Unique Melody 3D Terminator 3DT Announcement Thread
Mar 21, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #751 of 1,469
Yes, the ER4 certainly is, for a very neutral (+/- slight bass boost) sounding IEM. It also provides superb isolation, if willing to have deep insertion IEMs. It is still a reference product.
I’m in total agreement here.

I know it sounds crazy, but If I were forced to keep only one IEM in my collection it would probably be the ER4XR. To me, it sounds more pleasing than the ER4SR. I like the slightly elevated bass. Definitely needs a tight seal and deep insertion to sound correct. But for a more reference tonality, its tough to beat for the price. Even Crinacle and some of the other reviewers have it pretty high up their lists.

For now though, I am loving the UM 3DT. I’m almost obsessed with it at this point. And….it is definitely sounding better over time. My only negatives are 1) the difficulty I’ve had finding eartips that work well with it for me due to my ear structure. 2) getting a great seal is critical to having the proper bass tonality with it. 3) Both IEM metal nozzles have come off and needed to be reglued which makes me wonder if UM needs to rethink how this part is engineered/attached.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #752 of 1,469
Both IEM metal nozzles have come off and needed to be reglued
Oh man, that stinks. I’m sure Andrew is taking care of things well, but I hope it was a very rare occurrence.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #753 of 1,469
Oh man, that stinks. I’m sure Andrew is taking care of things well, but I hope it was a very rare occurrence.
Not too big a deal. I reglued them myself with no issues and they have been fine ever since. It might be something others need to be aware of though as the eartip and nozzle could come off in one’s ear although this didn’t happen to me. They both came off at different times as I was removing an eartip. I’m very cautious so I know it wasn’t me. After inspection, it appeared the nozzles were only attached around the very tip near the screen and not around the entire shell. Just something to be careful and aware of.

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #755 of 1,469
I’m in total agreement here.

I know it sounds crazy, but If I were forced to keep only one IEM in my collection it would probably be the ER4XR. To me, it sounds more pleasing than the ER4SR. I like the slightly elevated bass. Definitely needs a tight seal and deep insertion to sound correct. But for a more reference tonality, its tough to beat for the price. Even Crinacle and some of the other reviewers have it pretty high up their lists.

For now though, I am loving the UM 3DT. I’m almost obsessed with it at this point. And….it is definitely sounding better over time. My only negatives are 1) the difficulty I’ve had finding eartips that work well with it for me due to my ear structure. 2) getting a great seal is critical to having the proper bass tonality with it. 3) Both IEM metal nozzles have come off and needed to be reglued which makes me wonder if UM needs to rethink how this part is engineered/attached.
Hmmm.. i bought the ER4SR about 2 years ago and returned it because sound was dropping out (bad cable connection) out of the box, and I thought the build quality was shabby. Not trying to be rude but that was my experience. It sounded great, tho.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #756 of 1,469
Hmmm.. i bought the ER4SR about 2 years ago and returned it because sound was dropping out (bad cable connection) out of the box, and I thought the build quality was shabby. Not trying to be rude but that was my experience. It sounded great, tho.
Always a chance you could get a dud. Mine have always worked fine. The only issue I have had is occasionally having the triple flange tips come off deep in my ear canal and having to use tweezers to get them out. Not fun!

Right now though, I am really enjoying the 3DT more. I am pretty addicted to this sound signature.

Mar 22, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #757 of 1,469
Too bad that was your experience. Unfortunately, no product is immune to defects. FWIW, I haven’t had any problems with either of my Etys.
Always a chance you could get a dud. Mine have always worked fine. The only issue I have had is occasionally having the triple flange tips come off deep in my ear canal and having to use tweezers to get them out. Not fun!

Right now though, I am really enjoying the 3DT more. I am pretty addicted to this sound signature.
Seriously!! I can‘t imagine how that happens. :astonished: For me, the triple flange tips take a whole lot of effort to put them on and take them off.

Given the thread we are in, as much as I like the smooth, accurate, neutral sound of the Etys, the 3DTs sound TOTL to me. I am very pleased using it with all genres of music.

Mar 22, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #758 of 1,469
Seriously!! I can‘t imagine how that happens. :astonished: For me, the triple flange tips take a whole lot of effort to put them on and take them off.
It happened with the older gray triple flanges. I think the sleeve would get stretched at the nozzle over time and eventually loosen. The newer translucent ones haven’t come off on me yet.

Mar 23, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #759 of 1,469
Why the triple flange? Why not just tip roll...?

Mar 23, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #760 of 1,469
Why the triple flange? Why not just tip roll...?
I wasn’t able to get a good seal with anything else as I have very little second bend to my ears and large canals. The foams were okay but they seemed to darken them a bit much. The newer double flanges came close to sealing but not on the right ear and also seemed to negatively impact the overall tonality. I really like the sound the ER4s have with the triples. The ER4 also really needs to have deep insertion to get its intended tonal profile at the eardrum. Its a bit finicky if you ask me.

Mar 23, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #761 of 1,469
Closing in on 100 hours and I can truly say the 3DT is in my top 5 as one of the best value earphones I own (punching quite a bit above its price), and one of the best all-dynamic drivers earphones I've ever heard. I would also have to add that it's the best multi-dynamic driver earphone I ever heard. It's not just great instrument separation and digging out the micro-details, but the layering of the sound and the positioning of the instruments are amazing!

Mar 23, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #762 of 1,469
Closing in on 100 hours and I can truly say the 3DT is in my top 5 as one of the best value earphones I own (punching quite a bit above its price), and one of the best all-dynamic drivers earphones I've ever heard. I would also have to add that it's the best multi-dynamic driver earphone I ever heard. It's not just great instrument separation and digging out the micro-details, but the layering of the sound and the positioning of the instruments are amazing!
CONFIRMING Ericp10s experience above. despite BGGG accurate criticisms of the treble smear with hot tracks, my brain likes it better that almost every other earphone in my collection for a lively, live club like presentation. i usee Sedna Aelastic tips and and balanced IMRaudio silver copper cable. cable switching is a bit treacherouos due to idiosynchacies of the two pin sockets, e.g. Penon 839 GS simply would not fit and bent pins, so im sticking with IMR cable for now which fits great. Penon Fiery also did not fit right, so it may just be the Penon cables. Longing to try Effect audio Ares2 or such, but holding my hand now....its pretty much ideal sound for me
out of Centrance M8V2 from LG V50 or out of HIBY 5. the Tone2 dacamp out of LG50 is the clearest detailed presentation......

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #763 of 1,469
CONFIRMING Ericp10s experience above. despite BGGG accurate criticisms of the treble smear with hot tracks, my brain likes it better that almost every other earphone in my collection for a lively, live club like presentation. i usee Sedna Aelastic tips and and balanced IMRaudio silver copper cable. cable switching is a bit treacherouos due to idiosynchacies of the two pin sockets, e.g. Penon 839 GS simply would not fit and bent pins, so im sticking with IMR cable for now which fits great. Penon Fiery also did not fit right, so it may just be the Penon cables. Longing to try Effect audio Ares2 or such, but holding my hand now....its pretty much ideal sound for me
out of Centrance M8V2 from LG V50 or out of HIBY 5. the Tone2 dacamp out of LG50 is the clearest detailed presentation......

My Fearless cable has been a tough challenge too! I was sure to bend pins, but in the end I figured out to plug them... with a lot of patience!

Mar 23, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #764 of 1,469
Which ear tips do you use? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back