Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
May 6, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #3,286 of 7,306
To me, initial impressions are not sufficient to make an IEM purchase. I need it for a week hooking it up to multiple sources, listening at different times in the day and across lots of music genre. It's great to have a product on demo for a week if you can do it, but those units are few and far between. It is much easier to figure out what you want on paper and then buy a cheap resale unit. If you don't like it, flip it. This is only possible with those units that are popular and widely distributed. It doesn't work for the exclusive units like Traillii. There its best to get the demo unit.
Will yield to your greater experience on that one.
So far first impressions have not let me down.
Traillii is tuff as few if any, once they have it, want to let go of it. But then again that says something.

I think the MEST OG will go back up on prices on used eventually once the dust settles, some seem to prefer it to the MKII, I am not using mine now because of the other sets same for U12T.

Ely Traillii and Thummim are getting all my affection. May change over time but I think I am a three IEM guy, still new to this.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #3,287 of 7,306
As this is still a MEST thread, which TOTL IEM will be the best complement to the MEST MKII rather than a replacement?
For many it seems to be the Ely for its musicality in contrast to MEST (MKII) for its technicalities?

May 6, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3,288 of 7,306
i see i was referenced here...
i did rank u12t over mest/mest mk2, but i think i would rather own mest than u12t personally (and i do). both are fantastic iems.

as far as new tech always being better, which i think was stated earlier, i dont necessarily agree. the two iems i think i would be happy with forever are the Hidition Viento and the Vision Ears VE8. both came out in like 2013 and use BAs from even before that time iirc.

i do love the mest and a few other new iems as well and glad to see a lot of progress being made in iem quality, though prices skyrocketing scares me. glad the mest is still reasonably price compared to others.

May 6, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #3,289 of 7,306
as far as new tech always being better, which i think was stated earlier, i dont necessarily agree.
+1 on that, Leica and Leitz lenses for example

May 6, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #3,290 of 7,306
i did rank u12t over mest/mest mk2, but i think i would rather own mest than u12t personally (and i do). both are fantastic iems.

as far as new tech always being better, which i think was stated earlier, i dont necessarily agree. the two iems i think i would be happy with forever are the Hidition Viento and the Vision Ears VE8. both came out in like 2013 and use BAs from even before that time iirc.

i do love the mest and a few other new iems as well and glad to see a lot of progress being made in iem quality, though prices skyrocketing scares me. glad the mest is still reasonably price compared to others.
Which would you rather own?

CIEM MEST OG or either Universal or Custom MKII?

May 6, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #3,291 of 7,306
I’m buying blind, but from the year long research I’ve done on the MEST I’m not worried about the sound signature just about if customs are uncomfortable/weird if laying down flat on a pillow vs universals/ or just finicky to deal with once they’re made. Resale value is not an issue as well as I’m hoping to wear them for 5+ years.

Thank you again!
I'm in the same boat. I'm buying blind (Customs) I've had a couple of experiences with custom IEM's, they were mainly used for stage performance. (Musician) I'm hoping to use the MKII's for live performance and for casual listening. I haven't had a chance to demo any of the UM products but, I've done a fair amount of research, spoke with plenty of people that have heard either the MEST (older versions) and MKII's. Also, reviewer impressions and their "sound signature" preferences have come into play. I have demoed a fair amount of 64audio, Empire Ears, and JH Audio IEMS's. I have spoken to reviews who own many of these IEM's, getting their take on how the MKII compares. I'm feeling pretty confident I will enjoy these for many years to come. Cheers.

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #3,293 of 7,306

It agrees with everything I have said before.
I am delighted with the Mest, I would not change it for anything, but that does not mean that the U12t cannot be better for many people, or even be considered better by people with more experience and who can judge them more objectively.

And the same thing you said about technologies. Many people prefer IEMs from years ago, and for them they have not been surpassed. And they are precisely like you, who have had the opportunity to try many others since then.

May 7, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,294 of 7,306
Hello all,

Just want to share some amazing music,

- Youtube
- Desktop PC
- Honey H1
- Cheap $15 SPC Cable
- Cheap $5 eartips
- Mest Mkii

details, soundstage, sense of being there,
not just listening to some sound,
it's an immersive experience,

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #3,295 of 7,306
How is MEST in terms of comfort and fit? Has anyone had any problems?

