Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Aug 26, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #451 of 7,333
@UniqueMelody I assume the recessed 2 pin and more custom-like shape of the JP version was to accommodate for the tuning difference? I much prefer the design of the JP over the Int ver.
Well, tuning is a more complex thing than what we might think. The shape does affect the sound, apparently, the original MEST uses titanium nozzle and JP version uses carbon fiber nozzle and that will affect the sound too. As UM's rep, I need to be responsible for both the company and customers, so I have to make something clear. The original MEST uses a premium cable, thus it has more "material value"; the JP version is specially toned for Japnese audiences, so it has more "niche value". So wisely, I would suggest all potential buyers do enough research and/or ask me for more info before making your final purchase. I don't want to see one single UM customer spends lots of money but gets the wrong model.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Aug 27, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #453 of 7,333
The First Lady says: BE BEST, MEST BEST

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:06 AM Post #454 of 7,333
I just jumped off my shortbus and ordered a MEST.
Reading through the thread, I REALLY hope I can get a good fit with the universal because if not.. Sadeyes.

MEST has a relatively deep insertion, so certain tips are likely to work better for you than others.

What other IEMs have you used, and which tips (and in which sizes) worked best for you?
If we know that, we can probably suggest ones that can help you :)

Aug 27, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #455 of 7,333
Well, tuning is a more complex thing than what we might think. The shape does affect the sound, apparently, the original MEST uses titanium nozzle and JP version uses carbon fiber nozzle and that will affect the sound too. As UM's rep, I need to be responsible for both the company and customers, so I have to make something clear. The original MEST uses a premium cable, thus it has more "material value"; the JP version is specially toned for Japnese audiences, so it has more "niche value". So wisely, I would suggest all potential buyers do enough research and/or ask me for more info before making your final purchase. I don't want to see one single UM customer spends lots of money but gets the wrong model.

REALLY good to read a comment like this; lots of companies talk the talk about caring for their customers, but this post demonstrates it in practice :thumbsup: :)

Aug 27, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #456 of 7,333
MEST has a relatively deep insertion, so certain tips are likely to work better for you than others.

What other IEMs have you used, and which tips (and in which sizes) worked best for you?
If we know that, we can probably suggest ones that can help you :)

Thanks! So I have tiny ear canals which is why I am a little scared. If I use Senda Earfits I need to use the SS size (super small). Generally for other iems I use either comply small or medium depending on the actual bore size. So Shuoer EJ07 I use the SS sendas, and/or comply smalls. Fearless Dawn, Medium compys.

Probably not ideal.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #457 of 7,333
Thanks! So I have tiny ear canals which is why I am a little scared. If I use Senda Earfits I need to use the SS size (super small). Generally for other iems I use either comply small or medium depending on the actual bore size. So Shuoer EJ07 I use the SS sendas, and/or comply smalls. Fearless Dawn, Medium compys.

Probably not ideal.

I have small ear canals too as you know. It fits fine. I use azla light small and ss tips with it. I also like small double flange tips too (dunno brand - i think its newbee).

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #458 of 7,333

Probably not ideal.

Fit is all relative. I have small ear canals as well and I've never been able to get a great fit with MEST. That is why the JP version appeals to me (in shell design at least) as the shell looks to be more "custom" shaped.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #459 of 7,333
I've generally stayed way from UM products for the price range they usually sit in. Reception seemed to be over the place, but the MEST seemed promising for the price. It warms my heart to see you not encouraging people to blind buy expensive products.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #460 of 7,333
I'll just say I jumped on this partly because hype is rising but mostly because I've gotten messages from folks saying the MEST is next level awesome. So naturally I must try it. If it doesn't work out, my bad. Nothing on the IEM itself.

Aug 27, 2020 at 11:19 PM Post #461 of 7,333
Review up soon. All Ill say so far is MEST = Best. Amen.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #462 of 7,333
I have small ear canals too as you know. It fits fine. I use azla light small and ss tips with it. I also like small double flange tips too (dunno brand - i think its newbee).
Where did you managed to purchase the JP set? Thank you.

Aug 28, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #463 of 7,333
Aug 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #464 of 7,333
@antdroid holding out for MEST vs Mini MEST compatisons. Leneo and Corn gave it a thumbs down on the podcast.

Aug 29, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #465 of 7,333

Users who are viewing this thread

Back