Unique Melody Mage Review & Appreciation Thread
Feb 10, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #661 of 926
I got my remolds back from UM. I had bought a TF10 with extra mid driver (TF11) from a fellow headfier and got it remolded. I got a TF10 when they had the sale on and asked UM to make the TF18. I also got back my Klipsch Custom 3 remold for a refit. So far, I am most impressed with the TF18. I need to do some more listening for me to make some comparisons. I get a good fit and seal from all of them so I don't have to send any back for refits! I will post pictures within a few days. The workmanship is top notch as usual.

Edit: I just realized that I posted in the wrong thread.

Feb 15, 2010 at 1:44 PM Post #662 of 926
Mage owners, how is the bass response on the Mages. I've read a few of the reviews but would like to find out more, especially comparisons with popular universal IEMs.

Feb 15, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #663 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by milesandcoltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mage owners, how is the bass response on the Mages. I've read a few of the reviews but would like to find out more, especially comparisons with popular universal IEMs.

IIRC its lesser than a tf10 and w3. Probably closest is the bass of UM3x.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #664 of 926
In terms of quanity that is. Quality wise, it's one of the fastest and fastest decaying lows on the market. Some may not like the fast decaying lows of the Mage cause the hits are there for a moment then gone, but in genres like Trance the Mages really shine in the lows.

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #665 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaoDi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms of quanity that is. Quality wise, it's one of the fastest and fastest decaying lows on the market. Some may not like the fast decaying lows of the Mage cause the hits are there for a moment then gone, but in genres like Trance the Mages really shine in the lows.

hahah yup - i only touched on the quantity.

btw happy new yr
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #666 of 926
Ah man I've yet to listen to the TF10 and W3. Only experience has been the Shure E2 (bass was lacking in quantity and quality, what little bass it had were muddy and loose), the UM1 (greater bass quantity but still not taught). For depth I loved the Senn HD 25-1 - granted their cans but the bass on these were lovely.

Would you guys describe the bass as being Etymotic type bass i.e. little or minimal bass but deep and well defined?

Sorry guys I'm having a hard time trying to imagine the bass on these. Its an important consideration for me before making the plunge. 500 bucks ain't much, but their customs and if I don't like'em I'mma gonna be screwed bad.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:17 PM Post #668 of 926
Hey guys right now I'm kinda deciding between:

1. Buying a new set of UE TF10 then sending it to Unique Melody to mold them into customs, with an added mid driver

2. The Unique Melody Mage

If I don't get a good price on the TF10 I might end up paying more than I would have paid for the Mage. What do you guys think?

Sonically would the Mage be superior? What would the differences be?

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #669 of 926
Mage, for sure. I've been listening to my Mage so long that I can't STAND my TF10s. I used to be a huge fan of the TF10s, but now I find them to be intolerably sibilant. I didn't notice it until I had listened to the Mages long enough. So, I'm not sure if it's the remolding process that brought out the sibilance or just adapting to UM's monitor. I would suggest the Mages.

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #670 of 926
Quote:

Originally Posted by mistertomlinson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mage, for sure. I've been listening to my Mage so long that I can't STAND my TF10s. I used to be a huge fan of the TF10s, but now I find them to be intolerably sibilant. I didn't notice it until I had listened to the Mages long enough. So, I'm not sure if it's the remolding process that brought out the sibilance or just adapting to UM's monitor. I would suggest the Mages.

beerchug.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:18 AM Post #671 of 926
Hey guys,

Just wondering what you guys have been asked to pay for your mages? i have been quoted a price of $610 USD which seems a bit higher than standard? I live in Australia btw.

Cheers,

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #672 of 926
There is anyone here who own Mage, planning to buy upcoming balanced RSA portable amplifier?

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:40 AM Post #673 of 926
Hey guys,

I was just able to listen to the Mage for a bit. It was a dealer's own piece and the fit was surprisingly good. I guess we share pretty similar ears. My left ear was about 90% snug and my right was about 80-85%. I pushed them in a little so the fit was almost flush then turned on the music. I was really disappointed! They sounded really really thin. Details and mids were there, but the bass lacked impact and depth. I spoke to him about it after listening to them and he said if I enjoyed the ATH-ESW10JPN (which I had been auditioning) then the Mage might not be for me because it has a lighter sound signature. I'm feeling depressed. Been really wanting to get the Mage especially since it gives max bang for buck FWIR but alas it might not be my cup of tea.

I reckon the TF18 or TF10 remold with an extra driver might be me the only customs (I can afford) right for me.

Mar 1, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #674 of 926
haha why does everyone get a good fit with his. Even bevan says he gets a good fit with aaron's mages. I myself got a pretty alright fit. I didn't hear the special , namesake clarity that everyone was talking about, but im sure its just the fit. with customs its really supposed to go very deep, and fit well, as customs use bone conduction, so im guessing that would affect the sound.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #675 of 926
Haha it was brian's actually. The other dude from stereo with the mages. Aron wasn't there today. I believe I got a really tight fit. On my left ear I could almost feel the entire surface of the molds in my ear. In my left ear it was less so but when I pressed up against it the fit was really snug. On the other hand the fit was definitely not what it was supposed to be of course. That being said is it reasonable to expect the sound to change drastically if they were my own? Just worried that I'll be disappointed after laying down the cash n getting my iems. Sigh sigh sigh... Chaosfayt! Hope you get your tf18 soon bro! Thanks for ur reply to my pm btw! Cheers buddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back