Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 4, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #3,256 of 7,306
Can anyone comment on Mest mkII compared to ThieAudio Monarch or 64Audio Nio? Thx

Go to Rockwell75's ranking thread and ask there, he'll likely give you a pretty good run down (no Monarch though).

May 5, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,257 of 7,306
Ok. I’m at my wits end trying to sell these things to pay bills lol

The OG I’m selling is now starting in an eBay auction for $799 (I paid another user on this forum $920 for it, and only used it for days).

If anyone is interested in it, please feel free to place a bid OR message me with an offer. It’s also listed in classifieds for $850, but I can negotiate.

Note: I love the OG. I got myself a new one actually, so I have my preferred cable. So if you want the one I’m selling, you’re getting a better deal than I got for them!

May 5, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #3,258 of 7,306

The OG I’m selling is now starting in an eBay auction for $799 (I paid another user on this forum $920 for it, and only used it for days).

If anyone is interested in it, please feel free to place a bid OR message me with an offer. It’s also listed in classifieds for $850, but I can negotiate.

Note: I love the OG. I got myself a new one actually, so I have my preferred cable. So if you want the one I’m selling, you’re getting a better deal than I got for them!
This is a DANG GOOD price right here!
What y’all waiting for :wink:

May 5, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #3,259 of 7,306

It seems that since the MK2 has come out, people only pay attention to the MK2. I think it is a big mistake. But that's how this business works.

It was a risky gamble on your part to buy a new one and sell the one you had just to get the cable with the proper connector. I use the Mest OG with a NiceHCK-C16-3 cable that cost me € 10 and is much more comfortable and offers the same sound quality as the original.

May 5, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #3,261 of 7,306
It seems that since the MK2 has come out, people only pay attention to the MK2. I think it is a big mistake. But that's how this business works.

It was a risky gamble on your part to buy a new one and sell the one you had just to get the cable with the proper connector. I use the Mest OG with a NiceHCK-C16-3 cable that cost me € 10 and is much more comfortable and offers the same sound quality as the original.
Very true. I got in at a turn if the market pricing. used OG's started the post MKII period at $950, then down to $920 when I bought back into it. I didn't know if OG interest was down yet by too much more. But it looks like it'll sell now for $800's realm.

May 6, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #3,262 of 7,306
Posted this somewhere else, but thought I'd post this here.

I was able to get 5 non-audiophiles to try the MEST MkII, Andromeda 2020, and 64 Audio U12T. Players used are iBasso DX300 Amp11Mk1, Shanling M8, iPhone 12 dongle, their phone. Each person didn’t try each player + IEM combo, but all tried the three IEMs.

Music Preferences/Info about each person:
  • Person A: Gear doesn’t matter to them as long as they are listening to songs they like. Generally prefers upbeat feel good songs like September by Earth, Wind & Fire, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You by Frankie Valli.
  • Person B: DJ so can appreciate nice gear, but doesn’t use anything high end for audio playback. Listens to electronic/edm.
  • Person C: Generally listens to rock and rap, some pop.
  • Person D: Generally listens to jazz, pop, and instrumental. Not an audiophile, but used to own high end gear like the HD800 and Andromeda S. He attended audio show with me once which is how he knew about the Andromeda S.
  • Person E: Generally listens to heavy metal and rock, some pop.
Summary of their opinions after listening
  • Person A: MEST MkII + DX300 > Andromeda 2020 > MEST MkII + M8 > U12T. Got lost in the music with MEST MkII + DX300. Andromeda 2020 was pretty good. Didn’t like MEST MkII with M8 or U12T much.
  • Person B: U12T + M8 = Andromeda 2020 + their Phone or DX300 > U12T + their phone > MEST MkII. Got lost in the music with U12T + M8 and Andromeda 2020. Wasn’t a big fan of the MEST MkII.
  • Person C: MEST MkII + M8 = Andromeda 2020 + DX300 > Andromeda 2020 + M8 > U12T. Really enjoyed MEST MkII and Andromeda 2020. U12T not so much, but wasn’t sure why.
  • Person D: MEST MkII + M8 > Andromeda 2020 > MEST MkII + DX300 > U12T. For him, MEST MkII was like being at the concert without the feeling of the speakers. Favorite IEM he has heard along with MEST MkI. Still really enjoys Andromeda. U12T was eh.
  • Person E: MEST MkII > Andromeda 2020 = U12T. Liked MEST MkII for rock, but was like eh for heavy metal. Was also eh on Andromeda 2020 and U12T. I showed the Empire Ears Valkyrie to them once and they loved that.
  • All: Enjoyed hearing details they haven’t heard before. They could hear differences between phone and DAPs, couldn’t tell me why they enjoyed one more than the other. Going from phone to DX300 or M8 was night and day to them for MEST MkII and U12T. Andromeda 2020 was only small differences when changing player.

May 6, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #3,263 of 7,306
Very true. I got in at a turn if the market pricing. used OG's started the post MKII period at $950, then down to $920 when I bought back into it. I didn't know if OG interest was down yet by too much more. But it looks like it'll sell now for $800's realm.
There is a large supply and demand mismatch right now due to the MKII. You should hold onto it for about 6 months and wait until the sparkle comes off the MKII and people realize that the OG is better for some people. This was completely predictable.

