Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Dec 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #706 of 850
I wonder if they can handle the mentors. Mine are hyper sensitive to the point of picking up noise from every source I plug it into (e07k, e18, htc m8, aune t1, lyr + odac). I might start looking into DAPs with a very low noise floor.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #708 of 850
You didn't buy that amp to used exclusively with the Mentors, did you?

my favorite atm the Mentor ,so lets say yes, also i am getting more CIEMs in the future, NT6 Pro or Harmony 8 Pro

also HE-6 as a full size can which the Ragna can drive, but that later when i move out from this place ^^

the ragnarok is a good final amp, now i won't worry about getting any new amp for ages .

oh i use my CIEMs in my room, not portable, so for me CIEM / Full Size can , doesn't matter, as long as they are epic and give me a high end sound. 

btw i sold the TH900 twice , the Mentor and other TOTL CIEMs are more epic than what you think. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #709 of 850
my favorite atm the Mentor ,so lets say yes, also i am getting more CIEMs in the future, NT6 Pro or Harmony 8 Pro

also HE-6 as a full size can which the Ragna can drive, but that later when i move out from this place ^^

the ragnarok is a good final amp, now i won't worry about getting any new amp for ages .

oh i use my CIEMs in my room, not portable, so for me CIEM / Full Size can , doesn't matter, as long as they are epic and give me a high end sound. 

btw i sold the TH900 twice , the Mentor and other TOTL CIEMs are more epic than what you think. 

I prefer big headphones to IEMs, but I'm not getting the time I'd like with my desktop system in order to justify the expenditure. The best IEM I heard was the SE846. I'm torn between the K10 and Mentor as my first CIEM, but am leaning towards the Mentor because it's more readily available in my country. The TH900 is great. Do you really think you can get comparable sound from an IEM?

Jan 6, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #710 of 850
I prefer big headphones to IEMs, but I'm not getting the time I'd like with my desktop system in order to justify the expenditure. The best IEM I heard was the SE846. I'm torn between the K10 and Mentor as my first CIEM, but am leaning towards the Mentor because it's more readily available in my country. The TH900 is great. Do you really think you can get comparable sound from an IEM?

Have you managed to audition the Mentor and/or the K10?

Jan 7, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #711 of 850

if you want something that will beat the TH900 , then tell Peter from the Custom Art to adjust something for you, he made me a 10 drivers CIEM with more enjoyable bass and treble than the TH900 , he made the Treble extended and the bass fun, with a sweet mids as well, the sound sig were also U but it was the best when it came to fun, (for more info seek my Anzu's review)

i would recommend the NT6 pro but i didn't try it, oh i had Silver Widow cable btw, i am sure the stock cable won't bring the CIEM the justice.

Jan 22, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #712 of 850
man the X-Sabre as a high end DAC got one major problem, the warmth on it , its the kind of dry warmth, not wet musical warmth, which i really dislike, a lot of high end DACs that have the same sound sig tend to have the same problem

so basically i didn't like it with the Ragnarok , only the Master 9 were able to change that due the M9 being the #1 transparent amp, which also learn toward being warm a little, but we can't call it a warm amp,

oh any other warm amp would solve that for the X-Sabre but i tend to like Neutral + Musical & Transparent setups but not warm.

i am going to get a Chord Hugo again, for the DAC mainly and for portability later, i used to have one but didn't try it with the Mentor,

my mentor is getting re-shelled for now cause i didn't change my impressions since two years lol.....  but by the time its here my Chord Hugo will be here, i will order one later and use fedex to send it asap.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #713 of 850
I've ruled out the Mentor on the basis of limited feedback. I'm having impressions taken on Monday morning and it'll probably be the K10 for me. Can anyone persuade me otherwise?

