Unique Melody Merlin - 5 Driver Custom Hybrid - Quad BA + DYNAMIC Driver
May 4, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #316 of 400

Quote:

No worries, but how would you feel if you were to find out that your comments had actually reduced a head-fier to tears?  I'm not going to say who, but I have it on good authority that some of these negative comments have caused this head-fier serious emotional distress to the point of tears.  As a result, I feel there should be new rules against any type of product-bullying.  

The folks (Just my opinion) that should be reduced to tears is the developers of these custom products. I mean really, a lot of time, effort and money goes in to these things, products that are ultimately reviewed subjectively. (scarry stuff really)  Imagine sinking thousands of dollars, in to opening a company like 1964 Ears, and then get "not so stellar" comments about their products placed on a web site that gets as much "traffic" as this one.....   Painful, I would imagine.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
May 4, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #317 of 400
It doesn't matter how good something is.  There will always be haters.  I think the converse is also true most of the time as well.

May 4, 2011 at 5:19 PM Post #318 of 400
There will always be flaws, audio perfection is a myth on a universal level. Thus some will like it and some will not, live with it, same thing applies for a lot of things in life. 

May 4, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #319 of 400
Dying to hear more reviews. Isolation doesn't bother me THAT much because even single-flange tips give me acceptable isolation in most circumstances, and I realise there's no perfect IEM, custom or otherwise. However the Merlin seems like it should tick the majority of the boxes for me, and unlike Parrots of Average_Joe, I doubt I'll be in a position to be buying multiple customs any time soon so I need to choose well first time round! 

May 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #322 of 400
I wonder if the isolation is similar or worse to the ie8's.  I know I used my ie8's on a plane without complaining about the isolation.  Then again an open iem may not be for everyone =)

May 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #323 of 400
OK I know I originally said that my Merlins didn't seem to leak sound.... as mentioned by my family members in the same room as me while I listened. But I've double checked using my phone to record video/audio as I listend in a quiet room. And I can hear a little sound leakage. Turns out my wife is so accustomed to tuning out the sound of our kids in the background, that she was an unreliable test.

It's not a ton of leakage though. Not anywhere near as bad as an open phone like Grado or K702 for example. To me it seems more similar to a closed phone that doesn't isolate super well. Like the Audio Technica W series woodies for example. Or similar to using earbuds. Some sound leaks depending on how loud you play it, but it is not overwhelming to others in the room. In places like buses or airplanes, I can't imagine it really bothering other people... maybe the person sitting directly next to you.

Still, it is a different experience compared to what customs are normally like. For me it is clearly worth the sacrifice for the amazing sound quality. 

May 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #324 of 400

Quote:
I can't seem to decide if I should buy these or not, I still have the demo and loving how they sound but the only problem I have with the is how much sound they are leaking through the vents which is a lot and a person next to you can clearly hear the music, I put blutack on the bored to cover them and was amazed at how much was coming out that tiny hole even at medium listening levelsowns got the same results when I got my mate to wear them with music playing so I'm not sure if I want to buy a custom with which everyone can hear what I'm listening as I mostly use my customs at work or while I'm out but apart from that these sound great.

Seeing as you currently have both, how do you feel the low end compares to your JH16s? Since they're seen as the kings of BA driver bass (4 drivers per ear for bass isn't it!?), I'm definitely curious to see how a single dynamic driver compares.

May 14, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #326 of 400
ok erm when you all tape the vents(no bluetack plz looks downright wierd when your outside, like seriously, hearing aids look bad enough but with blue tack on them? LOL) how is the SQ affected, SQ is of course the number one priority so if the taping only reduces some of the bass which they added on their final version i think it would be fine! or maybe we should ask UM to create a plug for the vent just for testing purposes.
im from singapore so they will arrive somewhat later maybe a week or two before i finally get to demo them.

May 14, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #329 of 400

Quote:
The demo set for Singapore is really slow!! Can't wait to audition it =(  The price is very tempting!

Yea the demo's are going extremely slow, don't even know if anyone has gotten to try these yet. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back