May 6, 2021 at 3:22 AM Post #3,264 of 7,306

I was able to get 5 non-audiophiles to try the MEST MkII, Andromeda 2020, and 64 Audio U12T. Players used are iBasso DX300 Amp11Mk1, Shanling M8, iPhone 12 dongle, their phone. Each person didn’t try each player + IEM combo, but all tried the three IEMs.

• Person A: Gear doesn’t matter to them as long as they are listening to songs they like. Generally prefers upbeat feel good songs like September by Earth, Wind & Fire, Can’t Take My Eyes Off You by Frankie Valli.
  • Person B: DJ so can appreciate nice gear, but doesn’t use anything high end for audio playback. Listens to electronic/edm.
  • Person D: Generally listens to jazz, pop, and instrumental. Not an audiophile, but used to own high end gear like the HD800 and Andromeda S. He attended audio show with me once which is how he knew about the Andromeda S.
  • Person A: MEST MkII + DX300 > Andromeda 2020 > MEST MkII + M8 > U12T. Got lost in the music with MEST MkII + DX300. Andromeda 2020 was pretty good. Didn’t like MEST MkII with M8 or U12T much.
  • Person B: U12T + M8 = Andromeda 2020 + their Phone or DX300 > U12T + their phone > MEST MkII. Got lost in the music with U12T + M8 and Andromeda 2020. Wasn’t a big fan of the MEST MkII.
  • Person C: MEST MkII + M8 = Andromeda 2020 + DX300 > Andromeda 2020 + M8 > U12T. Really enjoyed MEST MkII and Andromeda 2020. U12T not so much, but wasn’t sure why.
  • Person D: MEST MkII + M8 > Andromeda 2020 > MEST MkII + DX300 > U12T. For him, MEST MkII was like being at the concert without the feeling of the speakers. Favorite IEM he has heard along with MEST MkI. Still really enjoys Andromeda. U12T was eh.
  • Person E: MEST MkII > Andromeda 2020 = U12T. Liked MEST MkII for rock, but was like eh for heavy metal. Was also eh on Andromeda 2020 and U12T. I showed the Empire Ears Valkyrie to them once and they loved that.
  • All: Enjoyed hearing details they haven’t heard before. They could hear differences between phone and DAPs, couldn’t tell me why they enjoyed one more than the other. Going from phone to DX300 or M8 was night and day to them for MEST MkII and U12T. Andromeda 2020 was only small differences when changing player.
Wow this is absolutely incredible! This further solidifies my choice to get custom MEST MKII.

Also, I think Person B might of not put in the MEST to get the proper bone conduction, but I’m just speculating. My Voyager 14 are better than u12t and andromeda by a long shot and the MEST MKII I presume smash them, so it makes sense why u12t and 6 BA Andro can’t compete to this monster MEST.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #3,265 of 7,306
Wow this is absolutely incredible! This further solidifies my choice to get custom MEST MKII.

Also, I think Person B might of not put in the MEST to get the proper bone conduction, but I’m just speculating. My Voyager 14 are better than u12t and andromeda by a long shot and the MEST MKII I presume smash them, so it makes sense why u12t and 6 BA Andro can’t compete to this monster MEST.
Glad this helped with your decision! Actually, when I listen to electronic/edm, I also prefer U12T and Andromeda over MEST. What I know about his music preferences, I definitely understand why he enjoys U12T and Andromeda more. MEST I find does really well with rock or maybe jazz as well. Others can definitely confirm the jazz part better than I can.

May 6, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #3,266 of 7,306

Thanks for this! Bet it was quite fun to do too!
MK2 + M8 is a great synergy for sure :)

Out of interest, prior to testing did you tell them there was a fancy bone conduction driver in the MEST MKII?

May 6, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #3,267 of 7,306

Out of interest, prior to testing did you tell them there was a fancy bone conduction driver in the MEST MKII?
Very great question! Should I get the custom version or universal? It seems most people here are getting it Uni, are customs extremely risky?

May 6, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #3,268 of 7,306
No experience with customs - hopefully there is someone who can comment on both customs in general & the MEST MK2 CIEM.

Have you heard either the MEST OG or the MK2, or are you buying blind?

May 6, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #3,269 of 7,306

Actually I didn't to 4 of them. Usually when I talk about driver technologies to people who are unfamiliar with it, they are like "uuuuuh". I tried telling them as little as possible to not sway my opinion as much. I avoided telling them price as well until after since learning price really changes opinion on the gear they are listening to.

May 6, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #3,270 of 7,306
Very great question! Should I get the custom version or universal? It seems most people here are getting it Uni, are customs extremely risky?
I have experience with 3 customs. I would highly highly recommend trying the universal version first if possible then go custom if you love the sound enough. Once you go custom and don't like it, you can't sell it (or it's hard to). Do keep in mind, the custom version does sound different than the universal. Custom is more comfortable, but it is a waiting process that depends a lot on your ear impressions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back