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #714 of 850
I've ruled out the Mentor on the basis of limited feedback. I'm having impressions taken on Monday morning and it'll probably be the K10 for me. Can anyone persuade me otherwise?

i think most of the owner of Mentor is silently enjoying their Mentor like me.. :p

you should have try audition both of them before you decide :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #715 of 850
  i think most of the owner of Mentor is silently enjoying their Mentor like me.. :p

you should have try audition both of them before you decide :)

+1
it got the sound sig that i love, and ofc i would like to have other CIEMs for different sound sig to use depend on the mood, there is no headphone/ciem that will do all, a head-fier will need more options in the end, in case he want to enjoy everything, still if i had to choose just one CIEM, it will be the Mentor, but why choose when you can buy later :p 

for K10 and Mentor

if you want organic musical sound sig, Neutral that is warmer than other TOTL CIEMs and don't want a Treble to have a lot or Quantity/Brightness (now worries its extended) then the K10 is what you should go for.

if you wan't a Neutral with a hint of warmth, fun Treble and more dynamic, which still have  a very good mid density then the Mentor it is.

direct compassion, the K10 have more mid density / thicker mids, but less treble quantity yet slightly higher treble extension than the Mentor.
bass wise the K10 rumble more, its an obvious result when we look at its Treble :p

you can check this legendary chart for extra info.

now you got all the info needed, and the rest depend on what sound sig you want. 

Jan 29, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #716 of 850

I should be getting my K10s sometime this week (hopefully), so I can compare them with the Mentor then.

However, from memory, the K10 is a better performer in most components. Its soundstage is wider and deeper, with a more full-bodied sound than the Mentor. Imaging and detail bests the Mentor by a hair. The Mentor has an excellent treble presentation, though, matching the K10 in extension and clarity. The Mentor has very good bass texture and punch, and is the better earphone for bass-heavy genres like EDM. For other genres, though, I'd pick the K10.

Feb 1, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #717 of 850
Thanks to the both of you. I'm going for the K10 or one of the Custom Art offerings. The guy at Custom Art is very responsve and that goes a long way in my book. Plus they're based in Europe and the prices seem reasonable for a top tier CIEM. In all honesty I'd like the K10 but the cost and the fact that they're outside of the EU is a bit prohibitive for me. Might get it yet though.

Feb 1, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #718 of 850
Thanks to the both of you. I'm going for the K10 or one of the Custom Art offerings. The guy at Custom Art is very responsve and that goes a long way in my book. Plus they're based in Europe and the prices seem reasonable for a top tier CIEM. In all honesty I'd like the K10 but the cost and the fact that they're outside of the EU is a bit prohibitive for me. Might get it yet though.

Sorry mate, my K10s will only arrive early next week. Anyway, it's rather fortuitous that I managed to audition the CustomArt Harmony 8 Pro on Friday. It's a well balanced, coherent IEM with a wide, deep soundstage and loads of clarity to boot. It's a technically impressive IEM that stands toe to toe with the K10. The latter has a warmer sound signature with a nice, lush midrange, and a weightier bass presence. The H8P on the other hand, just scream clarity and detail right from the outset. The K10 is more musical, and the H8P more analytical. Both are top notch, though.

Feb 4, 2015 at 6:09 PM Post #719 of 850
hey guys wanted to tell you that the old Portaphile 627 version will be back in a new "panel" design, which is better ofc, yet this will be for a limited number, man i can't wait to have mine, if some head-fiers want it then don't miss the golden chance.

for those who want to know what is the difference between the old and the new version, lets say the new version lack the hint of warmth that the old versions had, which is why so many people were starving to get the old version from the sale threads

the new version isn't bad or anything , its just that audiophile who want Neutral + hint of warmth and smoothness can't get that sound sig with the new versions

anyway if you want to pre order it will be for 449$ + shipping  , contact Portaphile's Cesar on this email : http://smartbuys@usa.com

oh i forgot to say that i had the Pico Power and the old Portaphile 627, and i would pick the 627 over the Pico Power anytime ^^

even AVG Joe stated that its the best amp he ever had, which got me to buy the old version to begin with, check Joe's review in this link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-16-amps-reviewed-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-added

The Mentor do rocks more on this amp compared with the Pico Power, the best part that you can use this amp as a desktop amp as well thanks to the 5v adapter ^^

Feb 6, 2015 at 4:20 AM Post #720 of 850
Sorry for not posting more... It means am having more 'air' time with my Mentors.

Now my Geek Out is attached to an LPS w/ LH Labs' 2G split usb cable. Hearing more bliss...

Now to continue....

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back