Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Aug 29, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #466 of 7,333
I own the mason v3+ and that my reference ba iem. Can't wait try the mest.

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #468 of 7,333
P1040578.JPGP1040579.JPG

Some people said the video I posted last week of the mini Mest was lacking some good close ups of the shell, so I took some stills this weekend.

While this model does have a bit more of a generic tuning, I am enjoying it as it has some traits that do make it stand out from others -- mainly I think resolution and coherency is pretty solid for this lower price point and I find it does have pretty good bass response for not having dynamic drivers. I have loaner demo units of the Vision Ears EVE20, Solaris 2020, and Final A8000 with me right now as well, and I've been finding myself reaching for the Mini MEST over those higher priced units more.

It doesn't beat out the regular MEST though - I still find that IEM a solid combination of unique tuning, high technical performance, and excitement.

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #469 of 7,333
Lol, I watched that great review too. I'm really glad that he likes MEST JP. IMO, the differences between JP and the standard version are not that big, mainly in the upper frequency tho.
In the future, there is a large chance that we will release a MEST special edition that will only be available for the western community (like the JP version for Japan). The tonality for the MEST SE will suit more towards the popular genres in the West. I have made a simple wordcloud from the data I collected in the past surveys. I hope that makes sense.
MEST_genres.png
Please advise which version, JP or International is best for classical, esp. orchestral, music and thanks!

Aug 31, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #470 of 7,333
Please advise which version, JP or International is best for classical, esp. orchestral, music and thanks!
The original (international) version is better IMO. Because it is more balanced, has more sub-bass, which I think suites better with classical, symphony, and large orchestra.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Aug 31, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #471 of 7,333
The original (international) version is better IMO. Because it is more balanced, has more sub-bass, which I think suites better with classical, symphony, and large orchestra.
Thanks for the prompt reply. In your view, which is the best UM product for symphonic music? Also, do you have a product being released in the near future to compete with what you've achieved with the BC driver in the MEST? Thanks.

Aug 31, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #472 of 7,333
From the price point I believe the mason v3+ is far better than the MEST? I'm waiting for my MeST to be shipped out due to low stock.

Well, I haven't heard the Mason v3+, but I've reviewed its predecessor the Mason v3 and read reviews of the newer v3+ to familiarise myself with the differences between the two.

I wouldn't say the Mason v3+ is likely to be 'far better' than the MEST. It could be possible, sure, but I would imagine that's unlikely :)
Generally, as you move into the top of the line (TOTL) gear, the law of diminishing returns increasingly applies.
You can spend $1000 more for a 5% improvement, or even just a 2% improvement. It's up to each individual whether this is a rabbit hole they want to go down :D

Also, I think the MEST and Mason v3+ have rather different tunings and strengths, so it's not so much a question of 'better' as a question of 'what are your sound signature preferences', and then discovering which IEM satisfies your particular tastes :)
And of course, for many people, they like to have different IEMs for different moods/genres.

Personally, I love the impact, slam and tactility in the timbre that a well-tuned dynamic driver can bring, so I hugely enjoy the MEST.
I loved the Mason v3 though too, and if I had it now, it would still have a valuable place in my collection.

I don't think you need to have any buyer's remorse or anything; the MEST is a great IEM in its own right, but the fact that it costs half of what some other TOTL IEMs cost, with a comparable performance is a huge bonus and makes it money well-spent :)

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #473 of 7,333
Well, I haven't heard the Mason v3+, but I've reviewed its predecessor the Mason v3 and read reviews of the newer v3+ to familiarise myself with the differences between the two.

I wouldn't say the Mason v3+ is likely to be 'far better' than the MEST. It could be possible, sure, but I would imagine that's unlikely :)
Generally, as you move into the top of the line (TOTL) gear, the law of diminishing returns increasingly applies.
You can spend $1000 more for a 5% improvement, or even just a 2% improvement. It's up to each individual whether this is a rabbit hole they want to go down :D

Also, I think the MEST and Mason v3+ have rather different tunings and strengths, so it's not so much a question of 'better' as a question of 'what are your sound signature preferences', and then discovering which IEM satisfies your particular tastes :)
And of course, for many people, they like to have different IEMs for different moods/genres.

