Unique Melody ME.1 Planar IEM
Apr 12, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #331 of 381
Just tried the ME1s with the MandarinEs Symbio W tips. Compared to the JVC Spiral Dots, they sound very similar actually. So, any difference in sound I point out here, is very minimal. The Symbio W seem to give the ME1s a slightly punchier bass and improve the separation by a bit. I could more easily tell where each instrument is. The Spiral Dots, on the other hand, seem to sound just a bit smoother, which makes it more enjoyable listening to vocals.

Comfort wise, they both are pretty amazing, but since the Spiral Dots are softer, they have the slight upper hand. Only slightly though.

The Symbio W seems to fit the ME1s a lot better though, since the Spiral Dots often keep sliding further into the ME1's bore once you plug them in your ear, which renders the actual spiral dots useless. Some rubber o-rings would probably solve this, but I haven't found any that would fit the ME1s.

In the end, I still can't say which one is better though... Somehow, the smoothness of the Spiral Dots makes me switch back to it, but at other times, I wish it had the imaging of the Symbio W.

Apr 14, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #332 of 381
Wonder how long it will take for "Big brother" to be launched and wondering to jump in now or to wait for this upgrade.

I have an ME.1 and like it quite a lot, but for me it requires aggressive EQing, which it takes well, to lift the upper-mid veil, add some sparkle and reinforce the sub. That done, it does sound great, though perhaps textures are still a bit too smooth/rounded off for my preference. Given these things, I would welcome a new model with greater intrinsic extension and resolution. Would appreciate if someone from the company could comment.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #333 of 381
I have an ME.1 and like it quite a lot, but for me it requires aggressive EQing, which it takes well, to lift the upper-mid veil, add some sparkle and reinforce the sub. That done, it does sound great, though perhaps textures are still a bit too smooth/rounded off for my preference. Given these things, I would welcome a new model with greater intrinsic extension and resolution. Would appreciate if someone from the company could comment.

Plus one to this comment. I posted the EQ curve I used, and I really loved the ME1 when I had it here. Its an IEM I would definitely buy if they could fix the mid-range transition (which I'm sensitive to).

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #334 of 381
I tried the Symbio W tips again after not liking them initially. I like them now over the Dekoni Bulletz. I got tired of rolling the foam tips. With the Symbios, I just have to push them into my ear quite a bit and hold for the foam bit to re-expand into the ear canal.

I also like that the Symbios seem slightly more resolving over the foam tips while still retaining (or perhaps enhancing) the bass.

May 18, 2018 at 10:31 PM Post #335 of 381
I posted this on reddit yesterday but figured I share it here too!

I just picked up a set of Unique Melody Me.1 planar magnetic IEMs (used) and the Campfire Comet.

Just quick initial impressions of the ME.1 vs iSine 10.

ME.1 is gorgeous! It's very well built and such a smaller form factor than the iSine. The iSine, and some tweaks and tip rolling, was actually quite comfortable for me. As you can see, I used some heat shrink in certain positions on the ear hooks to make them more comfortable and fit better.

I love that the Me.1 isnt ridiculous looking. It fits quite well in-ear and doesnt require a super deep insertion to sound great. Overall, straight out of the box, the ME.1 does not require a significant amount of EQ at all like the iSine. It extends down low quite well with faster bass response and texturing. The mids are very good and rich on them and the highs are detailed and have some energy that the iSine seem to lack out of the box.

I use my iSine with significant eq work. I don't really care for its dark, laid back sound so I tweaked them to have more treble character and energy. I don't have to do that as much on the ME.1 It's got a more neutral sound signature right out of the gate.

As far as tips go, I use the iSine 10 with CP155 SpinFits which to me is the best for them after tip rolling like crazy. The UM ME.1 - I liked them so far with the Symbio hybrids and, ironically, the iSine Groovy tips!

zbTELZ7.jpg

May 19, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #336 of 381

I just picked up a set of Unique Melody Me.1 planar magnetic IEMs (used) and the Campfire Comet.

ME.1 is gorgeous! It's very well built and such a smaller form factor than the iSine. The iSine, and some tweaks and tip rolling, was actually quite comfortable for me. As you can see, I used some heat shrink in certain positions on the ear hooks to make them more comfortable and fit better.

