Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 17, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #2,956 of 7,350
I’ll post a photo later today. They look great without the metal hats, in my opinion.

Best I could do with my iPad’s camera ...

ADC983FB-98AF-4AC9-BB3C-8291B7775FE8.jpeg

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #2,958 of 7,350
Best I could do with my iPad’s camera ...

ADC983FB-98AF-4AC9-BB3C-8291B7775FE8.jpeg
Hmm, it looks they drilled the hole afterward thus needing the cover. The OG vent looks like it was molded with the vent to begin with.

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #2,959 of 7,350
Almost looks like the MEST HK Special +

MEST - 03.jpg

Interesting UM used two vent holes per shell, I wonder how that impacts the bass performance. 🤔

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #2,960 of 7,350
OK, according to Andrew, UM says the metal hats are purely cosmetic, so now we all know. 👍

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,962 of 7,350
One last message from Andrew, anybody who had a metal hat come off can contact him for a replacement MKII, so this should ease any concerns. 😌

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,963 of 7,350
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,964 of 7,350

Just posted my review of the Unique Melody MEST MK2: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/04/unique-melody-mest-mk-2-review.html

tl;dr version:
I had some doubts with what I read about the tuning changes, listened to it, changed my mind. I love the new tuning updates!
Nice review.
Anyway awesome work you are doing with all the measurements and comparisons and the database!
I haven't owned MKI and only have limited IEM experience (only owning Andro Golds) but in comparison I find MK II very holografic - just mentioning cause you wrote that the MKII tend to sound less holografic and more normal to sides and front only.
If you search for my first song example posts in this thread I could definitely hear tones behind my head though the overall presentation was also more intimate so not very far away.
Only holografy experience I have was with some Audeze Isine20 once upon a time ago which were from my memory even more holografic but made you look like a robot or Star Wars Tie fighter docking platform 😉

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #2,965 of 7,350
Nice review.
Anyway awesome work you are doing with all the measurements and comparisons and the database!
I haven't owned MKI and only have limited IEM experience (only owning Andro Golds) but in comparison I find MK II very holografic - just mentioning cause you wrote that the MKII tend to sound less holografic and more normal to sides and front only.
If you search for my first song example posts in this thread I could definitely hear tones behind my head though the overall presentation was also more intimate so not very far away.
Only holografy experience I have was with some Audeze Isine20 once upon a time ago which were from my memory even more holografic but made you look like a robot or Star Wars Tie fighter docking platform 😉
That statement was just in reference to the original MEST universal holographic-isms. Maybe i'll clarify that a little bit better.

Apr 17, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #2,966 of 7,350

Just posted my review of the Unique Melody MEST MK2: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/04/unique-melody-mest-mk-2-review.html

tl;dr version:
I had some doubts with what I read about the tuning changes, listened to it, changed my mind. I love the new tuning updates!
As expected, great review. This definitely helps me better understand the differences between the OG and MKII, but it makes the decision to buy one even harder. For me, the UM MEST is a less of an all arounder and more of a flavor IEM. I listen to it when I want to get that holographic sound stage presentation. As all arounders, I prefer the Thieaudio Monarch and EE Odin since their tuning is more in line with my personal preferences. I think given the way I use the MEST that I am good with the OG version for now. I guess I was looking for you to help me justify purchasing a CIEM.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #2,967 of 7,350
For me, the UM MEST is a less of an all arounder and more of a flavor IEM. I listen to it when I want to get that holographic sound stage presentation.

I would agree with this to a great extent. If all goes as I expect it might I will keep the MKii on hand as my "technical beast" (staging etc.) along with the Elysium as my go-to for emotion and intimacy and the Dorado 2020 for musicality and fun.

Apr 17, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #2,969 of 7,350
I decided to buy the OG Mest again and compare it to the MKII. More to come...
Good time to do it. Lots of them available for cheap at the moment.

Apr 17, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,970 of 7,350
@antdroid Thanks for the review!

I know this is going to be a super subjective question but you're one of the few people whom I believe could possibly provide an answer. Given your experience with the mk1 Universal vs its CIEM version, do you think a CIEM of the mk2 would be worth the additional cost? I generally like the tuning the mk2 is accomplishing and I worry about how my wonky left ear/a CIEM in geral would affect the frequency response.

For background: I mainly use over-ear headphones and these will probably be my only IEM purchase for a number of years. As stated, my left ear can be a bit difficult with fit due to the canal being rather small and at a funky angle, but xelastec tips seemed to provide a decent fit when I tried them with my father's IER-M9. The additional cost also isn't a huge deal for me in the long-run, but I would need to go through the whole audiologist process.

Again, I know this is a super subjective question, but I'm curious where your thoughts lie here, especially as both you and Crin said that the CIEM Mk. 1 was super comfy and ear irritation is something I struggle with. Also, you know, the purple flake CIEM Mk.2 looks sexy as hell...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back