Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Apr 19, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #5,536 of 7,306
I’ve not heard the FH7 but I have owned the FH5. It was three pairs ago so I can’t compare directly but MEST mk2 > Oriveti O400 >> 7hz Timeless >> Fiio FH5. If muffled is a word you are describing the MEST with, something is wrong. Either a defective unit or a bad fit. The BTR5 isn’t ideal for the Mk2 as it loves power but it’s more than enough to give a solid experience with.
The FH7 is much clearer and more mature sounding than the FH5 but it still shouldn't be able to compete with these, and they honestly just sound kinda bad now. I already got in touch with Andrew from
Music teck, he seems like a solid dude

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #5,537 of 7,306
The FH7 is much clearer and more mature sounding than the FH5 but it still shouldn't be able to compete with these, and they honestly just sound kinda bad now. I already got in touch with Andrew from
Music teck, he seems like a solid dude

Andrew is awesome and I have no doubt he'll make sure you're taken care of. One of the best vendors I've dealt with.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #5,538 of 7,306
Massive props to Unique Melody for doing this, and the Head-Fi community for supporting this effort!

Knowing UM, they will sound as good as they look!

They're my first UM earphones and they've been nothing but impressive since I opened the packaging. Out of the three IEMs in my possession (64 Nios, EE EVOs) the Mests are my favorite. I'm now eyeing the Indigos :ksc75smile:

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #5,539 of 7,306
I know that reading about someone's experience with tips is about as exciting as listening to your co-worker tell you about a dream they had last night - interesting to him but....

Let me be that co-worker. :ksc75smile:

If you like a wide bore IEM tip on the Mest, and/or if you use the stock blue silicones, you might want to try these: BGVP WM01. Fit wise they are pretty much the same as the stock blue's (medium for medium). These (YMMV) really refined the treble region for me. Some of the decay on other tips was just a little too lingering. Bass is sternum-punching level. Mid's stay where they should - in the middle - no bleed in either direction.

You can go back to work now.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #5,540 of 7,306
I know that reading about someone's experience with tips is about as exciting as listening to your co-worker tell you about a dream they had last night - interesting to him but....

Let me be that co-worker. :ksc75smile:

If you like a wide bore IEM tip on the Mest, and/or if you use the stock blue silicones, you might want to try these: BGVP WM01. Fit wise they are pretty much the same as the stock blue's (medium for medium). These (YMMV) really refined the treble region for me. Some of the decay on other tips was just a little too lingering. Bass is sternum-punching level. Mid's stay where they should - in the middle - no bleed in either direction.

You can go back to work now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001452900039.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802bzMG7Y
Link doesn't work

Apr 24, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #5,543 of 7,306
IEM remix and rewind evening.

Rewinding to one of my first IEMs, UM MEST Mk2 - remixed with Eletech Project 8 Prudence and M17 in Enhanced Over-ear Headphone Mode (DC power). Goodness the bone conduction was working overtime with this trio - textural sub bass, deep layered bass that just wants make you shake your groove thang, excellent details, tamed treble, improved mids. Goodness this is best I've heard Mk2 - colorful, energetic, boogietastic.

Note: Paired the the Mk2II + P8 Prudence with N8ii (less sub bass, still enjoyable but as visceral as M17 in EO-EHM and larger soundstage) and 3MAX SS (oddly not the best synergy - a bit flat)

IMG_4843.jpeg

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #5,544 of 7,306
Just wanted to really recommend using Moondrop Spring tips for MEST MK2 & Indigo

Best tips I've tried! I'm using small tips and they got the best comfort and sound quality for MEST after quite a lot of tip rolling...

Just got Indigo yesterday (also have MK2) and I'm thoroughly impressed
The Indigos became my favorites 👍

I also tried different tips and found these to be a great option:
20220424_132543.gif
👍
Click that pic for the "gif" image to show how it bends into ear!

Screenshot_20220424-082757_Amazon Shopping.jpg
They go on pretty easily over the metal tip.
I used the large size on right:
SmartSelect_20220424-134824_Amazon Shopping.jpg
One I push in ear it stays good without feeling tight in ear canal.
I guess it's because the tip flex.
👍

Andrew is awesome and I have no doubt he'll make sure you're taken care of. One of the best vendors I've dealt with.
IMO, Definitely the best of all east coast US.

Mests are my favorite. I'm now eyeing the Indigos :ksc75smile:
The Indigos turned out to be the ideal stop for me, before considering whether to be going down the money trail other "better" IEMs.

I am surprised this unit doesn't get more attention as it ticks all the boxes, and reaches TOTL level qualities.
It has the 3 type driver design I prefer due to thier specific performance/timbre/tonalities in each range:
DD bass, BA mids, ES trebles.
It also had one of biggest soundstage, and resolution reaching TOTL level.