I love that the Me.1 isnt ridiculous looking. It fits quite well in-ear and doesnt require a super deep insertion to sound great. Overall, straight out of the box, the ME.1 does not require a significant amount of EQ at all like the iSine. It extends down low quite well with faster bass response and texturing. The mids are very good and rich on them and the highs are detailed and have some energy that the iSine seem to lack out of the box.

I use my iSine with significant eq work. I don't really care for its dark, laid back sound so I tweaked them to have more treble character and energy. I don't have to do that as much on the ME.1 It's got a more neutral sound signature right out of the gate.

As far as tips go, I use the iSine 10 with CP155 SpinFits which to me is the best for them after tip rolling like crazy. The UM ME.1 - I liked them so far with the Symbio hybrids and, ironically, the iSine Groovy tips!

What about source? Did you the iSine with the Cipher cable or with it's reveal plugin?

I am not an iphone user so will not be using the cipher cable and auditioning iSine 10, 20 and LCDi4 just doesn't sounds right out of a DAP. This is what attracted me to the ME.1. Still hesitating to pull the trigger.

May 19, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #337 of 381

I was just about to ask the same question: Do you use the the Cypher cable? Using the iSine 10 + Cypher sounds way brighter to me than ME-1!

May 19, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #338 of 381
I was just about to ask the same question: Do you use the the Cypher cable? Using the iSine 10 + Cypher sounds way brighter to me than ME-1!

No I use an Android phone. I guess it wasn't very clear. I was comparing stock sound without eq. The me1 is significantly better. When I use reveal plugin or eq my iSine similarly to the cipher, the iSine sounds so much better than it does without it.

I still think the me1 is overall better in all aspects though for music and for movies. But it may not be $400 better than an iSine 10 unless you have money to spend and want every little bit of detail and more rich sound and the better fit and looks.

The detail of the me1 beats the iSine 10 even with the Audeze eq recommendations.

I recommend both. They are great iems. You have to weigh your budget though and how much you want to depend on eq if you prefer a more neutral or brighter signature.

May 22, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #339 of 381
Tried the ME1s with the Spinfits CP145 and CP155.

Compared to the JVC Spiral Dots and the MandarinEs Symbio Ws, the CP145 doesn't offer anything interesting other than a slighty more boomy bass. The detail and separation are a step down here. Looking at it, I'm not really surprised either, since it's basically a CP100 with a thinner bore (thus making it wider).

The CP155 on the other hand have something special to offer. It's longer and fits the ME1 a lot more nicely. Just like the CP145s, with the CP155, the bass becomes more boomy, even moreso than the CP145, but without losing bass detail. The detail and separation in the rest of the frequency range are also almost as decent as the Symbio Ws. The only issue is, that with the boomy bass, it can sometimes bleed a tiny bit into the mids.

Between the Spiral Dots, Symbio Ws and CP155, they all have something unique to offer, albeit the differences are still quite minimal. They're all great for the ME1s, So, if you had to choose, which one should you pick? Well... If you trust my judgement...

Pick the CP155 if you like a boomier bass with very decent imaging. I'd say these are the best for electronic music and instrumentals.

The Spiral Dots should be your choice if you don't mind to trade a tiny bit of that great imaging and separation for an extremely smooth sound and a more sparky treble. I imagine the Spiral Dots to be the preferred eartips for most. Especially since they do slight wonders with vocals.

And last, but not the least, pick the Symbio Ws if you want a slightly harder hitting bass with the best imaging. These are probably the best all-rounders here.

I'm also planning on trying the ME1s with the Final Audio Type E eartips. Impressions coming soon...

Last edited:
May 22, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #340 of 381
Tried the ME1s with the Spinfits CP145 and CP155.

Compared to the JVC Spiral Dots and the MandarinEs Symbio Ws, the CP145 doesn't offer anything interesting other than a slighty more boomy bass. The detail and separation are a step down here. Looking at it, I'm not really surprised either, since it's basically a CP100 with a thinner bore (thus making it wider).

The CP155 on the other hand have something special to offer. It's longer and fits the ME1 a lot more nicely. Just like the CP145s, with the CP155, the bass becomes more boomy, even moreso than the CP145, but without losing bass detail. The detail and separation in the rest of the frequency range are also almost as decent as the Symbio Ws. The only issue is, that with the boomy bass, it can sometimes bleed a tiny bit into the mids.

