Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Feb 8, 2015 at 2:32 AM Post #721 of 850

Quote:
  hey guys wanted to tell you that the old Portaphile 627 version will be back in a new "panel" design, which is better ofc, yet this will be for a limited number, man i can't wait to have mine, if some head-fiers want it then don't miss the golden chance.

for those who want to know what is the difference between the old and the new version, lets say the new version lack the hint of warmth that the old versions had, which is why so many people were starving to get the old version from the sale threads

the new version isn't bad or anything , its just that audiophile who want Neutral + hint of warmth and smoothness can't get that sound sig with the new versions

anyway if you want to pre order it will be for 449$ + shipping  , contact Portaphile's Cesar on this email : http://smartbuys@usa.com

oh i forgot to say that i had the Pico Power and the old Portaphile 627, and i would pick the 627 over the Pico Power anytime ^^

even AVG Joe stated that its the best amp he ever had, which got me to buy the old version to begin with, check Joe's review in this link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/585786/multi-portable-amp-thread-16-amps-reviewed-leckerton-uha-6s-mkii-added

The Mentor do rocks more on this amp compared with the Pico Power, the best part that you can use this amp as a desktop amp as well thanks to the 5v adapter ^^

The Portaphile is amazing, definitely added the weigh to the sound, without it, Mentor sound a little lean.

Mar 4, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #722 of 850
Anybody using balanced cables on their Mentors?

Recommendations / thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #724 of 850
i am getting the new Silver Widow cable, better SQ, Texture etc :D  it will be shipped next week, and i will have to wait :< 

Mar 5, 2015 at 8:07 AM Post #725 of 850
I was looking a PlusSoound X8 silver+gold.

My HPL Audio Nobiums have corroded a bit, hence..

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #726 of 850
My Portaphile 627 (old version + new panel) is here :D  i love this amp a lot!!  it does outshine the Hugo's amp section, and sound better than my old pico power ^^

also the blue LED isn't annoying as the older panel, got to love this Edition :p 

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:09 PM Post #727 of 850
I have a Mentor Universal coming in about 10 days. I would like to know if the standard Westone connectors will fit the Mentor? I am about to order an upgrade cable and I want to be sure I get the proper connectors. Any advice would be helpful.

I should have mentioned I also have some Fitear cable with 2 pin connectors around so I am thinking that they are the same as the Westone?

Mar 27, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #728 of 850
  I have a Mentor Universal coming in about 10 days. I would like to know if the standard Westone connectors will fit the Mentor? I am about to order an upgrade cable and I want to be sure I get the proper connectors. Any advice would be helpful.

I should have mentioned I also have some Fitear cable with 2 pin connectors around so I am thinking that they are the same as the Westone?

as far as i know W4R / JH / UM got the same exact connectors, and Fit Ear got a similar IE80 connectors (not the exact same)  so a standard Westone cable would do the job for you.

but you can still ask around to make sure ^^  

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #729 of 850

UM uses the standard 2-pin connectors, so I think you should be able to get cables with the old Westone pins (pre-MMCX) to fit.

I'm not too sure about the FitEar connectors, though.

I hope you enjoy your Mentors! 
smile.gif

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #732 of 850
  Bummer I have extra Fitear cables so now I have to order a cable for the Mentor. I knew my Shure cables won't fit. Anyone try a solid silver cable for the Mentor?

i did , the Treble will be sparkling more than the stock cable, the bass compared to other cables will be faster and more controlled yet without the same punch, some people like it this way, and the mids / vocal will be better ofc,  some people might not like the extra treble that the pure silver cables provide, and the Mentor is tad harsher sometime , depend. 

so make sure its a good silver cable, once i had a bad quality silver with the Mentor (bocur audio silver cable) and god.... it was a really bad combo,  then i did make Frank (toxic cables) give me a pure silver cable so i test how the Mentor sound with it,  i did also test the BW cable which is one of the best copper cables , and also the SW cable,

the Mentor sounded the best with the Silver Widow cable, and the SW's Treble is way smoother due the gold % in it. 

sadly the only cable i didn't test the Mentor with is the Virus cable, a Hybrid copper and silver , so i can help you with that, yet the SW 22 AWG is doing perfect for me.

Mar 31, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #733 of 850
Hey Guys selling my UM Mentor for the 2nd time, ofc  the same reason, shini is funding another CIEM project :p 

i will be buy the Mentor again later after i finish this new CIEM project of mine ^^

dang, if i wasn't a student i would be swimming in a pool of CIEMs  <3

oh guys i did try the UM Mentor + WA7 EH tubes + Hugo Chord , dang it was epic and creamy <3  and when i wan't Solid State amp taste the Portaphile 627 (old version) is there to make me dance!! 

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #734 of 850
Going to K10 or Layla? 

Mar 31, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #735 of 850
  Going to K10 or Layla? 

12 Drivers CIEM made only for me, will its the old project that i had before, just upgrading it, V3 now, been there since a year , and now its getting to the Final Stage, dang it was a lot of experimenting !!  

the v2 had 10 drivers and it was epic, less mids than the Mentor but the rest the mentor can't even come near it, bass quality/punch/texture/speed , treble smoothness/extension/quality/quantity all of that in the favor of the the v2 , for the mids it was less quantity / forwardness but higher quality and sweetness 

for the v3 the bass will be improved even more, and the mids will increase slightly more.

Peter's tuning is the best i ever heard from a CIEM, don't get me wrong the UM company rocks, i've bought the Miracle and Mentor twice, and will buy there new products 100%

if you want you can PM Peter (Custom Art) and ask for a project, he will do your CIEM the way you want it, and only for you. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back