Unique Melody Merlin - 5 Driver Custom Hybrid - Quad BA + DYNAMIC Driver
Jun 28, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #362 of 400

The Merlins are utterly smooth and there is no sibilance. That spike in the treble 6k region is deceptive; it's a smooth emphasis that gives that bright airy feeling to the UM sound, but it's not a grating or harsh treble at all. 

Regarding the mids, they are unbelievably liquid and smooth. Effortless is the way I'd describe them, and yes they are sort of laidback (which is how I like them). These are not a forward or aggressive IEM.

Quote:
Looking on the graph my initate thought was this 6kHz will cause silibiants. However you said "UMs' trebles" So there should be no silibiants at all. Could you please cover that?

Stunning finishing, faceplate and artwork "as always"

Could you please elaborate mids some more? By the graph I'd say they are recessed... Especially 500-800Hz region

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #363 of 400

Quote:
The Merlins are utterly smooth and there is no sibilance. That spike in the treble 6k region is deceptive; it's a smooth emphasis that gives that bright airy feeling to the UM sound, but it's not a grating or harsh treble at all. 

Regarding the mids, they are unbelievably liquid and smooth. Effortless is the way I'd describe them, and yes they are sort of laidback (which is how I like them). These are not a forward or aggressive IEM.

Yeah, I know UM trebles cause my IEMs has the same peak but in different region. But if you say so, then ok.

Are mids especially vocals se530 liquid and smooth or rather TF10 alike?

Oh btw. One of these photos shows BA drivers. Is this dual TWFK design?

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #364 of 400

Quote:
Yeah, I know UM trebles cause my IEMs has the same peak but in different region. But if you say so, then ok.

There's no audible sibilance, at least I don't hear any at all for now. I guess it's just the log scale y-axis that makes the FR graph looks like a spike. The spike spans across a ~5kHz region if you look at the graph. That would look pretty smooth if it's in the same scale as the 200~1kHz region.

I find it hard to give an accurate evaluation about the mids now. What I can say is, it sounds totally different from my TF10s. I never had the 'recessed' feeling which I had with the TF10s. It's not forwarded neither. Just in the spot.

For the BA drivers, it's actually quad TWFK. Two for the mids and two for the highs, imho.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #365 of 400

Quote:
Nice impressions. I'm leaning even more towards the Merlins. If there only where someone with the Merlins, Atrio customs and Atrio universals to compare them all... Well, maybe someday average_joe will have them all :wink:

If you look at the review list on my thread you will see Kunlun is scheduled to hear the Merlin demos.  You will have your answer then.

Jun 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #366 of 400

Quote:
For the BA drivers, it's actually quad TWFK. Two for the mids and two for the highs, imho.

Minor correction - TWFK is a dual driver unit. So quad TWFK would be a total of 8 drivers. Dual TWFK is the correct term, and yes that's what Merlin uses as far as I can tell. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #367 of 400

Quote:
There's no audible sibilance, at least I don't hear any at all for now. I guess it's just the log scale y-axis that makes the FR graph looks like a spike. The spike spans across a ~5kHz region if you look at the graph. That would look pretty smooth if it's in the same scale as the 200~1kHz region.

I find it hard to give an accurate evaluation about the mids now. What I can say is, it sounds totally different from my TF10s. I never had the 'recessed' feeling which I had with the TF10s. It's not forwarded neither. Just in the spot.

Thanks for reply!
So basically Merlin is Westone ES5 (theoretical) with dynamic low driver instead of CI. Nice.

Maybe in future ... curse you head-fi! :D

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #369 of 400
@Anaxilus - great to hear that. Looking very much to the impressions. Damn, my wallet won't like the end of the year :wink:

Jun 29, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #370 of 400

Quote:
If you look at the review list on my thread you will see Kunlun is scheduled to hear the Merlin demos.  You will have your answer then.

K2: Judgement Day

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #371 of 400
All set
popcorn.gif

Jun 30, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #372 of 400
Subscribed. Looking forward to reviews of this IEM.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:12 AM Post #373 of 400

Quote:

The mids of the SE530 honestly don't even begin to compare. They are not TF10-like at all either. Like I said, they mids are unbelievably liquid, completely effortless. The music was like water gushing out of the Merlins and rushing into my ears. 

I am not sure what TWFK means, but as mentioned it is two mid BAs + two high BAs + one dynamic bass driver per ear (total of 5 drivers per ear). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back