Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 24, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #121 of 7,310
I have a couple of impressions for the UM Mest.

After listening to the UM for 7 days, I have noticed that I couldn't part ways with the UM Mest so easily. Yes. The sound quality is that good. The detail retrieval is top-notch. The oBravo Cupid and UM Mest are fairly similar in that department, but that's all they have in common. The sound signature of the oBravo Cupid is quite dry in comparison to the UM Mest. So the oBravo Cupid sounds artificial by comparison. The UM Mest is full of life, emotion, and energy. Yet it keeps its energy under control. As for the soundstage, it's quite large. Definitely above average. Plus there's lots of air flowing across the stage and this breathes life into the music. As for the bass, there's a moderate amount of quantity and the texture is smooth, yet the impact is solid. The detail pops out because of the octaves. They are quite coherent. It's very easy to hear the distinct octaves. Bass guitar performance is excellent. Especially with bass-centric soundtracks. The mids are forward. Not too forward. The clarity and transparency are excellent and the vocals are lifelike. The treble is also moderately extended. I don't hear a roll-off of any sort. I do hear a brilliance of some sort. A brilliance that's faint which makes the atmosphere shimmer, including treble.

As for the gripes:

I couldn't wear the UM Mest for extended periods of time. This is because the earpieces were a bit big for my ears. It wasn't extremely uncomfortable, but it did give me slight discomfort after an hour and a half or so. I need to mention that my ears are super small. So that's probably why I felt slight discomfort.

Another gripe I have is the left connector. I don't know if it's a universal thing for removable cables, but the left connector is more difficult to remove. While the right connector is perfect. It's not too hard or not too easy to remove. The resistance from the left connector makes me nervous when I attempt to remove it from the left earpiece.

IMG_20200422_183335_290.jpgIMG_20200422_183335_292.jpg

IMG_20200422_183335_298.jpg

IMG_20200422_183335_297.jpg

IMG_20200422_183335_324.jpg

IMG_20200422_183335_306.jpg
Pretty good First impression, fingers X as I hope they would be part of my arsenal. Mine are the Reds.

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #124 of 7,310
Apr 27, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #126 of 7,310
Writing my thoughts as i listen to these from the loaner tour. I have them paired with an effects thor+ cable and will try the copper later. I have auditioned the UM Maven v2 and i thought that had one of the best treble presentations ive ever heard.

I always use a testbed song from 36 Crazyfists - Bloodwork. If you are a fan of drums i suggest giving it a shot on whatever iems you use. At the 15 second mark you should hear hi-hat chicks. Like the Maven, the separation on those hats is just world-class. No headphone has produced it like UM Maven does and ive heard the entire a64 series, empire ears, noble and a lot of other big dogs. The closest to this reproduction was the Anole VX.

Anyway, the Mest have a real clean background. Sound stage is above-average. Nothing bleeds into any section. Separation is very good. The top-end, as mentioned, is fantastic. However,it may cause some discomfort with those treble sensitive at higher volumes as it is for me (tinnitus). I feel like the mids or overall presentation is slightly recessed. The mids have air to them and fall in the middle of thin and thick. Bass extension down low is a little odd for me but these could be due to the MEST not having overpowering bass/quantity. It seems soft and missing definition on kick drums at times.

Really nice pair of iems and with MusicTecks 15% of these become even more appealing.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #127 of 7,310
Writing my thoughts as i listen to these from the loaner tour. I have them paired with an effects thor+ cable and will try the copper later. I have auditioned the UM Maven v2 and i thought that had one of the best treble presentations ive ever heard.

I always use a testbed song from 36 Crazyfists - Bloodwork. If you are a fan of drums i suggest giving it a shot on whatever iems you use. At the 15 second mark you should hear hi-hat chicks. Like the Maven, the separation on those hats is just world-class. No headphone has produced it like UM Maven does and ive heard the entire a64 series, empire ears, noble and a lot of other big dogs. The closest to this reproduction was the Anole VX.

