Unique Melody Mentor debut in Tokyo e-earphone festival
Oct 9, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #631 of 850
So I've been using the Mentor for a little bit now. Upgraded to the "Tinsel" cable from ALOaudio. The included generic cable that comes with the mentor is HORRIBLE. The ear guides just fell apart like chicken off a freshly cooked rotisserie chicken. This left me with disappointed. I would be a much happier camper if the cable included was of a better/higher quality. These are also the universal version, I was told wait time is around 3 weeks. Took about 6.5 -7 weeks. Other than that, I have to say, the Mentor is a nice IEM. Not great...yet. The Roxanne still holds top. The bore on the Mentor is a bit narrow and slick, it is difficult to use alot of tips without having them fall off. I use meelec double flange tips for most of my IEMS in my collection. With the Mentor I've been using single flange "Audio Technica" single flanges. Only because it fits the best over the bore, also is the most stable in the ear. The soundstage is closed in, in comparison to the Roxanne, ASG2 and SE846. I'm also disappointed at the fact that the "black" on the body of the IEM is more purple than black. I'm not trying to gripe, these are things that I'm noticing without trying. What I do like is the balanced presentation so far. I also like the highs, extended. I can see what some of the reviewers have been saying about the extended treble. It does get a bit sibilant at times. I also have to say, the connectors are also very receded. I feel like you really have to baby the IEM more than a typical IEM. These will be carried in the included metal case obviously. From here this is where I am going to go...I am going to "attempt" to install the double flanges...that's really it. I have already installed an upgraded cable. I hope these grow on me. 

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #632 of 850
I think that's the problem with Universals in general- everyone will hear them differently due to the unique shape of our own ears. The air between every instrument / layer gives it quite a spacious feel whereas you say it's closed in. The sockets on my universal are recessed about 1mm to a point where I refuse to call them recessed (maybe they updated it based on feedback). The wire is 'generic' but it is the westone epic cable, generic, and gave me no reduction in quality compared to my BTG SPC cable. The bore isn't really narrow, but short in comparison to the Roxanne. For reference, generic Auvio tips fit wonderfully on the tip (but not in my ears). As for the sound, voices are reproduced not to my liking (I like the Shure balanced better), sibilant at times, but when paired with tips that fit well the issue is lessened.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #633 of 850
i might bought the Mentor twice but both were custom, the last time i had a universal were long time ago, always went custom after buying the UM Miracle, i wish i could help you a little but i know less than anyone here when it comes to universals.

Oct 9, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #634 of 850
I still like them. I just think I need some time for the IEM to grow on me. I didn't get that WOW factor that I've gotten with some other IEMS...Some gripes. I will probably go customs later on. Thanks for the feedback Skildit/Shini.

Oct 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM Post #635 of 850
give it sometimes, at least 10 hours, your brain is still getting to the sound, so is your body with the fit etc,

for example the HD650 didn't wow me the 1st few days and i left it in the closet for days, also the clamping wasn't cool at the start, then when i came back to it i was like hmm this sound like a new headphone strange why am i wowed? and the clamping force wasn't as annoying and it was on my head for hours since then. 

bottom line, give it a time bro :3

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #636 of 850
I recieve my Mentors soon... anyone have a opinion about how they will pair with my Rwak120-B & RSA SR-71B setup?  (İ have custom balanced cables also.)

To be honest İ have been using sennheiser CX200II iem with ipod for a while and saving money.  This is my first rig setup. İ am excited, and hope İ have got the right equipment..

