Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Oct 11, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #646 of 850
Yeah great water analogy. At the moment I'm trying not to become too emotional about my emotionally driven purchase. Haha, been listening the last few hours and it is growing on me. Like a moss.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #647 of 850
Yeah great water analogy. At the moment I'm trying not to become too emotional about my emotionally driven purchase. Haha, been listening the last few hours and it is growing on me. Like a moss.

Haha. Being emotional in this hobby is what keeps us (and the companies) going. If we all thought with our minds instead of our hearts, we'd probably be stuck with the bundled earbuds. And we'd be much richer for it! 
biggrin.gif

On that note, are you interested in other existing/upcoming IEMs? Anything that has piqued your interest so far?

Oct 11, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #648 of 850
Too bad you are in Singapore Malevolent. We seem to connect in some ways. I on occasion just say F-it..I'm going to spend a fraction of my paycheck on something I want, not need. I work too hard to feel otherwise. I honestly should have stopped an year ago, but hey, I have no other hobbies besides my wife, fitness, and yes...music. I've been a dj for a very long time. Music is what makes the dull come to life for me. The mentor is more like a long lost cousin, rather than a brother I haven't seen in a long time. I need more time to warm up to it, and shouldn't rush the process. 

On you second note, regarding piqued IEMs...I have honestly been trying to ween myself away from anything tempting. I am in the process of buying/saving for a house in the NYC area...this means that all my other hobbies have to go on hold. I am actually HAPPY at the moment, which may be rare for Head-Fiers...but...regardless, I need to do so. I've honestly spent WAY more than I need to. I started with the IE8 a few years ago, and since then I've prob spent over 10,000 on IEMs/Headphones/amps/cables...easy...prob more. I haven't tolled up everything because doing so will probably mean ending this hobby for good. If ANYTHING...i may be looking for the next GREAT custom to show up. Otherwise, I really am a happy camper. I've paid my dues in many ways, any honestly, I've had nothing but fun with the hobby. I have to cut it off for a few months...maybe a few years, because I know if I keep looking, I will keep buying. Just to be honest. Peace. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #649 of 850
  Too bad you are in Singapore Malevolent. We seem to connect in some ways. I on occasion just say F-it..I'm going to spend a fraction of my paycheck on something I want, not need. I work too hard to feel otherwise. I honestly should have stopped an year ago, but hey, I have no other hobbies besides my wife, fitness, and yes...music. I've been a dj for a very long time. Music is what makes the dull come to life for me. The mentor is more like a long lost cousin, rather than a brother I haven't seen in a long time. I need more time to warm up to it, and shouldn't rush the process. 

On you second note, regarding piqued IEMs...I have honestly been trying to ween myself away from anything tempting. I am in the process of buying/saving for a house in the NYC area...this means that all my other hobbies have to go on hold. I am actually HAPPY at the moment, which may be rare for Head-Fiers...but...regardless, I need to do so. I've honestly spent WAY more than I need to. I started with the IE8 a few years ago, and since then I've prob spent over 10,000 on IEMs/Headphones/amps/cables...easy...prob more. I haven't tolled up everything because doing so will probably mean ending this hobby for good. If ANYTHING...i may be looking for the next GREAT custom to show up. Otherwise, I really am a happy camper. I've paid my dues in many ways, any honestly, I've had nothing but fun with the hobby. I have to cut it off for a few months...maybe a few years, because I know if I keep looking, I will keep buying. Just to be honest. Peace. 

Yeah, Eugguy, we do share similar interests. It's interesting how you meet people, even though they are half a world away.

Like you, I love my (dance) music a lot, and this drove me to try my hand at DJ-ing. I bought a pair of CDJs and a DJM, and tried beatmatching to start it all off. Suffice to say, it wasn't easy, but I finally managed to get the hang of it (albeit rather slowly). I've just sold them about a month ago, as I wanted to get a controller instead (DDJ SX2), as I actually found more time with my Denon DJ MC2000 rather than my CDJs/DJM combo.

On that note, do you play at any clubs/pubs? Wish I had the courage (or motivation) to do so, but I think DJ-ing is going to be mainly a hobby.

Anyway, I agree on spending way too much on this hobby. It's so easy to simply walk up to a store, try on a pair of new headphones/IEMs, decide the sound is great, think about the price (for a minute), then proceed to purchase. I've really had to try my best to stop doing so, since my wife can get a little grumpy when she sees yet another added to the collection.

Anyway, hope you get your new house soon, bro. It's always exciting looking for a new place. 
smile.gif

And yup, I'm in total agreement on your last point. In this hobby, if you keep looking for the next big thing, you're never going to stop. Oh, well.

Oct 16, 2014 at 2:18 AM Post #651 of 850
On the top end...everything will be great.

It will just boil down to preference/taste.

Oct 16, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #652 of 850
What's the sound of the Mentor like compared to the Miracles? I'm considering on getting a new pair of CIEMs but am torn between the Noble K10 and the Mentor.

