Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Mar 28, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #781 of 1,469
I just got the 3DT yesterday. I completely agree with your take on "tone and timbre" of an IEM. For these IEMs, it is their signature to me.

I am in the first phase. I love the bass on the 3DT. My only problem with it is the rolled off treble. Yesterday, I spent most of the day A/B testing the L&P W2 DAC/Amp which pairs brilliantly with the 3DT. But, my reference IEM was the EE Odins. Once I switched to the 3DT, the glaring hole was in the treble response. But, what I did hear was something I really liked and still like now which is the tone and timbre of the 3DT.
It's tough to compare to something like that. I found myself comparing my 3DT to my Elysium and had to later step back and realize that even in comparing I was granting the 3DT a huge compliment.

Mar 28, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #782 of 1,469
While the 3DT is not very extended in the treble, I think the upper treble trails off in a natural manner, and thus, to me, doesn’t sound “rolled off”. I also like that there is still some air, w/o the artificial sounding prominent upper treble like some well extended IEMs can create (with BAs or ESTs).

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #783 of 1,469
While the 3DT doesn't have the endless airiness of the Elysium, I don't hear them as rolled off much either. I guess it's about what you get used to. I have recently heard an iem that had a "rolled off" treble and the boost in the upper mids to compensate got fatiguing. I don't get any of that from the 3DT and the benefits of a proper treble to the sense of decay in a note are there on the 3DT so if they are indeed rolled off, I don't hear it as such.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #784 of 1,469
Once the IEM is burned in, I'm planning to try the 3DT with my Eletech Prudence cable too! Will write a post here if I hear anything exceptional :)

I'm looking at the Eletech Prudence to do double duty on these and my incoming Bravado 2. Were there appreciable benefits in the pairing?

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #785 of 1,469
It's tough to compare to something like that. I found myself comparing my 3DT to my Elysium and had to later step back and realize that even in comparing I was granting the 3DT a huge compliment.
I completely agree. It took me an hour for my ears to adjust, but once it did, I loved the sound. My intention was not to compare the 3DT to the Odin as that would be an unreasonable comparison. I am just saying that my listening experience was initially colored by what I was doing earlier in the day. For me, I have a collection of IEMs across the price spectrum and I love them all and for different reasons. I got these IEMs because I wanted to hear what an all DD IEM sounded like and whether or not it would translate to improved tone and timbre and it really does. My intent was to compare the 3DT to my Dusks. I would say that the Dusks have a slightly different tuning that I also like and sub bass emphasis. The 3DT has better tone and coherence across the spectrum and that's what I really like about it. I would say that I prefer the 3DT to the Dusks.

Interestingly, when I heard the 3DT, my very first impression was that it sounded a lot like the Z1R in tonality and coherence of the bass. The overall signature is different, but that one element reminded me of them and it's also what I like about the Z1Rs.

I did listen across all genres of music that I listen and they sounded good on everything including Jazz and Classical due to the tonality, timbre and coherence. I like it so much I looked past anything that was missing from my initial impression. Then, I did a more A/B comparison of the Odin with the 3DT on sound stage, imaging and tonality. The biggest difference is that the Odins have much better layering, separation and 3D sound stage. I could pick out how the timbre wasn't consistent due to the BA in it. That was interesting. I could only hear it when I did the A/B test.

I can say that I don't like the stock cable very much. I swapped it out with a mini-MEST cable to picked up from someone who had an extra one because I really like the stock cable of the UM Mest and so I thought this would be a good cable. It is. It noticeably improved the sound. Better sound stage and more clarity. Not bad for a $50 cable.

Anyway, I've got to run. I'll try to provide more impressions later. You guys made a great discovery with this IEM.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:30 PM Post #786 of 1,469
I completely agree. It took me an hour for my ears to adjust, but once it did, I loved the sound. My intention was not to compare the 3DT to the Odin as that would be an unreasonable comparison. I am just saying that my listening experience was initially colored by what I was doing earlier in the day. For me, I have a collection of IEMs across the price spectrum and I love them all and for different reasons. I got these IEMs because I wanted to hear what an all DD IEM sounded like and whether or not it would translate to improved tone and timbre and it really does. My intent was to compare the 3DT to my Dusks. I would say that the Dusks have a slightly different tuning that I also like and sub bass emphasis. The 3DT has better tone and coherence across the spectrum and that's what I really like about it. I would say that I prefer the 3DT to the Dusks.