Like the U12T I had before it, it ticks all the boxes, as an "all arounder" while reaching a higher resolve.
I have compared the Indigo with some others like the Odin & Traillii , and can say that while others are tempting IEMs, the Indigo is not taking a second place to them, which makes it a great choice.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #5,545 of 7,306
The Indigos became my favorites 👍

I also tried different tips and found these to be a great option:

They go on pretty easily over the metal tip.
I used the large size on right:

One I push in ear it stays good without feeling tight in ear canal.
I guess it's because the tip flex.
👍

IMO, Definitely the best of all east coast US.

The Indigos turned out to be the ideal stop for me, before considering whether to be going down the money trail other "better" IEMs.

I am surprised this unit doesn't get more attention as it ticks all the boxes, and reaches TOTL level qualities.
It has the 3 type driver design I prefer due to thier specific performance/timbre/tonalities in each range:
DD bass, BA mids, ES trebles.
It also had one of biggest soundstage, and resolution reaching TOTL level.

Like the U12T I had before it, it ticks all the boxes, as an "all arounder" while reaching a higher resolve.
I have compared the Indigo with some others like the Odin & Traillii , and can say that while others are tempting IEMs, the Indigo is not taking a second place to them, which makes it a great choice.
Cool I'll give those a try as well!

I'm already using a set of CP145 with my AKG N400NC

Nice to hear they can go to toe with things like the Bird and Odin :)

Btw, are you using the stock Indigo cable? I quite like the stock M2 copper cable that came with MK2 over the M3 Indigo cable which means I'll probably end up grabbing a different cable (probably silver litz instead of copper)

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #5,547 of 7,306
Btw, are you using the stock Indigo cable? I quite like the stock M2 copper cable that came with MK2 over the M3 Indigo cable which means I'll probably end up grabbing a different cable (probably silver litz instead of copper)
I was liking the stock cable very much, but after comparing them to my all silver "Effect Audio Cleopatra" cable, I realized that the image with stock cable has a bit less separation, so image center was a bit more distanced and obscure. This is by a very small amount, but so yes you can increase your resolve with a good cable.
The issue is that this IEM already has a good low end, so expensive copper cables like the "1960s" may not be as optimal as a good silver cable. I find most copper to highlight the lower registers, while the better cables are more neutral and more noticeably different in the trebles range.

I really was hoping to sell my silver cable and just use the stock cable, but for me I found it was not at highest level as their "1960s" cable(which is just an unparalleled copper cable for any IEM), and not as clear as my silver.
So stock is not enough for me after trying the two others I mentioned.
In perspective, it was a good stock cable, just not at the highest level.

My "Cleopatra" cable seemed the highest performer for a silver cable at it's price range. I didn't want to go crazy with expensive wire purchases, so I put a limit on that, and MusicTeck was the best place to buy, for me.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:46 PM Post #5,548 of 7,306
I was liking the stock cable very much, but after comparing them to my all silver "Effect Audio Cleopatra" cable, I realized that the image with stock cable has a bit less separation, so image center was a bit more distanced and obscure. This is by a very small amount, but so yes you can increase your resolve with a good cable.
The issue is that this IEM already has a good low end, so expensive copper cables like the "1960s" may not be as optimal as a good silver cable. I find most copper to highlight the lower registers, while the better cables are more neutral and more noticeably different in the trebles range.

I really was hoping to sell my silver cable and just use the stock cable, but for me I found it was not at highest level as their "1960s" cable(which is just an unparalleled copper cable for any IEM), and not as clear as my silver.
So stock is not enough for me after trying the two others I mentioned.
In perspective, it was a good stock cable, just not at the highest level.

My "Cleopatra" cable seemed the highest performer for a silver cable at it's price range. I didn't want to go crazy with expensive wire purchases, so I put a limit on that, and MusicTeck was the best place to buy, for me.

My gripe was that I found that the stock cable and my HiBy RS6 (which is already a flavor DAP) make Indigo's mid bass exaggerated and vocals a bit too forward for my preference. They sound a bit funky compared to how they sound with the M2 cable that I'm used to from my MK2

Glad to get confirmation on going with silver instead of copper. A friend had already suggested MEST, in general, will pair better with silver litz

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #5,549 of 7,306
My gripe was that I found that the stock cable and my HiBy RS6 (which is already a flavor DAP) make Indigo's mid bass exaggerated and vocals a bit too forward for my preference. They sound a bit funky compared to how they sound with the M2 cable that I'm used to from my MK2

Glad to get confirmation on going with silver instead of copper. A friend had already suggested MEST, in general, will pair better with silver litz
M2 cable is an amazing cable. It presents the music to you instead of feeling like I'm right in front of the singer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back