Compared to the Miracle, the Mentor has a full bodied sound. Bass and treble levels are slightly boosted, resulting in a slight v-shaped sound signature. In contrast, the Miracle presents itself as a more neutral IEM, with good clarity and imaging. Detail on both are excellent, but I found the Miracle to be more revealing on less congested tracks.

Listening to them one after the other, the difference is quite astounding. It's akin to trying the JH13 and JH16. One is clear, precise and a joy to listen to, whilst the other is fun with a palpable bass presence.

Like the 2 JH IEMs, both the Mentor and Miracle are great to listen to, but like m-i-c-k-e-y said, it really boils down to your personal preference. I haven't heard the K10 before though, but I've read about it, and it sounds like a top class CIEM.

Oct 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #653 of 850

Compared to the Miracle, the Mentor has a full bodied sound. Bass and treble levels are slightly boosted, resulting in a slight v-shaped sound signature. In contrast, the Miracle presents itself as a more neutral IEM, with good clarity and imaging. Detail on both are excellent, but I found the Miracle to be more revealing on less congested tracks.

Listening to them one after the other, the difference is quite astounding. It's akin to trying the JH13 and JH16. One is clear, precise and a joy to listen to, whilst the other is fun with a palpable bass presence.

Like the 2 JH IEMs, both the Mentor and Miracle are great to listen to, but like m-i-c-k-e-y said, it really boils down to your personal preference. I haven't heard the K10 before though, but I've read about it, and it sounds like a top class CIEM.

I heard that Miracle has a V shape sound. Is that true? 

By the way, in my opinion, Mentor does not have an exact V shaped sound. It has more forward mids and highs than lows, at least to my ears. 

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #654 of 850

By the way, in my opinion, Mentor does not have an exact V shaped sound. It has more forward mids and highs than lows, at least to my ears. 

+1

forward think/warm mids indeed, it does depend on the setup, some of us are using 200$ portable DAP without an amp, and the others are using it directly, were some of us using it with 500$-1000$ amp + dac, so the mids will be different indeed. 

Getting the LYR II soon, i assume the mids will be so epic on it, bought 623P Russain Rocket tube from 1974, these got excellent Treble extension , and since its a tube it will be super nice mids, since the tube's strongest point are always the mids.

i've tryed the Mentor with the WA7 + EH tubes before too, lets see how will the LYR II do against it.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #655 of 850

I found the Miracle to be more flat in its sound presentation. Mids, bass and treble were all equally well presented, with nothing sounding accentuated over the other. The lows and highs had good extension, but nothing overbearing.

For me, the most extended of the Mentor's frequencies is its treble. It has good reach and is very well controlled. I am sensitive to sibilance, so this is one area where the Mentor excels in.

Its bass is punchy and has good weight, but it's certainly not boosted by any means. Mid-range is lush, but not heavy, and vocals are played with authority.

Nevertheless, to me, the mid-range is the least prominent of its sound signature. Maybe it's because I've been listening to a lot of dance music on it (Trance, Eurodance, Hardstyle). It's definitely not a strong V at all (unlike that of my Westone 3), but the lows and highs are more notable to my ears.

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #656 of 850
  +1

forward think/warm mids indeed, it does depend on the setup, some of us are using 200$ portable DAP without an amp, and the others are using it directly, were some of us using it with 500$-1000$ amp + dac, so the mids will be different indeed. 

Getting the LYR II soon, i assume the mids will be so epic on it, bought 623P Russain Rocket tube from 1974, these got excellent Treble extension , and since its a tube it will be super nice mids, since the tube's strongest point are always the mids.

i've tryed the Mentor with the WA7 + EH tubes before too, lets see how will the LYR II do against it.

What portable amp are you currently using with your Mentors?

I'm currently playing it mostly with an iPod Classic 7G and an iBasso D6, and with this setup, the treble is very prominent.

I'd like to change my amp soon, though - I'm considering either a Fiio E12 or simply an iBasso DX50 to replace the Classic.

Oct 16, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #657 of 850

I'm currently playing it mostly with an iPod Classic 7G and an iBasso D6, and with this setup, the treble is very prominent.

I'd like to change my amp soon, though - I'm considering either a Fiio E12 or simply an iBasso DX50 to replace the Classic.

portaphile 627

Oct 16, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #659 of 850
Currently using a Heir Audio 3.ai universal fit. I am currently looking at getting a UM merlin or mentor universal fit. Wondering if anyone has made the jump from my current earpiece to similar range iems? I am searching for the wow feeling again. I havent got time to go down to audition so I thought of getting more opinions first before auditioning.. :)

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #660 of 850
  +1

How was Mentor on WA7? Quite warm? How was mid-bass quantity?

Quote:

Thanks, I found that helpful. Based on your descriptions, I would probably prefer the Miracle signature over the Mentor. Now if I can only audition a K10 ... 

Which kind of music do you listen to?

Perhaps, you get a V shape sound in accordance with your source. Highs on ipods are very prominent. You should try it on more balanced source :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back