Unique Melody Bone Conduction Family (MEST&MEXT and their siblings) Announcement and Impression Thread.
Mar 12, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #1,906 of 7,365
@UniqueMelody soundstage and holographic sensation is same as MK1?
I love my UM Mest OG. The sound stage and imaging are the features I like the most and what gives them ear time in my IEM portfolio. I like what I am reading about the MKII, but I am not likely to upgrade even with the stated improvements because I like what I have.

For the record, even though I only recently purchased the UM Mest, it doesn't really bother me that UM is introducing a new and improved version. It's just a new IEM and more IEMs in the market give us more choices. The only thing I don't like is the effect it will have on the resale value of the UM Mest OG.

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #1,908 of 7,365
I'm quite intrigued by the MEST Mk II if for no other reason than it's the first time I can recall marketing that referred to something being tuned to "Western musical preferences". As someone who loved the OG MEST I'm waiting for impressions of these with bated breath :)

Mar 12, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,909 of 7,365
the flat connector is too fragile, I hate it ...
6 months, or maybe less, there will be a lot of complains about a loose connector,

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #1,910 of 7,365
I'm quite intrigued by the MEST Mk II if for no other reason than it's the first time I can recall marketing that referred to something being tuned to "Western musical preferences". As someone who loved the OG MEST I'm waiting for impressions of these with bated breath :)
Your post made me think of Panda Express. So, the MKII is the Panda Express of IEMs. Haha.

Mar 12, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #1,911 of 7,365
I'm in for MkII, looking forward to cross-reviews! A bit worried sentence "western music preference", is bothering me too, as original MEST is highly regarded as one of the best IEMs around, hope UM sticks with that OG pillar, with a few twists. Yes, I'm looking for authentic Chinese cuisine, not something like Pf. Chang.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #1,912 of 7,365
I am inch away from pulling the trigger on the mk2, need to hold my self,
do not blind buy,
need a review first, 😁

Mar 12, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #1,913 of 7,365
As someone who bought the MEST a few months ago, I have zero buyer’s remorse, and if you do, you shouldn’t either. The existence of a Mk II shouldn’t change that at all for anyone, and here’s why:

First, newer doesn’t necessarily mean better when it comes to revisions. Even with minor revisions to IEMs, there’s often disagreement on which is actually “better.” This is tricky because no one hears identically to someone else.

This will be more challenging with the MEST Mk II because the Mk II is a more radical revision than most. The new BC driver is now being asked to do much more than it did before. There are plenty of people who like the MEST, myself included, who have no idea what the BC is actually doing in the MEST and can’t point to what it’s doing while listening. Because the change is larger, I expect there to be a larger divide between those who like the original more than the Mk II and vice versa.

Second, fit will still be a challenge on the Mk II. The one thing I was hoping would change here that didn’t is that the nozzles seem to be the same length as the original, meaning that these are still deep insertion IEMs. With the MEST, you need to maximize contact with your ear to get the BC driver to work well, meaning you need to insert pretty deep. While the nozzle may be a little thinner, it’s still long.

Third, let’s assume that your buyers remorse is correct: Mk II comes out and blows the original out of the water, and everyone agrees that it’s the most amazing thing ever. That’s great news! Then, you know you can get a custom fit version, knowing that it’s a better version of something you already own and enjoy, and now you never need to get another IEM ever again!

I do like the look of the Mk II and hope it turns out great, but don’t blindly assume that it’s better just because it has a “II” in the name.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #1,914 of 7,365
The original MEST is perfect for me. I get a good fit and I love the sound. Not sure if I need MEST 2

Mar 12, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #1,916 of 7,365
I will be receiving a MEST MKii by the end of this month and compare it with my MEST OG. A comprehensive review will be made. Stay tuned. :)

Mar 12, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,917 of 7,365
I’ve been interested in the Mest since its release, but something held me off from buying one. The MKII looks very nice, I like the slimmer, more sculpted shell. I’m also happy that UM not only improved the quality of the cable, but now offer different balanced connector options.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #1,919 of 7,365
Actually, I found musicteck is open for pre-order, I pulled my trigger...$1.5K is the upper limit of my IEM budget, but the only thing I was concerning. the fit, seems not the issue anymore from the look. @UniqueMelody any ETAs of first fulfillment?

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #1,920 of 7,365
just a bummer question, is the 2.5mm stock cable balanced? I assume it is, just to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back