Oct 10, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #638 of 850
  So I've been using the Mentor for a little bit now. Upgraded to the "Tinsel" cable from ALOaudio. The included generic cable that comes with the mentor is HORRIBLE. The ear guides just fell apart like chicken off a freshly cooked rotisserie chicken. This left me with disappointed. I would be a much happier camper if the cable included was of a better/higher quality. These are also the universal version, I was told wait time is around 3 weeks. Took about 6.5 -7 weeks. Other than that, I have to say, the Mentor is a nice IEM. Not great...yet. The Roxanne still holds top. The bore on the Mentor is a bit narrow and slick, it is difficult to use alot of tips without having them fall off. I use meelec double flange tips for most of my IEMS in my collection. With the Mentor I've been using single flange "Audio Technica" single flanges. Only because it fits the best over the bore, also is the most stable in the ear. The soundstage is closed in, in comparison to the Roxanne, ASG2 and SE846. I'm also disappointed at the fact that the "black" on the body of the IEM is more purple than black. I'm not trying to gripe, these are things that I'm noticing without trying. What I do like is the balanced presentation so far. I also like the highs, extended. I can see what some of the reviewers have been saying about the extended treble. It does get a bit sibilant at times. I also have to say, the connectors are also very receded. I feel like you really have to baby the IEM more than a typical IEM. These will be carried in the included metal case obviously. From here this is where I am going to go...I am going to "attempt" to install the double flanges...that's really it. I have already installed an upgraded cable. I hope these grow on me. 

Yeah, I'm not too much of a fan of the Westone Epic cable, to be honest. Seems a bit filmsy and the braids tend to get loose very easily. I hardly use my Westone 3s but the cable looks like it's going to unravel anytime soon. Anyway, I opted for the silver cable, which looks to be slightly thicker and a little bit more rigid.

Anyway, coming from IEMs like the Westone 3 and the Shure SE215, I was floored when I heard the Mentors. During my 2 auditions, I spent time listening to the Mentor, Miracle, SE 846, W60, and the UE 900. Whilst the other IEMs were individually great, none were as stunning to my ears as the Mentor. With its punchy but controlled bass, and extended, clear highs, the presentation was equal parts powerful and coherent.

Only the JH13 FP provided me with this much of a "WOW!" factor. This was also why I went for the Roxannes blind, as I've read/heard good things about them in comparison with the JH13. Hope I didn't make a mistake here when I could have gotten the JH13s instead.

Still, I am thoroughly enjoying my Mentors, but I'm hoping to coax more fun out of them with a better amp. The D6s don't seem to do them much justice - it just makes them more airy with even more prominent treble.

Anyway, hope to hear more impressions between the Roxanne and the Mentor, once you've gotten them to sing better. 
smile.gif

Have fun with your Mentors!

I recieve my Mentors soon... anyone have a opinion about how they will pair with my Rwak120-B & RSA SR-71B setup?  (İ have custom balanced cables also.)

To be honest İ have been using sennheiser CX200II iem with ipod for a while and saving money.  This is my first rig setup. İ am excited, and hope İ have got the right equipment..

I agree with Eugguy here. Coming from your setup, you will be impressed with what the Mentors can deliver. They are many steps ahead of most IEMs, with the exception of some TOTL universals and customs.

Oct 10, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #639 of 850
The included cable with the Mentors isn't even a Westone quality cable. The POS cable just unraveled and fell apart with the HOUR! What? Yeah, this can make me angry, especially when you pay $1300 for a deluxe product. I bought two different, sorry, three different cables for the Mentor...well at least for the connector style. I picked up a Tinsel Wire, Silver Dragon, and Ultra-Thin cable (from Earphone Solutions). The Tinsel is ULTRA microphonic, but sounds and fits great. Great quality and style as well. ALO makes great stuff. I like the the Silver Dragon sound...on par with the Tinsel, but HATE the lack of Guide Wire and also the way the cable folds. The SD in general is a pain in the ass (to say nicely) to use because of this. I asked the owner, Drew, nicely to mod it or for a return, just received an arrogant response. No more business there. It's always a pleasure dealing with Earphone Solutions, and I hope the cable I picked up does a nice job. I also have other IEMs that fit the connector style, mainly the only other one I would use would be the ASG2. I can see where people say the Mentor sounds like the Westone 3. There is a similar sound sig, but the Mentor's is much more refined. I still favor the Roxanne in my collection overall, but the Mentor is getting more use overall now, in the past week. I am TRYING to like it. Maybe I'll wake up one day and be wowed...otherwise, I have a  feeling I will have to grow into them. For music, the Mentor excels at everything other than bass-heavy music for me. I have stuck with the single flange oval tips, left over from the Roxanne Universal set. Music such as indie, chill-out, classic oldies sound great so far. The imaging is what strikes me most with the Mentor. Second is the high end extension. Third is the fit. Everything else needs to grow on me a bit. 

