Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jul 1, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #5,671 of 7,306
since my review take age to do (so so wordy)....i decide to share UM MEXT comparison against 3 other IEM.
I really adore the Mext, especially since i find right eartips and understand the fit need to be a bit deep so OBC driver work at its full potential....the sound presentation is so exotic and singular yet utterly cohesive....that this is why it take me weeks to complete the review...this happen with IEM i love the most...in the sens, i get so immerse and fullfill in extremely rich and detailed musicality of the Mext that i forget about everything else.
Stack used for this very comparisons=SMSL SU-9 ES9038pro DAC+SMSL SH-9 THX amplifier.

UM MEXT COMPARISONS

VS FINAL A8000 (1xPure Beryllium DD-2000$)

This is my personal end game IEM, and it isn't a normal dynamic driver IEM, the DD in this is just insane in technical performance and having heard other flagship IEM like the Andromeda, UM Mest MK2 and 64audio U12T, i can assure you they have nothing to envy from them both in tonality and technicalities....so how the 2 times cheaper Mext will compare with it's 6 drivers?

Well, firstly, the A8000 is more bright and agressive as well as more treble centric energic W shape. The Mext have more boosted sub bass, yet bass quality of the A8000 is notably better, both in attack speed and control, timbral balance and texture and clean fully extended lower extension, definition is better sculpted and have more mid bass punch and kick drum presence. A8000 offer best bass response I ever heard, and it's not a shame to not be able to win in this department, so it's time for the Mext revange with it's special midrange that is way more foward in presence, making the A8000 feel very recessed suddenly even if a bit more meaty for male vocal, everything else is more upfront with the Mext and not as boosted in upper mids, which can create rare instance of sibilance with female vocal with A8000. Mid range resolution is higher but timbre is a hint thinner, as well, vocal have more breathyness and are a hint more natural due to less magnify texture micro details. Note weight go to A8000, piano sounding fuller and heavier in mid section, yet not as crisply resolve and clean in definition.

The treble is an intense combat here since both excell in this department, the Mext have a more delicate and snappy treble, not as sparkly and full sounding as the A8000, which have more chunky crunch too. Again, the Mext deliver higher level of micro details, timbre texture is less abrasive and bright and overall presentation is more articulated in precise definition of each sound. Acoustic guitar have longer resonance with the A8000, as well as fuller harmonic, yet sens of immediacy is greater with the Mext.
When it come to soundstage, A8000 is wider but less tall and deep, the imaging of the Mext is crisper and more accurate and precise but a bit more condensed in sound info since it add more layers to spatial occupation.

All in all, mid and treble technical performance are superior with the Mext, but bass quality is better with A8000 as well as timbre more natural and dense, offering a less exotic yet more realistically cohesive musicality.

VS FIIO FH7 (1DD+4BAs-500$)

Again, FH7 is more W shape and agressive, brighter in timbre and more wonky in tonal balance, it feel shoutier and harsher than Mext which is very smooth near warm compared to FH7.
Bass of FH7 is more focus on mid low, with faster tighter punch, it feel more detached from the mids and treble, less warm and euphonic. Sub bass is more rolled off and timbre is dryer with FH7 too.

Mids are unbearable compared to the Mext, way brighter and more sibilant, more compressed and centered, so less wide and well define in presence, vocal are more upfront with the Mext yet smoother, more textured, more transparent and less shouty.
Treble is notably more spiky and agressive with FH7....man, after this comparison i'm not sure to be able to love my FH7 again and it's very sad, but this can be explain by my hearing evolution too which is now more sensible to spike and harshness....but let say details are scream at you, with fuzzy grainy sustain which can get messy with busy track while the Mext offer higher number of micro details, all well separated and free of loudness imbalance and fatigue.

Soundstage is notably wider, taller and deeper with the Mext, offering a more clean, accurate and precise imaging too, since transparency is not saturated like the FH7, only the bass instrument can be darker and harder to pin point, mostly bass hit like toms, kick drum.

All in all, it wasn't a fair fight due to the Mext being 2 times pricier, but one thing sure the sound benefit are on the high side with the Mext and justify an urgent upgrade for a similar W shape tonality but way more cohesive, smooth and musical tonality as well as from another league in term of technical performance.

VS KINERA URD (2DD+2EST+1BA-600$)

First difference that hit me is in soudstage presentation, which is drastically different in spatial cue as well as notably wider and taller, but with scooped middle presence that add sens of openess yet make it more stereo sounding and less immersive and holographic than Mext. Imaging is less precise and fully restitue with the Urd, mid range instruments are difficult to spot which is one of highlight of the Mext.

This surely can be explain by 2 factor, the use of OBC driver to extrack presence of mid range as well as a different tonal balance that is more W shape and lean with the Mext while more U shape and warm with the Urd.
Strangely, the bass is a bit similar here, warm sub bass focused slam, round and heavy in hit but not very fast or precise, here the Mext have a hint better define presence due to slightly more textured bass while URD is bassier and a bit more dynamic in impact, perhaps faster too since fast chuncky kick is better articulate.
Mids are notably more recessed with the Urd, warmer and darker, a bit denser in timbre but more liquid too and lacking in definition edge make it more blurry and muddy, resolution of Mext being miles ahead here and offering both male and female vocal with more fowarded presence as well as crisper more accurate imaging as stated above.
The treble is brighter with the Mext, yet deliver higher amount of detail in a more balanced way while the URD focus on upper treble snap and air, boosting micro details a bit and offering a more delicate and coloured treble, with darker lower treble, so it feel half cook compared to more analytical Mext.

Here, tonality is so different it's hard to choose a winner, URD is more laid back and bassier so it might be less distracting or fatiguing for long listening, technicaly it's inferior in all department and feel less full sounding due to lot of darkened part in treble and mids section. Guilty pleasure for the Urd here, while confident pleasure for the Mext.

