Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Mar 19, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #304 of 850
I have auditioned mentor, TG334, and SD3. But not A/B/C-ing

I would say Mentor>TG334>SD3.

IMHO.. Mentor have more detail on bass, mid, and treble. The bass is deeper than TG334 & SD3. Mid range is better, especially on upper mid. And it has great miracle's treble.
Compared on Santana's - Corazon Espinado, Mentor have more focus & punchier bass, but if i'm not mistaken the bass hit deeper on TG334. The cow bell sounds more exciting on that song. Vocals sounds great on TG334, but i feel more intimate vocal on mentor. Cymbals sounds more natural on TG334, but the its more extended on mentor.

Hey, you live in singapore right? why dont you just go to stereo (mentor) & jaben (TG334) to get the audition?

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #305 of 850
Ok I bit the bullet
I went and picked up a pair of mentor universals today

They are fantastic so far. Very smooth yet detailed with good extension at both ends.
Coming from Merlin they are less impactful in the bass but have IMO a better transition from bass to mid to treble

I only got the universal as auditioning them here isn't really possible however I will be surely sending them off for a custom reshell when I get the extra $$ and can part with them for a couple of months.

I know this doesn't tell you a whole lot but I am on a train at the moment with limited reception

I will post a decent review once I have had some time with these

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #307 of 850
anyone else notice the color of the shell changes to a purple hue when in daylight (for any mentor color incl but aside from black)? (um 3x does the same, any my black mentor did that too).

I think it's probably something to do with whatever material they use to print the shells

Yeah my black universals also have this purpleish hue

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #310 of 850
Thanks! :) i know the shell of 334 is the best build quality i have seen for universalm how do the mentors compare? And is the isolation and fit good? Like i f i use them kn airplanes?

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #311 of 850
Ok I bit the bullet
I went and picked up a pair of mentor universals today

They are fantastic so far. Very smooth yet detailed with good extension at both ends.
Coming from Merlin they are less impactful in the bass but have IMO a better transition from bass to mid to treble

I only got the universal as auditioning them here isn't really possible however I will be surely sending them off for a custom reshell when I get the extra $$ and can part with them for a couple of months.

I know this doesn't tell you a whole lot but I am on a train at the moment with limited reception

I will post a decent review once I have had some time with these

You managed to bought a set off the shelf?  No such luck in Singapore.  I still need to wait 4-6 weeks for a universal.  Paid an additional SGD60 for carbon fiber faceplate but now abit unsure whether that is possible on a universal.  Managed to grab hold of a set of Toxic Cable Virus to replace the stock cable the moment it arrive..
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #312 of 850
Hows the build quality

Not based on the new mentor, but with the 3DD universal compared to my other IEMs I would rank built quality fitear>jh/aurisonic>um.

Mar 19, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #313 of 850
Not based on the new mentor, but with the 3DD universal compared to my other IEMs I would rank built quality fitear>jh/aurisonic>um.

i'm based on the universal UM mentor. i have the aurisonic ASG-2.. i wouldn't say ASG-2>Mentor in built quality.

For built quality I would say TG334>=Mentor>JH>ASG

But the soundstage i choose better Mentor>ASG-2>TG334>JH.

Quote:
Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
i know the shell of 334 is the best build quality i have seen for universalm how do the mentors compare? And is the isolation and fit good? Like i f i use them kn airplanes?

Isolation is better in mentor than TG334 and ASG-2. But ASG-2 fit better in my ear that all of them..
confused_face.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #314 of 850
i'm based on the universal UM mentor. i have the aurisonic ASG-2.. i wouldn't say ASG-2>Mentor in built quality.

For built quality I would say TG334>=Mentor>JH>ASG

But the soundstage i choose better Mentor>ASG-2>TG334>JH.

Quote:

Isolation is better in mentor than TG334 and ASG-2. But ASG-2 fit better in my ear that all of them.. :confused_face:
thanks! :)))) i was just afraid that my ears would be pain and i would hear alot of outside noise when im travelling. Especially 8hr flights :/

Mar 19, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #315 of 850
thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif
))) i was just afraid that my ears would be pain and i would hear alot of outside noise when im travelling. Especially 8hr flights :/

don't need to worry about isolation, getting the right tip to suit your ear will cancel all that worries and i find mentor is easy to drive even though its 10 drivers but its definitely very unforgiving to bad  music quality than Miracles..:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back