Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Mar 31, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #736 of 850
  12 Drivers CIEM made only for me, will its the old project that i had before, just upgrading it, V3 now, been there since a year , and now its getting to the Final Stage, dang it was a lot of experimenting !!  

the v2 had 10 drivers and it was epic, less mids than the Mentor but the rest the mentor can't even come near it, bass quality/punch/texture/speed , treble smoothness/extension/quality/quantity all of that in the favor of the the v2 , for the mids it was less quantity / forwardness but higher quality and sweetness 

for the v3 the bass will be improved even more, and the mids will increase slightly more.

Peter's tuning is the best i ever heard from a CIEM, don't get me wrong the UM company rocks, i've bought the Miracle and Mentor twice, and will buy there new products 100%

if you want you can PM Peter (Custom Art) and ask for a project, he will do your CIEM the way you want it, and only for you. 

So you had a completely custom, one of a kind, ciem made just for you? 

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #737 of 850
  So you had a completely custom, one of a kind, ciem made just for you? 

not only me, few others had the lucky chance, Peter is a very nice person and a genius <3 

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #738 of 850
  not only me, few others had the lucky chance, Peter is a very nice person and a genius <3 

I've only tried the Harmony 8 Pro out of the stable of Custom Art products, but wow, what a great experience! It has the best treble presentation I've ever heard in any IEM to date. If that's what Piotr can do, I'm stoked to see what he can deliver next.

Anyway, sad to hear that you're letting the Mentor go. Hope you come back to the family sometime soon. 
smile.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #739 of 850
I received the Mentors today. I have only spent about two hours with them but so far I am finding them a bit surprising. From all the descriptions I was expecting them have a larger headstage/soundstage. They do have good layering and depth and a 3D presentation but the width is much more restricted than my other iems. It is a very different out of head experience than other I own or have tried. It is very fast transients are lightening fast. Overall it is a very warm tonal balance with very excellent bass. There is a bass emphasis that will take some getting used to. 

I am a bit surprised at the cable also. It is not up to what I might have expected from an iem in this price range. I will be ordering a new cable tomorrow. I think that might open things up quite a lot. It has a  very black background with excellent dynamics. Treble is not as extended as I heard reported but that could just be the cable. Midrange is very smooth and warm. I like it so far because it is such a completely different take on things from my other iem's. The bass is the main feature as there is a tonal richness to the bass that other iem's miss. 

Instrument separation is above average and there is never a harsh note. It would be impossible to call these bright or harsh with any material. Really very different than what I expected but then different can be good. One outright complaint: the stems on the universal are too short. I was able to get a perfect seal using spinfits but I can tell you that nothing else worked and I tried many different tips. 

I will give it some time and see if this sound grows on me. It is certainly a different experience. The bass detail might be enough to justify the price.

Edit: I went back to  it again a few hours later and tried some JVC Spiral Dot tips. Wow what a difference. These iem's are more sensitive to tips than any other I have tried. I got a good seal with the Spinfits but they were very bass heavy. The Spiral Dots also seal well and give a much more open presentation. The stock cable is a joke. I've already had it disconnect from one of the earphones. I will replace that asap. I am liking what I hear with the Spiral Dots so I need to give this more time. I don't want to sound negative. Early stages of trying to work this out.

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #740 of 850
Gratz man, the mentor is a very nice IEM, it will take time before the sound break in ofc, so give it time and keep testing with tips, also the cable play a very important part in the TOTL IEM world,

i highly suggest you look for a used cheap cable but ofc with highly quality, Toxic Cable, DHC etc, i wish you were living around here, would have lent you my Silver Widow 22AWG , the bass texture and control on it does change the Mentor bass and treble in a way that would be hard to believe unless you try it. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #741 of 850
  Gratz man, the mentor is a very nice IEM, it will take time before the sound break in ofc, so give it time and keep testing with tips, also the cable play a very important part in the TOTL IEM world,

i highly suggest you look for a used cheap cable but ofc with highly quality, Toxic Cable, DHC etc, i wish you were living around here, would have lent you my Silver Widow 22AWG , the bass texture and control on it does change the Mentor bass and treble in a way that would be hard to believe unless you try it. 

I have a guy in Latvia that makes solid silver cables. I've bought 2 from him to use with other iems. His quality is outstanding and price is reasonable. I will order a cable from him Monday for the Mentor. The Spinfits were killing the sound and I didn't realize it cause they work very well on other iems. The Spiral Dots make the Mentor finally sound like a high end iem. I think once I get a good cable this will be ok. I can't believe the quality of the cable they supply with the Mentor. There is no excuse for that kind of cost cutting on a product at this price point. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #742 of 850
Care to share info on your Latvian friend? I might be interested.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #743 of 850
  Care to share info on your Latvian friend? I might be interested.

He advertises on Ebay. I contacted him already about this and he said he does not have the Westone connectors but he, of course, can get them. I am waiting for him to tell me how long it will take him to get the connectors.

Here is one of his ads on Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-Solid-Silver-Shure-SE535-SE425-SE315-SE846-UE900-upgrade-cable-Lavricables-/181650410268?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123

When I got the first cable from him for my 846 the quality was far beyond what I expected. That caused me to order another cable for my Fitear. He had to go and order the Fitear connector which he did and it took him about 2 weeks. Now I am waiting to see about the Westone style connector from him. I believe JH also used the same 2 pin connector.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #744 of 850

I will give it some time and see if this sound grows on me. It is certainly a different experience. The bass detail might be enough to justify the price.

