment you can find -- the last few rows of a DC-9 jet. If you have ever been sitting (unluckily) there, you know what I'm talking about.Since the shipping is delayed, I ended up with a last minute seat change. And today, I took a short ride in NYC subway. The average isolation of the Merlin seems to be nearly as good as my ES3, definitely better than tf10s.  I could barely hear the train coming, nor could I hear anyone talking. I used the word 'average' because there is one exception, that is, when there's wind blowing, you ARE going to hear that. For example, when the train comes, I couldn't hear its wheels colliding the track, which is the main source of the noise, but I could hear the wind when it passes me.

Soundstage -- I was expecting a lot of bass emphasis when I first listen to the Merlin. But the first and most obvious WOW factor I hear was the expanded soundstage. This is pretty obvious with normal tracks. And what's more, I happen to have the STAX dummy head recording album (wiki), which I've tried it with every headphones I've owned (I wish I could find it on u2b or something...unfortunately no). The track is basically you, as the dummy head, sitting in the middle of a room, and the other 2 guys walking around the room while telling you where they are. Merlin is the best performing iem I've heard on this so far. The room feels larger, and when the guys tell you they are two meters in front of you, the sound comes from exactly the same place. Most headphones could handle left and right side pretty well, but the Merlin is one of the few which could present front and back pretty accurately. 

Lows: This is totally just feelings here because I do believe the dynamic driver would need some burn-in time to reach its optimum performance. Right now the bass is heavy hitting -- thunderous in fact. But in some tracks the drums are overwhelming and can mask the sub mids a little. The extension is exceptional for most of the time, however the decay and speed is not as good, sometimes it gives me a 'muddy' feeling in the sound. This shouldn't be a problem, as most dynamic headphones I've heard had the same problem at first and had improved over time. In addition, the dynamic feeling is great. I can certainly feel the air 'moving' in my ears, and this is by far the most impressive part on the low end.

Mids -- This is the part where the Merlin is just doing its job. I found nothing surprising here by now. The details are very nice, I could not only hear the singers singing, but also how they sing -- every breath is audible as long as it's present in the recording. But I do find the vocals from my dated ES3 more rich and lively, especially when sometimes the heavy bass from Merlin masked some vocal. Well this probably just means the two have different sounds and I'm just biased to the familiar one. 

Highs -- This is where the UM sound signature comes in. When I was reading reviews, I was wondering what exactly this 'sound signature' everyone talked about was. Just some minutes into listening some guitar and piano solos I understood it all. It's very detailed, yet a little laid back, not distracting at all. I don't want to retype what people have said here, yet I think you have to hear it by yourself to totally get how it sounds.

Back in April when I was looking for a new pair of iems, i wanted something that is 'different'. On this prospective, the Merlin reaches all my expectations. It's not as neutral as some reference iems, such as my ES3, but it gives me a lot of fun to listen to.
Alright, this is the first 'review' stuff from a lurker natured person here. Hope this could do some help.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #359 of 400
Nice impressions. I'm leaning even more towards the Merlins. If there only where someone with the Merlins, Atrio customs and Atrio universals to compare them all... Well, maybe someday average_joe will have them all :wink:

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:38 AM Post #360 of 400

Quote:
Finally...got my Merlin today! 

Looking on the graph my initate thought was this 6kHz will cause silibiants. However you said "UMs' trebles" So there should be no silibiants at all. Could you please cover that?

Stunning finishing, faceplate and artwork "as always"

Could you please elaborate mids some more? By the graph I'd say they are recessed... Especially 500-800Hz region

Users who are viewing this thread

Back