1656700805079.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:43 PM Post #5,673 of 7,306
Jul 4, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #5,674 of 7,306
the FS is terrific

Jul 6, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #5,675 of 7,306
Can anyone compare the International and Japanese/HK Mest Mk1? I was gunning for the JP version for a long time but someone told me that apparently some people claimed it sounds low-res and congested compared to the International version.

Please, I beg for help :p

Jul 6, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #5,676 of 7,306
Phew!!
I’ve been such a happy Mest Mk2 listener since the day they came out. But sadly like all audiophiles, I’m sometimes left with a small niggling doubt … “those guitars could be better separated” “the decay on those cymbals is good but …”.
Recently tried the Odins with no success. I was pretty surprised after all their good press.
Anyway … today received my Mest Indigo and I’m very glad to report that they’re a notable improvement in many ways over Mest 2. So happy after about 4h listening!
I’d read several write ups suggesting less treble, warmer bass … but nothing about the comparisons in clarity detail or layering between the two models.
Needless to say it’s been like lifting a veil already on most recordings. Just what I’d hoped for!
I’ll be doing more detailed A/B comparisons over coming weeks. I also think there’s actually more treble (dual electro stats after all so should be!) which is exactly what I kinda hoped for. Anyways, hoping to post more useful comparison info in coming weeks. 👍

Jul 6, 2022 at 7:45 PM Post #5,677 of 7,306
Phew!!
I’ve been such a happy Mest Mk2 listener since the day they came out. But sadly like all audiophiles, I’m sometimes left with a small niggling doubt … “those guitars could be better separated” “the decay on those cymbals is good but …”.
Recently tried the Odins with no success. I was pretty surprised after all their good press.
Anyway … today received my Mest Indigo and I’m very glad to report that they’re a notable improvement in many ways over Mest 2. So happy after about 4h listening!
I’d read several write ups suggesting less treble, warmer bass … but nothing about the comparisons in clarity detail or layering between the two models.
Needless to say it’s been like lifting a veil already on most recordings. Just what I’d hoped for!
I’ll be doing more detailed A/B comparisons over coming weeks. I also think there’s actually more treble (dual electro stats after all so should be!) which is exactly what I kinda hoped for. Anyways, hoping to post more useful comparison info in coming weeks. 👍
have you tried the OG vs the Indigo ??

Jul 7, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #5,678 of 7,306
I started with the OG but upgraded it to the Mk2. I appreciated the added warmth the Mk2 gave me in the mid bass. No A/B comparison therefore possible any more sorry

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #5,679 of 7,306
Converting my universal Mest 2 to customs made me appreciate everything I loved about them a little more. I am not an IEM person and that has to do with the constant fidgeting and discomfort with universals. Getting customs is the single best decision I have made in my audiophile journey and now I can’t wait to try others. I am really intrigued by Indigos but don’t want something too similar to Mest Mk2 so hope to try them at CANJAM.

@UniqueMelody Are you coming to London CANJAM?

Attachments

• 3DD60EA4-AFD9-45D6-8C6D-CAF93AFE4546.jpeg
    3DD60EA4-AFD9-45D6-8C6D-CAF93AFE4546.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #5,680 of 7,306
Converting my universal Mest 2 to customs made me appreciate everything I loved about them a little more. I am not an IEM person and that has to do with the constant fidgeting and discomfort with universals. Getting customs is the single best decision I have made in my audiophile journey and now I can’t wait to try others. I am really intrigued by Indigos but don’t want something too similar to Mest Mk2 so hope to try them at CANJAM.

@UniqueMelody Are you coming to London CANJAM?
Me myself won't be there, but I have a audiophile friend in London, let me know which model or models you want to try, I will ship one set to him and you can possibly those models from him.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jul 8, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #5,682 of 7,306
@UniqueMelody if you could help me, is there a difference in separation and technicalities (like holographic effect) between the international and Japanese version of the original MEST?
They are very similar. But due to the JP version has a leaner sound and a more prompt mid treble, it has a better sense of separation both horizontally and vertically.

Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jul 8, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #5,683 of 7,306
Me myself won't be there, but I have a audiophile friend in London, let me know which model or models you want to try, I will ship one set to him and you can possibly those models from him.
Thanks for this. I have sent you a PM

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #5,684 of 7,306
I have been listening to my new MEST Indigo last 2 days, it sounds sublime! destroys my previous iems completely (u6t, ie900, monarch).

i use a L&P W2 as my source atm, if anyones got recommendations to what to use let me know :) i think i might demo the chord mojo 2 soon.

Jul 9, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #5,685 of 7,306
My detailed UM MEXT review is finally done.
Spoiler: I adore them.

You can find it on my No Borders Audiophile review blog HERE
And on headfi HERE
THE PLUS:
-Smooth crisp and immersive musicality
-Exceptional resolution
-Organically Cohesive tribrid tuning
-Richly detailed mid-range with focused presence
-Fast snappy treble with tremendous micro-details amount
-Nice transparency
-3D spatiality with fully present center stage
-Great imaging-layering
-Realist timbre
-Excellent all-arounder (even including gaming and movie watching)
-authoritative bass with tactile weight
-their nothing that sound like the Mext
-more musical than Mest MK2 (subjective)
-good cable, nice case and very welcome Azla eartips

THE MINUS:
-bass is a bit warm in definition and resolution compared to mids-treble
-lows are mid bass focus, lacking deep linear extension
-timbre is a hint compressed in density
-lack of air in overall spatiality
-capricious fitting to achieve supreme sound experience
-overly tight 2pin connector with rounded edge

1657339558114.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back