Interestingly, when I heard the 3DT, my very first impression was that it sounded a lot like the Z1R in tonality and coherence of the bass. The overall signature is different, but that one element reminded me of them and it's also what I like about the Z1Rs.

I did listen across all genres of music that I listen and they sounded good on everything including Jazz and Classical due to the tonality, timbre and coherence. I like it so much I looked past anything that was missing from my initial impression. Then, I did a more A/B comparison of the Odin with the 3DT on sound stage, imaging and tonality. The biggest difference is that the Odins have much better layering, separation and 3D sound stage. I could pick out how the timbre wasn't consistent due to the BA in it. That was interesting. I could only hear it when I did the A/B test.

I can say that I don't like the stock cable very much. I swapped it out with a mini-MEST cable to picked up from someone who had an extra one because I really like the stock cable of the UM Mest and so I thought this would be a good cable. It is. It noticeably improved the sound. Better sound stage and more clarity. Not bad for a $50 cable.

Anyway, I've got to run. I'll try to provide more impressions later. You guys made a great discovery with this IEM.

I completely understand. Even if it's not fair, it's hard not to compare whatever iems are in a collection regardless of the price difference. I do it all the time and have to remember the diminishing returns. The last 10% can be everything and be completely worth the huge disparity in price but it's pretty amazing when something so reasonably priced gets so close in so many important ways.. The more time I spend with the 3DT, the more I like them.

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #787 of 1,469
0DE5BB63-0F3A-4B6E-867E-96204BC54767.jpeg

1BFE773A-0DA5-4371-BA19-E61A4AFBDFBE.jpeg

Love how 3DT renders Piano sonatas! It is my go to IEM for classical music.

Mar 28, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #789 of 1,469
How is the driver flex with those tips? I find the seal of the JVC Spiral Dots very good but the right earphone has a very piercing driver flex when I insert it.
I've ordered the Spinfit CP145-L because my 155-L have not good seal (bass disappear) and the CP100 are M size (wrong size purchased) se they are too small for my ears.
I hear no driver flex at all. But I haven't experienced it with any of the tips I've used on the 3DT.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #790 of 1,469
Interesting. One guy thinks that the highs are rolled off...another guy thinks the bass is light...and yet another guy (me) thinks that there is too much sub-bass. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

I still like the 3DT. I like it a lot. Consider me pleased (even if I do wish it had a little less sub-bass).

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #791 of 1,469
I just got the 3DT yesterday. I completely agree with your take on "tone and timbre" of an IEM. For these IEMs, it is their signature to me.

I am in the first phase. I love the bass on the 3DT. My only problem with it is the rolled off treble. Yesterday, I spent most of the day A/B testing the L&P W2 DAC/Amp which pairs brilliantly with the 3DT. But, my reference IEM was the EE Odins. Once I switched to the 3DT, the glaring hole was in the treble response. But, what I did hear was something I really liked and still like now which is the tone and timbre of the 3DT.
Keep on listening, the treble will open up

Mar 29, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #792 of 1,469
Interesting. One guy thinks that the highs are rolled off...another guy thinks the bass is light...and yet another guy (me) thinks that there is too much sub-bass. You can't please all of the people all of the time.

I still like the 3DT. I like it a lot. Consider me pleased (even if I do wish it had a little less sub-bass).

Here me out: When I first got it, I found they are bright, but that suits my taste perfectly. Neither did I find highs do not have energy, nor did I feel the urge to mod it to smoothen treble spiked. It's not in my face, it's not too far in the background either. Liked it instantly. My only beef was that the midrange was a little behind...that too improved over time.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #793 of 1,469

It’s pretty wild how different the opinions are. But I’m starting to wonder how much the source is the cause rather than just our ears because I get a very different bass response between the Sony zx507 and the Qudelix 5k/iPhone as source.

Mar 29, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #794 of 1,469
It’s pretty wild how different the opinions are. But I’m starting to wonder how much the source is the cause rather than just our ears because I get a very different bass response between the Sony zx507 and the Qudelix 5k/iPhone as source.
Audiophile is complicated.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #795 of 1,469
The new Dunu EST112 up against 3DT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back