Unique Melody Merlin - 5 Driver Custom Hybrid - Quad BA + DYNAMIC Driver
Apr 8, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #106 of 400

Quote:
Looking at the Merlin's graph, it seems like that's a pretty big spike around 7K. I hope they don't prove out to be harsh/sibilant. The JH13 looks to have a similar bump, but it doesn't peak as high. Initial impressions will be telling I guess....

If you look at a graph of the UM Miracle it has that same bump (they are nearly identical which could mean they use the same drivers).  From the reviews I've read on the Miracle, it doesn't seem like sibilance is really an issue. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #107 of 400

Quote:
If you look at a graph of the UM Miracle it has that same bump (they are nearly identical which could mean they use the same drivers).  From the reviews I've read on the Miracle, it doesn't seem like sibilance is really an issue. 

Because they DO use the same driver, as well as mage. I have the same peak in my customs.
It's just typical for TWFK driver
The same thing happens to CK10, UE700, q-jays and ADDIEM, W3, UM3x and probably W4 as well.
6-8kHz spike doesn't sound sibiliant however it does brighten up the sound a little and gives an edge to treble.
I must admit that it seems UM really like the sound of TWFK driver, which they prefer as a tweeter and it's UM treble's "house sound" already.

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #108 of 400

Quote:

Good to know, thanks... because I really don't get along well with treble harshness or sibilance. 

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #109 of 400
You need to keep in mind that those FR graphs are not "corrected" for DF EQ like the Headroom ones are.  Look at the raw data (lower curves) that Tyll has up on his new site.

Apr 14, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #113 of 400
I don't think there is anything to bump at this point, because nobody has them yet. My pair are being built and then need to ship, so I probably won't see them until next week at the very earliest. I'll post pics as soon as I receive them. Poetik should also get his demo pair around the same time. I believe there will be lots of people in the demo program so you'll have all kinds of opinions to look at, but it will take some time.

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #114 of 400
Can't wait to read first impressions coming in....

Apr 14, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #115 of 400
Anyone in Melbourne, Australia that wants to have a listen, we (Unique Melody Australia) can organise a small lunch in the CBD with our Merlin (Hybrid), Mage (Four), Marvel (Two) universal demo's present for next week.. Unfortunately Miracle demo's are on hold and the Aero will be out of town again.

Apr 14, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #116 of 400
Send a rep to the USA please, the midwest more specifically! I wish I could come take a demo listen.....

Apr 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #118 of 400
Ahhhh, many thanks... will do just that! 

Apr 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #119 of 400
Latest news: My Merlins are done and shipped! Fedex says they should arrive on Tuesday or so. That's right around the same time as my Beat Audio cables are coming, so it should be a fun week. 

I'll make sure to post pics as soon as possible. I got clear with light blue face plates and the small "unique melody" logo. So basically like the pictures we've seen of the Merlin but with blue instead of green. The clear should allow good visibility for the drivers. I can't wait. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back