Oct 10, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #640 of 850
  The included cable with the Mentors isn't even a Westone quality cable. The POS cable just unraveled and fell apart with the HOUR! What? Yeah, this can make me angry, especially when you pay $1300 for a deluxe product. I bought two different, sorry, three different cables for the Mentor...well at least for the connector style. I picked up a Tinsel Wire, Silver Dragon, and Ultra-Thin cable (from Earphone Solutions). The Tinsel is ULTRA microphonic, but sounds and fits great. Great quality and style as well. ALO makes great stuff. I like the the Silver Dragon sound...on par with the Tinsel, but HATE the lack of Guide Wire and also the way the cable folds. The SD in general is a pain in the ass (to say nicely) to use because of this. I asked the owner, Drew, nicely to mod it or for a return, just received an arrogant response. No more business there. It's always a pleasure dealing with Earphone Solutions, and I hope the cable I picked up does a nice job. I also have other IEMs that fit the connector style, mainly the only other one I would use would be the ASG2. I can see where people say the Mentor sounds like the Westone 3. There is a similar sound sig, but the Mentor's is much more refined. I still favor the Roxanne in my collection overall, but the Mentor is getting more use overall now, in the past week. I am TRYING to like it. Maybe I'll wake up one day and be wowed...otherwise, I have a  feeling I will have to grow into them. For music, the Mentor excels at everything other than bass-heavy music for me. I have stuck with the single flange oval tips, left over from the Roxanne Universal set. Music such as indie, chill-out, classic oldies sound great so far. The imaging is what strikes me most with the Mentor. Second is the high end extension. Third is the fit. Everything else needs to grow on me a bit. 

Wow, that really sucks, bro. To be honest, I think Unique Melody could have done more for the price we've paid. The cable falling apart within the hour is unacceptable. You should contact UM to have them rectify this. Moreover, the included carrying case is small, and definitely has no space for an aftermarket cable. Unlike other companies packing Otterbox-styled cases, UM just includes this one small tin. I'm nitpicking here, but hey, we paid a lot.

Btw, what accessories were included with the universal Mentors? All I had was the tin, a cleaning brush, a 1/4" adaptor, and an airline jack. The tin is nice, but it could be a bit bigger.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're growing into the Mentors. Some aspects of the sound are truly apparent - the treble presentation, for example. That really hits you and leaves you craving for more. Everything sounds wonderful through these IEMs. I especially love listening to Eurodance (with lots of vocals) and classic rock with the Mentors. Maybe it's a honeymoon period, but I hope my fascination with them lasts a long time.

Oct 10, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #641 of 850

Wow, that really sucks, bro. To be honest, I think Unique Melody could have done more for the price we've paid. The cable falling apart within the hour is unacceptable. You should contact UM to have them rectify this. Moreover, the included carrying case is small, and definitely has no space for an aftermarket cable. Unlike other companies packing Otterbox-styled cases, UM just includes this one small tin. I'm nitpicking here, but hey, we paid a lot.

Btw, what accessories were included with the universal Mentors? All I had was the tin, a cleaning brush, a 1/4" adaptor, and an airline jack. The tin is nice, but it could be a bit bigger.

