Unique Melody Merlin - 5 Driver Custom Hybrid - Quad BA + DYNAMIC Driver
Apr 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #211 of 400

Quote:
Aren't the Future Sonics MG6Pros vented as well? Does anyone know how they isolate, comparatively speaking? (Kunlun?)

Read my review again for more info about the MG6Pro. I'll do a comparison when I hear the demo merlin.

For now, the MG6Pro is marketed to professional musicians, so the vent is located next to the driver for the best sound.
The merlin is marketed to non-professionals, so the vent is moved away from the driver so artwork can be put on the faceplate.
So, different priorities for different audiences.

Let's keep this thread to comments about the merlin.
People who want to reply to me can do so by pm, please.

Apr 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #212 of 400

Read my review again for more info about the MG6Pro. I'll do a comparison when I hear the demo merlin.

For now, the MG6Pro is marketed to professional musicians, so the vent is located next to the driver for the best sound.
The merlin is marketed to non-professionals, so the vent is moved away from the driver so artwork can be put on the faceplate.
So, different priorities for different audiences.

Let's keep this thread to comments about the merlin.
People who want to reply to me can do so by pm, please.

That's an interesting difference between the two customs. I find myself generally preferring the sound of dynamic drivers over BA, so to me the FS MG6Pro is worth thinking about when discussing the Merlins. So far, I like what I'm hearing about the Merlins and the set that Project86 has look awesome.

Project86, do you know how long it will be till your 2nd set arrives for comparison?

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #213 of 400

Quote:

Project86, do you know how long it will be till your 2nd set arrives for comparison?

No, I don't have any idea yet. Hopefully soon though. I know UM is really busy with orders lately, which is partly the reason why the Merlin took this long in the first place (it was originally supposed to come out around December but kept getting delayed). But I hope they get mine out soon as well as the other demo models that will be going around. 

I too am interested in the comparison with the MG6Pro. Obviously each model has a different focus and will have their own strengths and weaknesses. And I don't want to turn this into a specific "Merlin versus MG6Pro" type of debate. But Kunlun will be the first person (that I'm aware of) to compare them and give us an idea of which one will be a better fit for each type of listener. 

Apr 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #214 of 400

Quote:
No, I don't have any idea yet. Hopefully soon though. I know UM is really busy with orders lately, which is partly the reason why the Merlin took this long in the first place (it was originally supposed to come out around December but kept getting delayed). But I hope they get mine out soon as well as the other demo models that will be going around. 

I too am interested in the comparison with the MG6Pro. Obviously each model has a different focus and will have their own strengths and weaknesses. And I don't want to turn this into a specific "Merlin versus MG6Pro" type of debate. But Kunlun will be the first person (that I'm aware of) to compare them and give us an idea of which one will be a better fit for each type of listener. 

I'll certainly listen with open ears and mind and give full disclosure on the fact that it'll be demo versus custom, my biases for sound, etc. With that in mind, it should be interesting.

I would like to hear more from you and Parrots how the merlin matches up against the miracle, as well as jha and westone customs, once you have had more time to listen.

Apr 24, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #215 of 400
@Saintkeat, I was in PlazaSing Stereo yesterday to inquire about UM Merlin and end-up auditioning UM's Miracle, Mage and Aero. They said they returned their Merlin or they are still waiting since they wanted to have the final version of it. My impression of UM Miracle was excellent, I haven't compared them up yet to my JH16 , but I think I preferred the UM customs more. From all the UM customs I auditioned, UM Miracle, 6 drivers, have wowed me as with its instrument separation and soundstage and overall tonality. Treble is very well-extended and smooth. I remembered my DBA-02s in terms of clarity. So far that's only my 15mins audition.

Quote:
give it up boys. Its inevitable.

I'd say more power to people who find that the merlin sounds so good, a little loss in isolation is an affordable sacrifice.

Hey UM reps when would Singapore have a demo unit at Stereo?

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #217 of 400
I guess that's up to you to choose. no worries.

Haven't heard the UM Merlin yet so I am still deciding which is my next custom: UM Miracle vs UM Merlin vs Westone ES5

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #219 of 400
eek.gif
...Oh man, I must hear ES5, where did you audition them here?

I think imo UM Merlin will not be on the same level with ES5, since I read from the ES5 appreciation that they are mid-forward, smooth extended treble, and with the right qty of bass. UM Merlin has a dynamic-driver bass which is for me better than the BA-driver for bass. Different presentation, different flavor.

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #220 of 400
don't speculate. don't even attempt to have an opinon. just try it and see where that goes.

I heard the ES5 from another head-fier, who met me up for coffee and I took my time having a good listen and paired it with his twag cable and had another listen.. his ears were smaller than mine so they fit right in.. I had to use my palms to increase the isolation and it was good.

I think I'm looking for that custom inbetween the jh16 and es5. Merlin could be it =D

Apr 25, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #221 of 400
That's my problem on the ES5, since I don't have any clues where to try them here. Once, I ask them on Jaben, they call it "Leap of Faith". And I don't normally do that, I want to try them first before buying them.

And also I don't normally do comparisons on heresay or on what I read on the forums, I still trust my ears. Not that I don't trust the reviewers, but because IMO we have different ears and tastes or preferences.

Luckily, UM have their Universals here so they have no problem with me. And so far, they did not disappoint me with their products.

Apr 25, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #222 of 400
Drop Westone USA an e-mail stating that you'd like to audition an ES5 demo unit at Jaben, that's what I did to audition one here in Sweden. If Jaben retails the ES5 this shouldn't be a problem, sometimes the shopkeepers just don't know they can ask for a demo unit to be shipped out to the store.

Quote:
That's my problem on the ES5, since I don't have any clues where to try them here. Once, I ask them on Jaben, they call it "Leap of Faith". And I don't normally do that, I want to try them first before buying them.

And also I don't normally do comparisons on heresay or on what I read on the forums, I still trust my ears. Not that I don't trust the reviewers, but because IMO we have different ears and tastes or preferences.

Luckily, UM have their Universals here so they have no problem with me. And so far, they did not disappoint me with their products.

Apr 25, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #224 of 400

Quote:
I would like to hear more from you and Parrots how the merlin matches up against the miracle, as well as jha and westone customs, once you have had more time to listen.

For sure. 

Quote:
HAH kingice if you read my posts earlier you'd have seen that I said if the merlin sounds anything like the miracle I'm not interested. I'm not a fan of neutrality.

I think this is exactly why the final adjustment was needed.... my current Merlin would probably not be quite warm enough for someone like you. I bet you'd like it if you heard it, and respect what they did, but wouldn't choose to actually buy it. 

Quote:
Drop Westone USA an e-mail stating that you'd like to audition an ES5 demo unit at Jaben, that's what I did to audition one here in Sweden. If Jaben retails the ES5 this shouldn't be a problem, sometimes the shopkeepers just don't know they can ask for a demo unit to be shipped out to the store.

Excellent advise!

Apr 25, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #225 of 400
interesting... you think I wouldn't like it enough to buy it?

If it does sit right in the middle between westone and JH I would actually buy it.

Unless it lacks the warmness JH has and still sounds too clinical then I guess I have to go with the JH route.

Hopefully it won't be like an iBasso vs RSA difference =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back