Anyway, the Mest have a real clean background. Sound stage is above-average. Nothing bleeds into any section. Separation is very good. The top-end, as mentioned, is fantastic. However,it may cause some discomfort with those treble sensitive at higher volumes as it is for me (tinnitus). I feel like the mids or overall presentation is slightly recessed. The mids have air to them and fall in the middle of thin and thick. Bass extension down low is a little odd for me but these could be due to the MEST not having overpowering bass/quantity. It seems soft and missing definition on kick drums at times.

Really nice pair of iems and with MusicTecks 15% of these become even more appealing.

Apr 28, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #128 of 7,310
Can’t wait, I will revive my UM MEST tomorrow to compare with my EE legend X I received this Tuesday.
since I’m on house Arrest I might as well enjoy it. God bless you all.

Eagerly awaiting your comparison between MEST and the LX (Legend X). Most interested in the comparison of the mids. I read the that some say the mids on the LX is lacking and recessed. However listening to my LX I don't think so. I'm still on the fence if I should jump on the MEST . One impression says the MEST is the most visceral bass he's ever heard. Not sure if he heard the LX though. Would also be interested in comparison in that regard.

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #129 of 7,310
ive been listening to both going back and forth given each a Few hours run in time, I purchased both the same week first Legend then Mest, honestly I love them both for different reason. The LX is a bit warmer and have a dark background which translates to quietness between notes. instruments that are pulled, hit, tapped or touch seems very different than my other IEM in my arsenal, yeah I have lots of them, the bass is deep and noticeable no way you can ignore It, but the bass is clean, deep Articulate with a roundness with definition which you can feel. The midrange is clear, actually very clear indeed and the treble extends higher than most. Two super tweeters I believe is credited for that. Now I have also used different players so It depends on that as well. I due believe in breaking time of all moving mechanical parts. I can’t understand fully how some say that is For bass heads and it sounds dull or recessed. NO way due I feel it does, straight up I can send these back today but I will Never do that. I’m keeping these, yes it doesn’t have the ballanice like Mest and others but the LX is awesome in many key areas. Bass, midrange and high frequency is lovely. I notice that using Tidal master song via M11PRO+Effect Eros2 plus LX is really freaking good That I almost broke night listening, Lol. The MEST is oh boy, so interesting from a design standpoint and performance it’s a killer iem. It’s so comfy on the ears one can listen for hours at a time. The sound is awesome. Deep powerful bass, clear and detail midrange and a high frequency to die for. EST drivers handles the ultra high notes. I’m still breaking them in as I believe so far both are amazing to own and a pleasure to listen to.
im thinking neutral-warn dap for the MEST and Neutral to bright for the LX or maybe a excellent recording and source is all one needs and these really deserve it cause they scale way up as much as your front end can put out. I’m kinda old school as my main setup is my 2 channel RIG! Which I’ve invested over two decades in. But headphones and Dap thing been with me since the mid 80’s. recently After CanJan I purchased the TiaTrio, Tux5 at CJ, then Vega and finally a month ago AndtoV2 so those need some love as well. Time will tell which one goes in what order, Thank you all for your impressions and reviews something I really never got into with great passion. I do love music played thru an awesome setup though.

[/QUOTE

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #130 of 7,310
I will continue listening to all recent iem I have and will compare them to each other. I do understand no iem is perfect and that’s part of this wonderful hobby. I listen to all sorts of music I really have a broad
taste in genre which I use to my benefit and satisfaction. Life is short throw on headsets and listen to music.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #131 of 7,310
Eagerly awaiting your comparison between MEST and the LX (Legend X). Most interested in the comparison of the mids. I read the that some say the mids on the LX is lacking and recessed. However listening to my LX I don't think so. I'm still on the fence if I should jump on the MEST . One impression says the MEST is the most visceral bass he's ever heard. Not sure if he heard the LX though. Would also be interested in comparison in that regard.
From my experience with both the Mest and the LX, I can tell you that are quite the opposite.
The LX has some of the strongest bass around while this one area that the Mest is lacking, on the other side the Mest is quite bright, for sure brighter than the LX.
Mids wise, I prefer the LX, but take into consideration that I have an LX custom and tried the universal Mest, different tips open the bass and improve (for me) the overall signature.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #132 of 7,310
Are there other comparative impressions relative to other common IEMs, Andro/Solaris, IER-Z1R, 64 Audio stuff, or even UM Maverick/Mason? Thanks!