What device do you use and recommend for MEST? Lotoo Paw S1?

I am very confused, I don't know whether to spend the amount I have on MEST or Focal Clear ...

May 7, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #3,296 of 7,306

I am very confused, I don't know whether to spend the amount I have on MEST or Focal Clear ...
I haven't had any fit or comfort issues with the Mest, but other people have.

I recommend a warm source for the Mest. I don't like the Lotoo S1 very much, so it wouldn't be my choic e.

May 7, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #3,297 of 7,306

Depends on what use case you are after.
Intimacy and isolation vs. open HP type sound?
Both are portable and will work with phones dongles and daps.

Are you sitting at home in the backyard or on the couch etc... or are you out walking traveling working in the shop etc... Former Clear Later MEST.

The signature of these two are also different.
Sound preferences come into play and no one can know that other than you.

Last edited:
May 7, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #3,298 of 7,306

For what’s it’s worth, I find the MEST Mk2 to be very comfortable. I was worried that I would have fit issues, but they turned out to be quite literally the most comfortable IEM pair I have worn. Currently trying to decide between Spiral Dot++/Xelastec tips, both worth great.

Sorry, not sure if you were asking about MEST OG or the Mk2. Never owned the OG, but have read that the MEST Mk2 is a smaller footprint and has specifically improved on the shell ergonomics.

Re: source, if you are deciding to go with a dongle, and not a DAP — Luxury&Precision W2 seems to be very well regarded and is said to be a great pairing with Mest Mk2.

May 7, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #3,299 of 7,306
For what’s it’s worth, I find the MEST Mk2 to be very comfortable. I was worried that I would have fit issues, but they turned out to be quite literally the most comfortable IEM pair I have worn. Currently trying to decide between Spiral Dot++/Xelastec tips, both worth great.

Sorry, not sure if you were asking about MEST OG or the Mk2. Never owned the OG, but have read that the MEST Mk2 is a smaller footprint and has specifically improved on the shell ergonomics.

Re: source, if you are deciding to go with a dongle, and not a DAP — Luxury&Precision W2 seems to be very well regarded and is said to be a great pairing with Mest Mk2.
MEST OG fits me fine, I have large ears. Expect to roll tips to get fit right.
I tried on S1 it was good but like a full size dap better. That way my phone is free from wires and the dap is in my pocket. Suppose you could just have two phones and do the same thing.

May 7, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #3,300 of 7,306
Ok so some shmuck tried to commit fraud on me on eBay for the MEST OG.

I got a message asking me what I would accept for a buyout (to avoid the auction). I told him $850 (which is already a lower price for the OG market), and he responded by saying he would pay me the $850 plus $150 for next day shipping. The thing is, he asked me to send a request for the purchase to his PayPal.

I figured, it doesn’t matter I guess, so I sent him a $1000 request. As it stood in my PayPal transaction list as “pending,” he messaged me saying he paid and that I should ship it right away. I checked the status and it still said pending. “Ok,” I thought, “maybe there’s a processing delay.”

So a few hours later I check messages and email and see an email from “Notification,” and upon clicking on it to see the actual email address, it says “service@paydesk” or something. Now, PayPal always sends notifications from a “service@paypal.com.” So this sketchy email he sent from “Notification” was immediately the big red flag that told me he was a fraud, paired with me still seeing “pending” on the request on PayPal. The email even said in it that I would receive the money as soon as I shipped the item! What a dingus.

So anyway, because of him I had closed my auction and now lost the watchers who were keeping an eye on the item.

Sorry to post here again to share my eBay listing, but this is the last time. I will keep this auction up for 3 days and, if it doesn’t sell, then I will be holding the MEST for several months before offering it up for sale again. Like someone pointed out, attention may not be on OG for awhile.

Here’s the auction if anyone is interested:
eBay MEST OG auction, starting at $799

To the person on the forum who sold it to me for $920, no hard feelings! I just wanted to let you know that your sale to me was entirely fair and honorable given the market at the time :) If I can only get $799 for it now, it is what it is. I think it ought to be closer to $900, but what can one do, you know?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back