Unique Melody ME.1 Planar IEM
Jun 20, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #347 of 381
Hello
I am looking for a «good but not too expensive» balanced cable, but I am confused by the special 2 pins connector that "covers" the pins...
Which cable fits well (soundwise and mechanically) without weakening the connection ?

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #348 of 381
Hello
I am looking for a «good but not too expensive» balanced cable, but I am confused by the special 2 pins connector that "covers" the pins...
Which cable fits well (soundwise and mechanically) without weakening the connection ?

You should contact @PETEREK. He can make a cable to your liking/budget. He made my cable, but the connectors don't have the cover like the stock ME.1 cable. It's mostly fine except that the ME.1 socket on the right earphone isn't allowing for a fully flush fit with the pins. So, I'm hoping PETEREK can modify the cable he made to use a similar or same cover as the stock ME.1 cable because it basically holds the pins in place.

BTW, according to MusicTeck, the 2-pin connector that UE uses is called a "UEpin" like those used for UE18. It's 0.75mm not regular 0.78mm that most upgraded cable use. I don't think this really matters (we're talking .03mm difference), but FYI.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #349 of 381
You should contact @PETEREK. He can make a cable to your liking/budget. He made my cable, but the connectors don't have the cover like the stock ME.1 cable. It's mostly fine except that the ME.1 socket on the right earphone isn't allowing for a fully flush fit with the pins. So, I'm hoping PETEREK can modify the cable he made to use a similar or same cover as the stock ME.1 cable because it basically holds the pins in place.

BTW, according to MusicTeck, the 2-pin connector that UE uses is called a "UEpin" like those used for UE18. It's 0.75mm not regular 0.78mm that most upgraded cable use. I don't think this really matters (we're talking .03mm difference), but FYI.

Here’s a pic of my cable from PETERREK connected to the ME.1.

91EB7C5A-61F0-4028-8C23-BA4B0C0AD048.jpeg

When I said “fully flush fit” above, I mean that the pins slide out a bit from the socket only in the right earphone. No issues with left. I have the option of sending the right earphone back to UM but don’t feel like shipping it back to China and possibly not getting the issue resolved.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #350 of 381
Thank you :)
Can you show a picture of the left connector with the proper fit ?
Do you feel the connection is weaker without the genuine "cover" part ?

Jun 22, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #351 of 381
I've been using my own cables with the UM ME.1 for a while which dont have a cover. they work great. No issues so far. The fit should be fine since the pins go all the way in just like in that photo.

If you have time and a little patience, you can make a balanced or SE custom cable with random parts from aliexpress for under $10 easily.

Aug 16, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #352 of 381
Has anyone gotten a Custom CIEM version of the ME.1?

I'm about to start the process of converting my univeral to CIEM. Their quote to do it was cheaper than I thought. Also found a local audiologist who only charges $20 for impressions. Shipping will be a pain from USA as well as the time it's going to take but I have plenty of other headphones and IEMs that don't get enough use anyway.

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #353 of 381
Has anyone gotten a Custom CIEM version of the ME.1?

I'm about to start the process of converting my univeral to CIEM. Their quote to do it was cheaper than I thought. Also found a local audiologist who only charges $20 for impressions. Shipping will be a pain from USA as well as the time it's going to take but I have plenty of other headphones and IEMs that don't get enough use anyway.

Hmmm... 20 seems like a price I see only in Asia haha. If it's an audiologist that you trust or you know of others that have done it before, then certainly go for it.

You can always send an email to us with your impressions before hand to make sure you get the ok from us!

Aug 16, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #354 of 381
Hmmm... 20 seems like a price I see only in Asia haha. If it's an audiologist that you trust or you know of others that have done it before, then certainly go for it.

You can always send an email to us with your impressions before hand to make sure you get the ok from us!

Ive never had this done before but they quoted me $10 per ear. Not sure about hidden costs haha. The place has been in our area for 30 years specifically doing hearing aids mostly, so i assume they know what theyre doing. I also reached out to a couple other places that got good reviews in seattle area.

Aug 16, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #356 of 381
Oct 6, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #357 of 381
It looks like my re-shell service was complete this week. Took about a month (arrived Sept 9th at UM and they said it completed on Oct 5th).

Interested in hearing how they will sound. Supposedly there will be some changes in the sound signature.

Oct 15, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #358 of 381
The ME1 conversion to CIEM has arrived! I switched to a purple shell from the original black. Fit is great. I was a little nervous because the ear molds I did were from a older gentleman who only charged me $10 per ear which is crazy low compared to anywhere else that quoted me and he didnt have me bite down on a block while doing it. But turns out it worked out well. I havent had IEMs insert this deep before so this is a little weird for me, but all the weight issues I had with the ME1 and Sine are now gone. They feel lighter.

Sound-wise, and this is a very brief 1 hour impression - it seems to have improved the shoutiness issue I had with the universal. Turning the volume up doesnt make that 1KHz region shouty and annoying. It's still a slightly a little darker than neutral sounding IEM to me, so I may play with some of the upper-mids and treble.

P1020332.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2018 at 8:32 PM Post #359 of 381
The ME1 conversion to CIEM has arrived! I switched to a purple shell from the original black. Fit is great. I was a little nervous because the ear molds I did were from a older gentleman who only charged me $10 per ear which is crazy low compared to anywhere else that quoted me and he didnt have me bite down on a block while doing it. But turns out it worked out well. I havent had IEMs insert this deep before so this is a little weird for me, but all the weight issues I had with the Sine are now gone. They feel lighter.

Sound-wise, and this is a very brief 1 hour impression - it seems to have improved the shoutiness issue I had with the universal. Turning the volume up doesnt make that 1KHz region shouty and annoying. It's still a slightly a little darker than neutral sounding IEM to me, so I may play with some of the upper-mids and treble.

Glad you're liking the return of your ME.1 man! I woulda been prettyyyy scared getting $10 impressions but I'm glad it worked out a-ok for you =)

We generally go for a bit more of a relaxed fit, but if you do feel the insertion's a bit too deep, definitely let us know and we can fix that up for you if you think it's worth sending it back our way again.

Oct 15, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #360 of 381
Glad you're liking the return of your ME.1 man! I woulda been prettyyyy scared getting $10 impressions but I'm glad it worked out a-ok for you =)

We generally go for a bit more of a relaxed fit, but if you do feel the insertion's a bit too deep, definitely let us know and we can fix that up for you if you think it's worth sending it back our way again.

Ha! Thanks. The Audiologist had been doing hearing aids and this type of stuff for 54 years? so I imagine he knew what he was doing. He apparently doesnt know the rising cost in the marketplace though, but that's fine for me. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back