Personally, I love the impact, slam and tactility in the timbre that a well-tuned dynamic driver can bring, so I hugely enjoy the MEST.
I loved the Mason v3 though too, and if I had it now, it would still have a valuable place in my collection.

I don't think you need to have any buyer's remorse or anything; the MEST is a great IEM in its own right, but the fact that it costs half of what some other TOTL IEMs cost, with a comparable performance is a huge bonus and makes it money well-spent :)
Very well said. But isn't it also a truism that the full splendor of the MEST can only truly be attested to via CIEM due to the supposed full impact of the BC driver?

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #474 of 7,333
Very well said. But isn't it also a truism that the full splendor of the MEST can only truly be attested to via CIEM due to the supposed full impact of the BC driver?

Well, again, since I haven't experienced the CIEM (custom IEM) version myself, I can only speculate.
But since when has that ever stopped us on Head-Fi eh? :joy:
I think it depends on the degree to which one can get skin contact using regular universals.
Some experimentation with tips would (as always) be advisable.

From our helpful Rep's comments on here previously, my impression (which could be utterly wrong!) is that the Bone Conduction driver is predominantly about bringing coherence, with a comparatively small part of its contribution being physical/tactile.
Shall we call it 'the BCD' from now on? I never started a trend before, and I want to be one of the cool guys too :ksc75smile:
Besides, 'Bone Conduction driver' is a bit of an effort to type, don't you know, and plus I really feel there's not enough confusing acronyms on Head-Fi already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Aug 31, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #475 of 7,333
Well, again, since I haven't experienced the CIEM (custom IEM) version myself, I can only speculate.
I think it depends on the degree to which one can get skin contact using regular universals.

From our helpful Rep's comments on here previously, my impression (which could be utterly wrong!) is that the Bone Conduction driver is predominantly about bringing coherence, with a comparatively small part of its contribution being physical/tactile.
Shall we call it 'the BCD' from now on? I never started a trend before, and I want to be one of the cool guys too :ksc75smile:
Besides, 'Bone Conduction driver' is a bit of an effort to type, don't you know, and plus I really feel there's not enough confusing acronyms on Head-Fi already :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Excellent...and 'BCD' is certainly the way to go...)

Aug 31, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #476 of 7,333

If I were to purchase the MEST ciem and warm-up the mids with a copper cable such as Eletech SOCRATES do you think the V signature would be augmented sufficiently to compete with the ODIN in symphonic music? Just curious...)

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #477 of 7,333
Today's theme seems to be "ask Layman1 to answer questions on products he's never actually heard" :joy:

Still, never let it be said that Layman1 failed to manfully face a challenge head-on, or laugh in the face of 1% odds! :wink:

In my defence, I have read every single post EVARRR on the Odin and the Socrates, so I can at least pass along some expertly-curated secondhand advice :)

However, before I do, I would like to ask a couple of quick questions to ensure an at least vaguely appropriate answer:

1) What do you feel are the necessary IEM characteristics to make an IEM perform wonderfully with symphonic music?

2) Do you have any sensitivity to peaky upper mids or treble?

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #478 of 7,333
Today's theme seems to be "ask Layman1 to answer questions on products he's never actually heard" :joy:

Still, never let it be said that Layman1 failed to manfully face a challenge head-on, or laugh in the face of 1% odds! :wink:

In my defence, I have read every single post EVARRR on the Odin and the Socrates, so I can at least pass along some expertly-curated secondhand advice :)

However, before I do, I would like to ask a couple of quick questions to ensure an at least vaguely appropriate answer:

1) What do you feel are the necessary IEM characteristics to make an IEM perform wonderfully with symphonic music?

2) Do you have any sensitivity to peaky upper mids or treble?
You're most amusing....)...that being said, my experience is limited to the ZEUS XR w/ADEL and the SOLARIS, bright, extended treble is always welcome, warm, sonorous mids and bass that can do justice to lower strings in an orchestra, I listen to jazz vocals, rock and EDM as well but my primary focus is sensational, large symphonic statements via Mahler, Bruckner and Shostakovich. Of course, ELYSIUM has been mentioned to me as well...but you seem like a bright and thoughtful guy so your input would be most welcome!

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:22 AM Post #479 of 7,333
FR graph comparison between Int Version vs JP version is on HBB's YT community page if anyone interested!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back