Edit: I went back to  it again a few hours later and tried some JVC Spiral Dot tips. Wow what a difference. These iem's are more sensitive to tips than any other I have tried. I got a good seal with the Spinfits but they were very bass heavy. The Spiral Dots also seal well and give a much more open presentation. The stock cable is a joke. I've already had it disconnect from one of the earphones. I will replace that asap. I am liking what I hear with the Spiral Dots so I need to give this more time. I don't want to sound negative. Early stages of trying to work this out.

I know of one other Head-Fi'er who seemed less than enthusiastic with his Mentor, but started to like them only after an extended period of time.

Anyway, I fell in love with the Mentor the moment I tried them on for the first time. That addictive treble presentation was smooth, extended, sparkling and almost sibilance-free. I knew I had to get them.

I hope you give the Mentor a chance to prove its worth. They will shine, I'm sure. Btw, I agree regarding that stock cable - dumped it as soon as I could.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #745 of 850

I know of one other Head-Fi'er who seemed less than enthusiastic with his Mentor, but started to like them only after an extended period of time.

Anyway, I fell in love with the Mentor the moment I tried them on for the first time. That addictive treble presentation was smooth, extended, sparkling and almost sibilance-free. I knew I had to get them.

I hope you give the Mentor a chance to prove its worth. They will shine, I'm sure. Btw, I agree regarding that stock cable - dumped it as soon as I could.

Actually I did not want to come off as less than enthusiastic. I wrote those first comments after trying the Mentors with Spinfits because I've had good luck with them. I had no idea that the tips on these could make such a huge difference. I own other iems and basically you either get the seal or you don't. Comply tips aside, most other sound similar if they present a good seal. My first experience with the Mentors showed a huge difference when I changed to the Spiral Dots even though they both got a good seal. I cannot account for this difference. Basically, the Spinfits were terrible on the Mentor.

Having listened for a while with the Spiral Dots I now know that the Mentor has great potential. I have ordered a new cable to replace the miserable one UM supplied. Meanwhile the sound is certainly promising. I should mention that with the Spiral Dots the sound stage also opened up as I thought it should. I will listen with fresh ears tomorrow and I think these will be just fine.

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #746 of 850
  Actually I did not want to come off as less than enthusiastic. I wrote those first comments after trying the Mentors with Spinfits because I've had good luck with them. I had no idea that the tips on these could make such a huge difference. I own other iems and basically you either get the seal or you don't. Comply tips aside, most other sound similar if they present a good seal. My first experience with the Mentors showed a huge difference when I changed to the Spiral Dots even though they both got a good seal. I cannot account for this difference. Basically, the Spinfits were terrible on the Mentor.

Having listened for a while with the Spiral Dots I now know that the Mentor has great potential. I have ordered a new cable to replace the miserable one UM supplied. Meanwhile the sound is certainly promising. I should mention that with the Spiral Dots the sound stage also opened up as I thought it should. I will listen with fresh ears tomorrow and I think these will be just fine.

Glad to hear that they're growing on you. Yeah, a good fit is essential - when I was auditioning them, I had to change tips (different sizes for each monitor, even) to get a good sound out of them. Once I did, however, I realised just how good these gems were.

Anyway, what cable did you get for your Mentor? It's a good thing UM has stuck to the standard 2-pin connector, so it's relatively easy to get a replacement cable .

Apr 4, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #747 of 850

Glad to hear that they're growing on you. Yeah, a good fit is essential - when I was auditioning them, I had to change tips (different sizes for each monitor, even) to get a good sound out of them. Once I did, however, I realised just how good these gems were.

Anyway, what cable did you get for your Mentor? It's a good thing UM has stuck to the standard 2-pin connector, so it's relatively easy to get a replacement cable .

It's the standard 0.78 connector used by old Westone like W4r I think even JH and Noble use it. I ordered from a guy in Latvia who has made solid silver cables for me before. He does fine work at reasonable prices. That connector is available from several sources no need to get it from UM. In fact after seeing their cable I think I would pass on their connectors.

I'm listening to the mentor as I type and it sounds very good. Any suggestions for other tips that fit the mentor shaft? The Spiral Dots work but I would like to try others. The ones that came with it are useless. I hate memory foam. Kills the sound for me.  

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #748 of 850
Hi all Mentor users :)

I'm currently satisfied with the lows, mids and soundstage on my Roxanne. The only complaint I have is its laid back treble. 
Looking at UM's line-up, I'm thinking to get either mentor or merlin, which are said to be the most "fun" sounding. 

I listen to mainly EDM and alternatives, and prefer a V-shape sound signature with huge soundstage. I'm ok with recessed mids, as long as there are good bass impact and treble extension. Which would suits my taste better, mentor or merlin? 
Appreciate your advice in advance. 

Apr 7, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #749 of 850
^ in that case i say go for the Merlin , and get a good cable for it, maybe Toxic Cable Virus , and in case you want full fun, then SW cable, there is a user who used both cables on the Merlin, seek him out in the toxic cable thread, 

Apr 7, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #750 of 850
Hi all Mentor users :)

I'm currently satisfied with the lows, mids and soundstage on my Roxanne. The only complaint I have is its laid back treble. 
Looking at UM's line-up, I'm thinking to get either mentor or merlin, which are said to be the most "fun" sounding. 

I listen to mainly EDM and alternatives, and prefer a V-shape sound signature with huge soundstage. I'm ok with recessed mids, as long as there are good bass impact and treble extension. Which would suits my taste better, mentor or merlin? 
Appreciate your advice in advance. 

I was torned between mentor and merlin, eventually I went for merlins and I really really love them!!!!
That bass is so deep and the soundstage is great, for the music preferences you have I think that you are going to love merlins :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back