Anyway, I'm glad that you're growing into the Mentors. Some aspects of the sound are truly apparent - the treble presentation, for example. That really hits you and leaves you craving for more. Everything sounds wonderful through these IEMs. I especially love listening to Eurodance (with lots of vocals) and classic rock with the Mentors. Maybe it's a honeymoon period, but I hope my fascination with them lasts a long time.

Yeah, I will try and contact them. It's SUCH a HEADACHE. I almost don't want to buy anything international again, rather just stick with domestic products. The accessories don't really bug me too much, I'm a meat and potatoes guy...an entree guy...not a appetizer or dessert guy if you know what I mean. The mentors are a 7.5/10 for me. Roxanne is 9.0/10, the only thing holding it back is the SIZE of the drivers. I also had a period of disappointment with the Roxannes, but it only lasted one day. I still need to have some time with the mentors to really make a REAL impression. Vocals and classic rock, late 1970s/early 80's sound amazing on the Mentors...I'll give it that. Euro-house also sounds good with the mentors, I agree. There is balance with the mentor, and maybe that is just it. I was expecting a more fun iem right off the bat, but again, i'll give it time. 

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #643 of 850
Eugguy, if you like the Roxanne that much, sell the universal and get the custom. Its a leap above.

The mentor is smooth and liquid. Good for vocal. For heavy bass, Roxanne performs better. If I can picture it, mentor is like a still water with some ripples while roxanne is a like a splashing water with lots of energy. The quality of water are both clear.

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #644 of 850
Yeah, I will try and contact them. It's SUCH a HEADACHE. I almost don't want to buy anything international again, rather just stick with domestic products. The accessories don't really bug me too much, I'm a meat and potatoes guy...an entree guy...not a appetizer or dessert guy if you know what I mean. The mentors are a 7.5/10 for me. Roxanne is 9.0/10, the only thing holding it back is the SIZE of the drivers. I also had a period of disappointment with the Roxannes, but it only lasted one day. I still need to have some time with the mentors to really make a REAL impression. Vocals and classic rock, late 1970s/early 80's sound amazing on the Mentors...I'll give it that. Euro-house also sounds good with the mentors, I agree. There is balance with the mentor, and maybe that is just it. I was expecting a more fun iem right off the bat, but again, i'll give it time. 

Yup, I can understand your apprehension here, since it's probably going to be another long wait for a replacement cable, if any at that. Hope you get a reasonable closure to this issue, bro.

Anyway, I know what you mean about being a straight-up entree guy. However, I'm very much a "whole package" kinda guy. So for me, the accessories and even packaging make quite a big impression on me. On that matter, I think the Mentors have left a bit of a dent, as I feel that they could do better with the price people are paying for a Mentor, universal or custom.

Still, I'm glad that you're feeling the Mentors, at least on some genres of music. I love 80s/90s rock, and playing songs like Scorpion's Still Loving You to Guns N Roses' November Rain sound absolutely phenomenal. The guitars, piano, vocals.. they are fantastic.

Btw, I'm (pleasantly) surprised that you rated the Mentor a 7.5 in comparison with the Roxanne at 9.0. My anticipation is even greater now. I can't wait to hear what the Roxanne can deliver. 
smile.gif

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #645 of 850
  I am blown away.... 

Welcome to the Mentor club, DetroitEARS! Enjoy! 
etysmile.gif

Eugguy, if you like the Roxanne that much, sell the universal and get the custom. Its a leap above.

The mentor is smooth and liquid. Good for vocal. For heavy bass, Roxanne performs better. If I can picture it, mentor is like a still water with some ripples while roxanne is a like a splashing water with lots of energy. The quality of water are both clear.

Interesting but nice analogy there, adammax. I already feel the energy of a Mentor in direct comparison with the UM Miracle, Shure SE846 and even the Westone W60. It sounds thoroughly engaging for most types of music. It's hard to imagine the Roxanne being more captivating than the Mentors, but from some direct comparisons, it seems I'm in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back