So, Between the Spiral Dots, Symbio Ws and CP155, they all have something unique to offer, albeit the differences are still quite minimal. They're all great for the ME1s, but if you had to choose, which one should you pick? Well... If you trust my judgement...

Pick the CP155 if you like a boomier bass with very decent imaging. I'd say these are the best for electronic music and instrumentals.

The Spiral Dots should be your choice if you don't mind to trade a tiny bit of that great imaging and separation for an extremely smooth sound. I imagine the Spiral Dots to be the preferred eartips for most. Especially since they do slight wonders with vocals.

And last, but not the least, pick the Symbio Ws if you want a slightly harder hitting bass with the best imaging. These are probably the best all-rounders here.

I'm also planning on trying the ME1s with the Final Audio Type E eartips. Impressions coming soon...

I agree with these statements. My favorite tips for this earphone so far are the iSine Groovy Tips, the CP155 Spinfit, and the Symbio-W. They are all similar sounding but with a tad bit different character that can be noticeable on certain genres. These also happen to be the most comfortable tips for me, so it works out well.

Loving these earphones so far too. They are exactly what I wanted.

May 22, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #341 of 381
I agree with these statements. My favorite tips for this earphone so far are the iSine Groovy Tips, the CP155 Spinfit, and the Symbio-W. They are all similar sounding but with a tad bit different character that can be noticeable on certain genres. These also happen to be the most comfortable tips for me, so it works out well.

Loving these earphones so far too. They are exactly what I wanted.

Interesting. How would you say the Audeze Grooy eartips compare here?

May 28, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #342 of 381
Interesting. How would you say the Audeze Grooy eartips compare here?

I was going to give you a detailed look at the two this morning listening to both, but while I was listening to the SpinFits, I put the groovies in my pocket and went for walk outside with my cat (yes, this happens...) and came back and one groovy tip was missing! :frowning2:

I thought the Groovy tips wwere ok for the iSine. It made the mid-bass a tad bloated and uncontrolled for me. Using them with the ME.1, I feel like its more controlled and gives the ME.1 more full-bodied sound compared to the SpinFit. I actually don't find the spinfits to up the bass boominess. Perhaps if this is the case for you, the Groovies may add more mid-bass bloat than you'd like.

I may have to order a new set of Audeze tips. Luckily, it's not too expensive for audeze registered owners.

I'm perfectly content with SpinFit C155's and Symbio-Ws too. I actually made my own hybrid tips using a pair of generic "jaybird" tips that are 0.5mm smaller than the size Small Symbio-Ws and used the foam insert from them and placed into the smaller tip. They fit me a little bit better.

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #344 of 381
Tried the ME1s with the Final Audio Type E eartips. These actually sound very similar to the ManderinEs Symbio Ws. Maybe the Type E's have a tad more impact, but I still feel the detail and imaging on the Symbio Ws are slightly superior. I wouldn't mind picking either sound-wise though.

The Type E's do fit tighter and can go deeper in my ear, giving me a more secure fit. I wouldn't call them more comfortable though. I think I prefer the feel of the Symbio Ws.

Aesthetically, I do prefer the white Type E's on my red and black ME1s. Orange just doesn't go well with black and red. But, it's not like you see the eartips when they are in your ear...

That's it... I just realized I have way too many eartips for just one pair of IEMs... Meh...

Jun 11, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #345 of 381
Tried the ME1s with the Final Audio Type E eartips. These actually sound very similar to the ManderinEs Symbio Ws. Maybe the Type E's have a tad more impact, but I still feel the detail and imaging on the Symbio Ws are slightly superior. I wouldn't mind picking either sound-wise though.

The Type E's do fit tighter and can go deeper in my ear, giving me a more secure fit. I wouldn't call them more comfortable though. I think I prefer the feel of the Symbio Ws.

Aesthetically, I do prefer the white Type E's on my red and black ME1s. Orange just doesn't go well with black and red. But, it's not like you see the eartips when they are in your ear...

That's it... I just realized I have way too many eartips for just one pair of IEMs... Meh...

Haha! I have a couple dozen different types of ear tips too! I gave my co-workers all my large ones that don't fit me. I guess they profit from my indecisiveness and experimenting.

Where did you get the FAD E tips?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back