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #133 of 7,310
Are there other comparative impressions relative to other common IEMs, Andro/Solaris, IER-Z1R, 64 Audio stuff, or even UM Maverick/Mason? Thanks!
I agree with Kubig123, That LX and MEST do sound different and opposite in sound signature, to me they both sound wonderful but nothing like my AndroV2 or Solaris. I own the new Andro and Solaris listening done at CanJam but mostly in a quiet place like Audio46. To me LX has a warmer sound and deeper bass than MEST, the top end is truly extended on the Legends which compliments the very detail midrange. Once I removed the well made LX stock cable made by Effect Audio, actually Eres2 to a PW No.10 the sound change to a fuller darker presentation with bigger fuller bass impact and the highs less Extended or brighter which is what a lot of people hear. I love the LX. The MEST are a bit more spacious in terms of soundstage, instruments are a bit in there own space the high are some of the best I’ve heard. The tonal balance on the Mest is better. Both have really good PRAT, very detail and attack though I find the Mest a bit slower or less snappy once an instrument is played, we all hear differently and You gotta get the right ear Tips and for me I got the best dynamic sound from both at louder volume levels as Both are less sensitive than say Andro and Solaris. CanJam is not the best place to listen to IEMs it’s better at a dealer.
i can never settle on only one ear sets but that’s just me. I change cables all the time and experiment with ear tips and the such. one thing I’m not a big fan of is EQ settings, my big stereo/AV system is perfect without EQ, only a little room treatment is all it’s needed.

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #134 of 7,310
I agree with Kubig123, That LX and MEST do sound different and opposite in sound signature, to me they both sound wonderful but nothing like my AndroV2 or Solaris. I own the new Andro and Solaris listening done at CanJam but mostly in a quiet place like Audio46. To me LX has a warmer sound and deeper bass than MEST, the top end is truly extended on the Legends which compliments the very detail midrange. Once I removed the well made LX stock cable made by Effect Audio, actually Eres2 to a PW No.10 the sound change to a fuller darker presentation with bigger fuller bass impact and the highs less Extended or brighter which is what a lot of people hear. I love the LX. The MEST are a bit more spacious in terms of soundstage, instruments are a bit in there own space the high are some of the best I’ve heard. The tonal balance on the Mest is better. Both have really good PRAT, very detail and attack though I find the Mest a bit slower or less snappy once an instrument is played, we all hear differently and You gotta get the right ear Tips and for me I got the best dynamic sound from both at louder volume levels as Both are less sensitive than say Andro and Solaris. CanJam is not the best place to listen to IEMs it’s better at a dealer.
i can never settle on only one ear sets but that’s just me. I change cables all the time and experiment with ear tips and the such. one thing I’m not a big fan of is EQ settings, my big stereo/AV system is perfect without EQ, only a little room treatment is all it’s needed.

I appreciate your impressions. I can see what you mean with EA Ares II and PW Audio cable. I have Ares 4, 8, and PW No5 and PW generally gives me meatier sound on my Oriolus Mk2.

This is looking like a must try item! Thanks!

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #135 of 7,310
The Empire Ears Legend X and UM MEST sound different, but what they have in common is deep powerful bass and they top end is fully extended some of the best I’ve heard for sure. One is a bit warmer and darker and the other the MEST is neutral bright I guess. I Remember hearing at CanJam NYC some of the AME iem with I believe EST or Electric ultra high Drivers and them things where killing my ears they sound thin in the midrange an extremely ”Bright” m not a fan of that sound. Again trade shows are not an ideal listening room. It’s better in your living room. Also everyone has his or her own opinion on how a setup sounds best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back