Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,831 of 7,306
Thanks for the advice and comments regarding my debated purchase of the MEST. I've decided for now to go with the Sony IER-M9, I've wanted it for ages and concerned a time will come where it's no longer available, already becoming more difficult to find. The MEST or various iterations of it I've no doubt will still be here in a couple of months when I've the urge/saved up enough cash again...
I was debating the very same choice, but decided to go with the MEST (thank you, Musicteck!). I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the IER-M9, if you decide to share them.

As for the MEST? I'm still fiddling around with tips (neurotically reading all the reports about fit issues got into my head, I think), but these are still such a quantum leap over any gear I've head before, and I catch myself involuntarily smiling like an idiot when listening to them, so that's a good sign, right?

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #1,832 of 7,306
I was debating the very same choice, but decided to go with the MEST (thank you, Musicteck!). I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the IER-M9, if you decide to share them.

As for the MEST? I'm still fiddling around with tips (neurotically reading all the reports about fit issues got into my head, I think), but these are still such a quantum leap over any gear I've head before, and I catch myself involuntarily smiling like an idiot when listening to them, so that's a good sign, right?

I should have my M9 by the weekend, happy to share my thoughts - can't wait for them to arrive!

My recent 'wow' and big smiles has been the DUNU ZEN - followed by more relaxed in the DUNU SA6. I'm keen to hear higher-end warm/neutral and that's one reason I went for the M9... plus I was concerned on the fit issues on the MEST. I've no doubt the addictive urge will kick in soon again and I'll convince myself as to why I absolutely must own the MEST by summertime...

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #1,833 of 7,306
I should have my M9 by the weekend, happy to share my thoughts - can't wait for them to arrive!

My recent 'wow' and big smiles has been the DUNU ZEN - followed by more relaxed in the DUNU SA6. I'm keen to hear higher-end warm/neutral and that's one reason I went for the M9... plus I was concerned on the fit issues on the MEST. I've no doubt the addictive urge will kick in soon again and I'll convince myself as to why I absolutely must own the MEST by summertime...
What was your wow moment with the SA6?

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:24 PM Post #1,834 of 7,306
This may sound crazy but I jumped straight to a custom MEST from the legacy 3, I heard enough sets at canjam to know that I I needed to spend some money to get what I needed out of a set. “Bad guy good audio reviews” seems accurate about how he reviews IEM’s so I let him lead the way, and I must say I have no regrets, happy customer.

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #1,835 of 7,306
This may sound crazy but I jumped straight to a custom MEST from the legacy 3, I heard enough sets at canjam to know that I I needed to spend some money to get what I needed out of a set. “Bad guy good audio reviews” seems accurate about how he reviews IEM’s so I let him lead the way, and I must say I have no regrets, happy customer.
Honestly, I think you saved yourself a fair bit of time and money. It's easy to keep spending on the lower priced items every couple of months but that all adds up. I mean, it's fun, don't get me wrong. But if you just bought some mid to top tier stuff at the start, despite the daunting price, you'd actually end up spending less overall.
Enjoy enjoy!

Mar 3, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #1,836 of 7,306
Honestly, I think you saved yourself a fair bit of time and money. It's easy to keep spending on the lower priced items every couple of months but that all adds up. I mean, it's fun, don't get me wrong. But if you just bought some mid to top tier stuff at the start, despite the daunting price, you'd actually end up spending less overall.
Enjoy enjoy!
Agreed, i got into audio about 2 years ago, now that I regret, who would of known it could be so costly lol

Mar 4, 2021 at 2:35 AM Post #1,838 of 7,306
What was your wow moment with the SA6?

The wow was directed more at the ZEN - my first more expensive IEM and I was blown away by the SQ. The SA6 however really impressed me in that I was a bit concerned being all BA and that it might not deliver on bass - more than happy with it and I actually listen more now than the ZEN, I'm finding it suits a wider spread of genres, less fatiguing for longer sessions and more forgiving of older and lower quality recordings. For 'wow' moments, especially with hi-res electronic music, I pop my ZEN in again.

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #1,839 of 7,306
Just my $0.02 on these baddies:

I've had the MEST now for a couple weeks and I've been blown away. I am not the most experienced listener but these seem to combine a bit of the intoxicating/addictive bass of my EE Bravado and the incredible spaciousness and detail of my EE Zeus(Massdrop cheepnis edition). Fantastic for rock, metal, pop, electronic, hip-hop. For more acoustic based stuff I'll be sticking with my Zeus. These have an almost non-fatiguing listen with those ESTs sizzlin' softly. Sometimes I might be turning them up just a bit too loud to get that "bone conductor" to fill in the upper mids properly and that could have contributed to the couple times I've needed a break. To me they're super comfy using my default Comply isolation tips - I rarely have fit issues with IEMs. These have taken over from my ER4 for my daily driver. The only problem is that while these are a fun, friendly tuning, I sometimes end up so lost in the music I forget what I'm working on :)

And how can I talk about these without mentioning how I purchased these? Andrew at Musicteck has been awesome - ridiculously fast shipping and great old-fashioned high-touch customer service.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #1,840 of 7,306
Just my $0.02 on these baddies:

I've had the MEST now for a couple weeks and I've been blown away. I am not the most experienced listener but these seem to combine a bit of the intoxicating/addictive bass of my EE Bravado and the incredible spaciousness and detail of my EE Zeus(Massdrop cheepnis edition). Fantastic for rock, metal, pop, electronic, hip-hop. For more acoustic based stuff I'll be sticking with my Zeus. These have an almost non-fatiguing listen with those ESTs sizzlin' softly. Sometimes I might be turning them up just a bit too loud to get that "bone conductor" to fill in the upper mids properly and that could have contributed to the couple times I've needed a break. To me they're super comfy using my default Comply isolation tips - I rarely have fit issues with IEMs. These have taken over from my ER4 for my daily driver. The only problem is that while these are a fun, friendly tuning, I sometimes end up so lost in the music I forget what I'm working on :)

And how can I talk about these without mentioning how I purchased these? Andrew at Musicteck has been awesome - ridiculously fast shipping and great old-fashioned high-touch customer service.
Yea I must say Andrew is the man

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:33 PM Post #1,841 of 7,306
MKii (1 - 1)-2.jpg

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #1,842 of 7,306
Mar 10, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #1,844 of 7,306
Different shell, azla sedna tips included, different tuning, possibly different/more/less driver, different cable, + $100 from the original,

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #1,845 of 7,306
Different shell, azla sedna tips included, different tuning, possibly different/more/less driver, different cable, + $100 from the original,
What matters most is what does it sound like? What did UM try and improve, and....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back