Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Jul 9, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #5,686 of 7,306
I have been listening to my new MEST Indigo last 2 days, it sounds sublime! destroys my previous iems completely (u6t, ie900, monarch).

i use a L&P W2 as my source atm, if anyones got recommendations to what to use let me know :) i think i might demo the chord mojo 2 soon.
Yep. I’ve had my indigos with Mojo 2 for three days now. Previously I was using mojo 2 with Mest2 and that was a potent combination with some tasteful EQ. The Indigo is a few steps up from mk2 in many many ways esp treble but I’ve yet to do an A/B comparison. The EQ on mojo2 makes it hit way above its price point. Many people ditching their Hugo 2 as they prefer M2!!!

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #5,687 of 7,306
I have been listening to my new MEST Indigo last 2 days, it sounds sublime! destroys my previous iems completely (u6t, ie900, monarch).

i use a L&P W2 as my source atm, if anyones got recommendations to what to use let me know :) i think i might demo the chord mojo 2 soon.
Don’t even bother demoing the Mojo 2 just jump right in. It’s a huge step up from Mojo 1 and that was a huge step up from my Earmen Sparrow which is on par with your L&P from memory (in balanced)

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #5,689 of 7,306

Are you looking for a portable player or a home unit to be used as the source?

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #5,691 of 7,306
a portable dac/amp so i can use it outdoors and in bed (bluetooth would be a plus)

I original used the W2 and upgraded from there to a Shanling M6 pro 21. The Shanling house sound imho works well with the Mest MKii. I wouldn’t suggest the M6 I have due to android 7.1 but something like the new Shanling M7 or M9 might be worth checking out. On the M6 I have the Wi-Fi range is excellent and sound is great.

Not sure the price range you considering but figured I toss out the Shanling line out there as a option to consider.

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #5,692 of 7,306
Thanks. It can stick out at me unfortunately. I'll keep playing around for now, but it's frustrating.

Edit: I haven't heard anyone describe the Mests as sibilant, so I'm not sure why they are to me.
Wanna trade your Indigos for my Mk2 Ukraine editions 🤣 +cash? /j

Jul 12, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #5,693 of 7,306
Understanding capacitor burn-in or the forming of the dielectric can help one understand why a cable with its insulation/dielectric also benefits from forming. Here’s a site that discusses/demonstrates this phenomenon.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/capacitor-burn-in-break-in.81355/
There is no such thing. Only residual charge on the plates of the capacitors. I calibrate O scopes and measure transmission lines for a living. I have repaired that particular O Scope in the photos in the linked discussion.

The channel with the replaced capacitor should have been run up to the RMS voltage and discharged multiple times but not for the reasons suspected; then the input channel reactance should have been adjusted for low/mid/high frequency response using a calibrated square wave input for reference for a flat response without sag or over/under shoot.

Those old Tektronix can be adjusted in in 6 ways per channel including the delay line an additional 6 ways.

In terms of transmission lines, the only characteristics that matter are RLC characteristic impedance and dielectric breakdown voltage (which would destroy your IEM's/Headphones). The former addresses line loss and sensitivity to AC change/time; source output impedance is more an issue for the load.

I hope you take this information into consideration.

Very Respectfully,
Ohmsclaw

Edit: there's no way to know the OP did not calibrate the Tek with publicly available PDF user documents and some screwdrivers. Especially displaying a sinusoidal test signal; a square wave would have been extremely revealing to anyone who has experience with these units.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #5,694 of 7,306
There is no such thing. Only residual charge on the plates of the capacitors. I calibrate O scopes and measure transmission lines for a living. I have repaired that particular O Scope in the photos in the linked discussion.

The channel with the replaced capacitor should have been run up to the RMS voltage and discharged multiple times but not for the reasons suspected; then the input channel reactance should have been adjusted for low/mid/high frequency response using a calibrated square wave input for reference for a flat response without sag or over/under shoot.

Those old Tektronix can be adjusted in in 6 ways per channel including the delay line an additional 6 ways.

In terms of transmission lines, the only characteristics that matter are RLC characteristic impedance and dielectric breakdown voltage (which would destroy your IEM's/Headphones). The former addresses line loss and sensitivity to AC change/time; source output impedance is more an issue for the load.

I hope you take this information into consideration.

Very Respectfully,
Ohmsclaw

Edit: there's no way to know the OP did not calibrate the Tek with publicly available PDF user documents and some screwdrivers. Especially displaying a sinusoidal test signal; a square wave would have been extremely revealing to anyone who has experience with these units.

We can agree to disagree. ✌️

Jul 12, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #5,695 of 7,306
Last edited:
Unique Melody Feel free to reach out to us at any time! To reach me personally, leave me a PM or email me at umwang@uniquemelody.org and I'll get back to you as soon as I can! Stay updated on Unique Melody at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/UniqueMelodyIEM/ https://twitter.com/UniqueMelodyIEM http://en.uniquemelody.org/ uniquemelodyusa@gmail.com
Jul 14, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #5,696 of 7,306
Reached a whole new leveling of enjoyment with my Mest Mkii. Updated my dac and now that’s it’s fully burned in the Mest mkii have never sounded this good. Was considering upgrading to the indigo but decided to first upgrade dac. Have to say I’m super happy I did.
The improvements I’m hearing really blew my mind, it’s amazing how well the mest mkii scales up with better equipment. I’m in audio bliss and had to share it with my fellow mest mkii lovers.
I never knew music could sound this awesome I’m either smiling ear to ear or killing my spouse with my bad singing along. When music sound good enough it bring you to tears in enjoyment the money you spent to get there was well worth it.

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #5,697 of 7,306
Just got mest MKII yesterday and I am loving it. Pairing it with my UTWS5 and it is more than enough to drive the MKII. Coming from Hook-X, the detail and resolution are definitely on a different level on the MKII. I was afraid the MKII will sound anemic but the bass is very satisfying and enough for me.
20220713_181325.jpg
My mistake to visit this subforum, indigo is coming tomorrow! x)

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #5,698 of 7,306
Any DAP recommendation under $1000 that pair up well with MKII and Indigo?

Jul 15, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #5,699 of 7,306
Jul 15, 2022 at 1:18 AM Post #5,700 of 7,306

Users who are viewing this thread

Back